Those who didn't/don't like exercising, how long until it became a habit for you?

Options
Can you share your experiences? Thank you!

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I've been in and out of the gym since 1989 and what I've found that if I can break 3 months without missing a workout, then I'm on autopilot from there.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    A couple months.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a month or two. for the easy stuff, it was loved right away (aerial yoga) and I wanted to make it habit right away. things took a bit longer for harder things (running)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Two weeks of lifting and I was hooked.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    About 2 months or so for running, but then I started lifting and it only took about 3 weeks for me to fall in love. Haven't even thought of stopping.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Couple of months I think? I had a strict schedule to begin with and now I mostly freewheel never going more than a couple of days before I get really antsy to sweat!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for "exercising" in general (I love to do outdoor activities, many of which could be classified as "exercise").

I've generally been less than enthusiastic about indoor "exercise". With the exception being weightlifting -- after a couple of weeks of doing barbells in a structured program, I knew I'd found an indoor activity I actually enjoyed. Still haven't found an indoor cardio activity that doesn't bore me to tears.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started doing it with friends that it became a regular part of my life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Early on, it was just something I made myself do, like going to work everyday. Personally, I didn't really enjoy what I was doing but knew it needed to be done. I started lifting about 4 months into my little safari of good livin' and took to that pretty much right off the bat...I had lifted on and off throughout the years, but never really followed any kind of structured programming until then...having a structured program made all the difference there.

I was still forcing myself at that time to go run and whatnot because the cardiovascular aspect of fitness is very important for me and some of my health conditions so I just sucked it up. I decided to start training for a sprint triathlon a few months later and that's when I discovered my bike...I never did do the sprint, but I've become an avid cyclist...I love to ride.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yep, finding what you love is key. I'm not a lifter but I enjoy weighted HIIT/cardio type training and bodyweight stuff. I enjoy the odd shortish run. I bore easily so it's essential I'm constantly changing what I'm doing. I despise the gym so run outside and workout at home. Others enjoy distance running and cycling and find it meditative. So find what works and it becomes a lot easier to make a habit of it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have exercised on and off since 1994. Running, weights, gym and whatever else floated my boat at the time. I started diligently on 10/26/15 and have exercised all but 11 days since then. I know I have to in order to get stronger and leaner.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout. I was hooked after my first pole class. It's the best feeling in the world (emotionally, not always physically) nailing a move. It's such a freaking high. I now own a personal pole so I could work out as much as I want, outside of my weekly private lesson, which turns out to be about 3-4 times a week. I can't get enough of it. It doesn't matter that my body stays covered in bruises b/c of it, b/c those bruises show how hard I've been working.

When I first started working out, it was T25, which was good b/c it was a program. You workout these days for 25 minutes. Easy (not the dvds, but the layout). It took about 3 weeks for me to really get in the habit and enjoy it. I never really hated it b/c it was 25 minutes and then it was over. Now, I can't imagine not working out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always liked walking so walking is still my main exercise (just at an incline on the treadmill) although I added some spinning while watching Netflix too...

Honestly I feel bad when I take a rest day now. I just can't stand not being active anymore. I guess it took a few months... but the key is finding something you like doing (or don't mind too much).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Once I made a schedule, it was pretty much instant. I just told myself I was going at 6:15 on Monday/Wednesday to do certain specific things and at 12:30 on Tuesday/Thursday to do other specific things and that I was doing a long run of such-and-such distance every Saturday morning and then I felt like I had to do it. For me it's WAY easier with a plan and a goal (I have mileage/speed goals for running and a set routine for strength) because skipping a day or falling behind then has consequences to me.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    It took mma classes to get me in a routine I've now added other stuff as auxiliary to improve that.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Took me about 6 months before running was a part of my life. Still don't love it, but I'm out there doing it, rain or shine. (Today was rain. :'( )

I love biking, so that only took a few weeks. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to fit a 3 hour ride in, so I don't do it nearly as often as I'd like.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started when I was in 8th grade. I was a bit overweight so I started running on the treadmill at home a lot. Years passed, and I increased my intensity more. I enjoyed running but I started getting a gym membership before college. Some days it felt like a drag, but when I started seeing those small results it motivates me to keep going.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym. Really. Hate. It. And then I discovered that exercise wasn't limited to the gym. Until my back injury, I danced, rode bicycles, took hula hoop and poi-spinning classes, etc. Now I walk and swim, and find that if I miss a few days in the pool or don't get my feet under me my body starts missing it. But if you hate exercise, find something you love to do. Fitness isn't tied to the treadmill. :)
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga class but bc it's out of town it's easy to get lazy and want to skip once in a while. I booked my Little's piano lessons for the same time so that I can never skip!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    8-12 weeks for me, but I can break that in just 2 days. Frustrating!