Evening binges?

Options
I will eat healthy all day. My planned and balanced meals and snacks. Comes 5/6pm it all goes down the drain!! Any advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Save calories for dessert every night. Perhaps something less calorie dense.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to find your trigger. For some people it's not eating enough earlier in the day. Some people have their calories set too low (they picked 2 pounds per week, but should pick 1 pound per week). Some it's boredom and others it is habit.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have vegetables cut up ... and dip in humuus.... not salad dressing...... Cut up an apple.... .... Eat items that would be zero points in weight watchers.... there's a list online of veggies from a to z.... try all of them... don't eat sugar laden snacks... You can do this...
  • LuanneScott1971
    LuanneScott1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You might try eating more earlier in the day for breakfast and lunch. Or maybe a substantial snack between lunch and dinner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I will eat healthy all day. My planned and balanced meals and snacks. Comes 5/6pm it all goes down the drain!! Any advice?

How many total calories did you eat before dinner and what time did you last eat?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I average 1200 a day, and eat a large dinner. After dinner I can eat my 100 calorie bag of popcorn. I stop eating by 7 pm. Kitchen is closed! I try to get to bed by 9-10 pm. Oh also I drink 80 oz of water a day, that helps keep me full. I drink a 32 oz water container with Crystal Light in it, during the morning. Then I have some brewed Moroccan Mint tea that I keep in the frig. I drank 50 oz from that. I try to drink all my water by 4pm. Then I am not floating all night! I am old though, and putting snack foods on my stomach then going to sleep makes me cranky all night. :-)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I always eat less during the day so that I can "splurge" at night. I can't sleep if I'm hungry.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am always hungrier at night, so I do better when I eat a small breakfast, medium lunch, and medium/large dinner. I also leave myself about 200 calories to use for an evening snack. If I don't eat this way, I am ravenous at night.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I basically don't eat at all during the day until the evening rolls around when the cravings hit. And now-a-days, the cravings hardly ever hit. I still get my calories, but usually save it for TV time at night when I have nothing else to do. Back when I used to shovel 4000-5000 calories on top of what I ate all day.
  • aparkermitchell
    aparkermitchell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! I'd do great all day then crave sugar in the evening. I heard that increasing protein in the earlier half of the day would help, so I started cooking a big healthy breakfast every day, and added a low calorie, plant based protein shake in the evening when cravings hit. It's worked perfectly! I'm finally losing weight.
  • kwbalance
    kwbalance Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same issue here! I've started eating a cheese stick and sometimes boiled egg for snack and switched out my breakfast 2-3 days a week with egg and toast instead of yogurt and berries. Also practicing meditation and changing out of my work clothes immediately when I get home to work on being more calm and mindful. Best of luck!
  • UltimateMedu
    UltimateMedu Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same here.. I actually had a bad binge a while ago and started saving calories for the evening. I know late night eating is bad, but it's something I can't help especially when family tea time comes around (and yes, it's a thing in my culture LOL). I always save some calories for a small snack with my tea. Nothing big of course, but it definitely helps rather than having nothing and over eating. Now this works for me, but everyone is different. Definitely try find your trigger like usmcmp mentioned. I wish you luck!
  • ladycclear
    ladycclear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To stop evening binges, I'm trying this:
    -I made a decision that I cannot eat solid food in my home after 8pm.
    -I also decided that I am not allowed to buy "junk food" from the grocery.

I'm using positive mantras and I will remember that these are just new lifestyle rules I will always follow, kinda like the life decision not to start heroin. :smiley:

Mantra: I control what goes in my mouth.

Friend requests welcome. We can all use support.
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe have dinner later the. That should see you through the evening x
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When my "evening cravings" start I make myself a cup of tea or decaf coffee and add sweetner and cream. If after that I still want something I then first have a glass of water or I chew gum. Else I just go to sleep! LOL
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Save those calories! I allow about 1/3minimum of my daily calories for after dinner. Thats about 500 on a rest day.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You're going to have to find your trigger. For some people it's not eating enough earlier in the day. Some people have their calories set too low (they picked 2 pounds per week, but should pick 1 pound per week). Some it's boredom and others it is habit.

Yep! It's very individual. For me, I decided I needed more calories in the evening. I skip breakfast and chose a "fasting" schedule of 16hrs, meaning I only eat between 12-8pm. This gives me more calories over less time, and also gives a reasonable time to close the kitchen so to speak. I'm usually eating dinner at 6:30 or 7, giving a short time for munchies if needed!

Eating in the evening was partially habit, partially due to not feeling satisfied on my smaller portions. Try a few things and see what seems to work and stick with it!