TOO MUCH PROTEIN???

Options
Every day my goal on MFP is to eat 79 grams of protein, I am always going way over this limit- I am wondering if I should be trying to stick to that and I am supposed to be eating at maximum 79 grams or if I should continue as I am... I am eating like around 135 grams of protein give or take depending on the day. Basically is the goal for protein on MFP to eat at maximum 79 grams or is my goal to eat at minimum 79 grams- I hate seeing that little red -35 at the bottom.

Thank you!

Replies

• Encryptionzz
    Encryptionzz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight and level of exercise you can actually intake much more protein than 79 grams and be fine. People who just exercise and do not diet should aim to consume somewhere around 0.8-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily. If you're dieting and exercising, aim higher—between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight per day. Just manually change your macros in the settings to work around that.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Minimum. Same with fat.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    eh im 5'1 108lbs and eat between 100-150g protein every day just because thats how my macros end up if I eat what I want. I've been doing this for over 2 years
  • torayyyskinny
    torayyyskinny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight if that changes anything! I asked this as a status as well and I think the overall consensus is that 79 grams is my max I should be eating per day- Man I guess I gotta cut out some of the chicken I am eating haha Thanks everyone!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight if that changes anything! I asked this as a status as well and I think the overall consensus is that 79 grams is my max I should be eating per day- Man I guess I gotta cut out some of the chicken I am eating haha Thanks everyone!

I'd say that would be a minimum. Fwiw I'm on 210g a day, which is high, but I have no issues from it (I train 4-5 times a week, heavy strength based stuff)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

no you dont have to cut out your chicken. you can get anywhere from .6 grams of protein per lb of body weight up to 1gram per pound. you are fine,and if you are working out then it will go up a little. 79g is the least amount,its fine if you go over. to lose weight all you need to do is eat to your calorie goal,if you do that then you should be fine
  • torayyyskinny
    torayyyskinny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    crap this is confusing haha I guess that the most important thing is keeping my calories in line right now- you're right! Thanks everyone! I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing and if I'm not losing regularly then I will switch things up!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It depends on a person. Some people gain weight when eating too much protein, some people lose weight when eating too much protein. If you feel good while eating it, and you're satisfied with your progress I don't see a problem with you continuing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    It depends on a person. Some people gain weight when eating too much protein, some people lose weight when eating too much protein. If you feel good while eating it, and you're satisfied with your progress I don't see a problem with you continuing.

Weber they gain or lose has nothing to do with the amount of protein but if you're in a calorie surplus or deficit. My goal is based on 0.8g per lb of my goal weight. Yesterday I had 198g (way over goal, but I made protein cookie dough).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - the excess Protein will be converted to sugar - not a good thing normally. Reduce to your 79 grams, and stick to it. :)
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just as long as you don't get gout, don't worry. Protein is good for you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Just as long as you don't get gout, don't worry. Protein is good for you.

Eating a high protein diet does not cause gout; eating foods with too much purines does.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You are eating MFP's general macro goal. Change your goal to 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat. Then you won't get the little red number.

Cheers, h.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    79g of protein is NOT too much protein.. MFP's goals re: protein in particular are typically on the low-end or as others have stated - a minimum. i currently eat 160g of protein a day.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your intake of fibre is not to low if your pushing high numbers of protein
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    150 is fine, but too much protein can be dangerous. It can cause kidney damage and dehydration (at any higher amount) so if your inclined to kidney diseases if stick closer to your 79.
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stay hydrated! Taking in too much protein without adequate hydration is associated with kidney problems.
  • Claps1775
    Claps1775 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat 155 grams of protein a day if not more. I will be adding more when I up my gym time and workouts.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm stalking the kitchen and feel snacky on less than 110g protein. What's your LBM? You can match your LBM in grams of protein. So if your LBM is 115, eat 115g protein.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't trust MFP Macros. Use a different calculator if you're tracking your carbs / fats / protein like IIFYM calculator.