Those who didn't/don't like exercising, how long until it became a habit for you?

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I wanted exercise to be as enjoyable as possible, so I combined it with another activity I enjoy - TV. I set my treadmill up in the basement and a nice view of a big screen. Attached some headphones to block out the treadmill noise and walked during my favorite tv shows.

I know myself, and I knew you I'd find any crappy excuse to avoid the gym or going outside. Too hot, too cold, no clean clothes... you get the idea. And I knew I'd make excuses about time, or "forget" if it wasn't on a regular schedule. So I set a goal of walking every day, but I didn't have to do more than 20 minutes. Of course, most of the time I'd do more so I could catch the whole show.

As I walked more, I learned to love moving more. That turned into faster speeds, higher incline, Couch To 5K, running 10-15 miles a week outside, and even joining the local rec center to do Stronglifts 5x5. And yes, I still do most of my tv watching on the treadmill.

Start simple. Be consistent. Make it a habit you enjoy.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started out with simple walking which bored me to tears, unless I have something to look at (unfamiliar landscape, new trail, beautiful sights, hot shirtless guy... Etc) then I hate walking as exercise (plus its not the best anyway). I started C25K recently and I love running, hooked after a few days. I'm not good at it at all, but I love it and plan on working my way up. I also really enjoy strength. I hate stationary bikes and treadmills, but I can deal with elliptical's.

I enjoy doing high-intesity (but short timed) workouts. I love P90X for example, its go-go-go, upbeat, etc. But I gotta get stronger to be able to move up and enjoy it more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been sedentary most of my life. What made the difference this time is if I am not enjoying myself I try something else. It took about six weeks of steady exercise when I saw obvious results and I haven't looked back since. If I get bored I find something new to challenge me.

I'm not a big fan of toughing things out. If I'm not having fun I find something new to do.
  • peacock567
    peacock567 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally the key for me is to change up my workouts. I try different things all the time. But the first ever workout that i fell in love with was Zumba.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    eveywolf wrote: »
    Can you share your experiences? Thank you!

I thought I did not like exercise until I experimented with different forms of exercise. Do not try to to get used to doing some workout you hate, find some physical activity you like. Everybody has something that they like, or at least tolerate.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of staying in a routine for me. 2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life, running, feeling great, but still not loving my body. Life happened, I lost my routine and regained 70#.

In October I was really just ready for a change. Not like, "I should do this," but like "Im really ready to make a change." I met the owner of a new gym at a health fair and he was exactly what I needed when I need it. I met with one of his trainers and committed to try lifting for 3 months. Best.decision.ever.

It took about 2 months to fall in love with the feeling. It's not the high I got from running, but it's the badass feeling from realizing I could do what I couldn't do before. It's being just outside of my comfort zone and trying new things. Believe me, I'm a girly girl. The bro gym is the last place I pictured myself!
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As I have said many times, I hate regimented exercise, however as others have said I do like physical activity, so I try to burn my calories by upping the burn of daily routine. Strap on ankle weights and then just go about my daily chores. I am trying really hard to make this the last DIET of my life, so I have to do things I know I will stick with, and an exercise routine is not one of those things. see my post "calling all exercise haters" and go to this website https://http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/little-changes-add-big-weight-loss to get some ideas, then you can track the calories at www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi

Not that regimented exercise is BAD, it's just that there are a whole lot of people out there who just simply will not stick with it, and if you aren't going to stay with it, your weight will just come back. But if you make changes in your daily routine to burn more calories doing the same things you already do every day, you are more likely to keep those habits.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As many other people have said, try to find something fun. The only time I actually enjoyed "going to the gym" was when my gym was attached to a dance studio and attracted a bunch of professional/would-be professional dancers who worked out before or after the high-level classes. (Eye candy! I could use the exercise bike and watch pretty, pretty people!)
  • AnnElizabethKate
    AnnElizabethKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    it took about a month for my body to get used to a workout schedule. Now 4 years later I have to workout in the morning or i drive myself crazy haha
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've worked out on and off since college, and I'm now in my mid 40s. I have always done better at a gym if I'm working out with a partner whether it is a friend, or a trainer. I have been exercising at home with videos for the last four months and have been very consistent. For me, it has been about finding the right video and making myself put on my workout clothes and soon as I wake up in order to be ready to go as soon as I finish breakfast. I think also seeing the results that I am seeing now, has made me motivated to continue. I feel unsettled if I do not exercise these days, and make sure to do them later on if I'm not able to at my usual time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It snuck up on me

I now hate not getting gym time

Perhaps 3-4 months

• xxHelenMartinxx
    xxHelenMartinxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well after about a week/ten days I no longer dread going. But after a month I want to go. After about 3 months I disliked not going and end up doing light exercise on rest days :)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    About a month to 6 weeks.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Took a couple of months for it to become a habit, longer before I thought of it as something I could enjoy. As others have said, find something you like,and be honest about what support you need. I soon realised gym classes were good for me because if I didnt aim for a set time I would keep putting if off and not end up going. Now it's part of the weeks routine. Tomorrow morning I will be at gym at 8am. I will groan when the alarm goes off but I will get up (on the second ring!) and I will be there for running,and if its too wet to run I will be in the gym.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    From when I first took up swimming to get fit, it took me about a month to stop finding it really physically challenging (to the point I was almost too tired to walk home from the pool) and to get over my self consciousness and feel like I had just as much right to be swimming laps as everyone else.

7 years on I exercise 5 times a week and walk as much as possible, and it feels wrong to sit on my backside like I used to. I get so fidgety at work when I get stuck in front of the computer for more than an hour.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i started last year by taking short walks around my neighborhood. then id go to the gym once or twice a week with my neighbor. after about a month of this, i wanted to go for longer walks, and wanted to go o the gym more often than once or twice a week. so i got my own membership. within a month or so of that, i was at the gym 5-6 times a week.

now, i do the gym in the morning and a jog in the evenings with one of my dogs.

i go first thing in the morning (7 30). i put on my workout clothes when i get up so im already 'dressed' for it.

losing weight, having a 'cuter' body, and just feeling better overall have been the biggest motivating factors

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will ever be a habit for me.
    Exercise isn't something I love so I have to shove myself out the door 6 days a week.

Been doing this for 6+ years.

I have tried lots of things and the best I can say is I like doing some things more than I like others- but love -no.

I keep doing it because I love what to makes me able to do outside the gym, and I like what it had done for my body.
    I want these things to continue into old age so I will keep donating an hour a day to a fitter healthier body.

Cheers, h.
  • BethWilliams24
    BethWilliams24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've developed a habit as such - it's more the dogs have developed a habit of being walked twice a day and they irritate me into submission!

But I'm working on building working out up to being a habit! It's just slow progress! X
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I had to bite the bullet and join a gym to get myself to work out. that way, because I'm spending the money, I'm motivated to go so that the money doesn't go to waste. I don't just work out on my own either, I go to specific classes at my gym so that way it's just a regular part of my schedule and it helps me hold myself accountable for going. plus it's more fun (for me anyway) when there's socialization involved and other people grunting along with you and the person running the class egging you on. I find it all highly motivating plus I have to push myself to keep up with the class, so I know I'm working hard.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @ObsidianMist, I own a membership to our local rec centre and can use the gym and pool whenever I like, but as soon as I find my enthusiasm flagging I will sign up for a class for the very same reasons you do. I won't waste the money, and the social aspect makes it more fun. It is always nice when you walk into the next seasons session and get a warm greeting.

Cheers, h.