Hamstring and glutes.....exercise suggestions please!

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
I'm looking for both body weight exercises and free weight/machine weight exercises to add to my routine.

Focusing on hamstrings and glutes, not quads, as much as possible. I'm quad dominant (im a runner) & i would like to even it out.

I currrently do the following for legs:

Barbell back squats
Deadlifts
Goodmornings
Calf raises

What else would be good to throw in?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    for glutes, try dumbbell or barbell lunges. for hamstrings try Romanian deadlifts
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Barbell glute bridges, cable pull throughs, kettlebell swings, back extensions, hip abductions.. you can also add barbell hip thrusts although there is some quad activation, but I find them way more glute dominant and worth it
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Split squats, good mornings.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian split squat, sumo deadlift, sumo squat, one leg RDL's, hip thrusters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    get on a structured lifting program and don't just design your own ….
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I tend to agree with this.
    mkakids wrote: »
    I'm quad dominant (im a runner) & i would like to even it out.

The quads are normally stronger than the hamstrings. Why do you think your hams & glutes need extra attention?
  • mkakids
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I tend to agree with this.
    I'm quad dominant (im a runner) & i would like to even it out.

The quads are normally stronger than the hamstrings. Why do you think your hams & glutes need extra attention?

Because of a series of running injuries over the last year due to quad dominance (per the physical therapist who reccomended i work on strengthening and stretching my hamstrings and glutes). Mostly in my hip flexors and IT band.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there is a thing called a Glute Ham Raise, some gyms have a machine for this, its not really a machine more of a thing you lay on. Its great for hams and glutes, i use it all the time. also straight leg deadlifts and i squeeze my hams as hard as i can while i do them.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    there is a thing called a Glute Ham Raise, some gyms have a machine for this, its not really a machine more of a thing you lay on. Its great for hams and glutes, i use it all the time. also straight leg deadlifts and i squeeze my hams as hard as i can while i do them.

These 2 are my staple hamstring exercises...I just hate machine leg curls (my gym has oddly designed machines that don't allow a good contraction). For SLDLs, using a deficit (standing on a board) is helpful if you have long limbs and are tall.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    step ups, all lunge variations, glute bridges, box squats
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Because of a series of running injuries over the last year due to quad dominance (per the physical therapist who reccomended i work on strengthening and stretching my hamstrings and glutes). Mostly in my hip flexors and IT band.

Your PT is the proper person to prescribe a routine for you, both for your hams/glutes and your quads.
    If they let you choose your own exercises, i wouldn't make it overly complicated. Deadlifts and squats should comprise most of the sets, with a couple sets of lunges, etc. to supplement. Doing too many hamstring sets could lead to overtraining injuries, so it's best to ask your PT how much to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    RDLs
  • mkakids
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Your PT is the proper person to prescribe a routine for you, both for your hams/glutes and your quads.
    If they let you choose your own exercises, i wouldn't make it overly complicated. Deadlifts and squats should comprise most of the sets, with a couple sets of lunges, etc. to supplement. Doing too many hamstring sets could lead to overtraining injuries, so it's best to ask your PT how much to do.

I have spoken to the PT. My current routine (as listed above) is squats, good mornings and deadlifts. These have been my staples for 2+ years, prior to any injuries....so i need to add additional work.

My PT instructed me to find an exercise i enjoyed doing and add a 3×8 on leg day, then 2 weeks later, add an additional exercise. I am just looking for suggestions.
  • mkakids
    Options

I follow SL 5x5 currently.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Other additions to the exercises already posted could include leg curls on the ball or use gliders or towels. You could also do a single leg version or attach resistance band around your ankles for a further challenge. natural Glute ham raise have a partner hold your feet or prop them up to stop slipping against some heavy Dumbbells.
    Check out Brett Contras book strong curves & his website he's got lots of great info & specializes on Glute training using bodyweight & free weight exercises.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As others have said Romanian or stiff leg deadlift, cable pull throughs, hip thrusts. I also like the hamstring curl machine and cable kickbacks.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ltworide wrote: »
    Other additions to the exercises already posted could include leg curls on the ball or use gliders or towels. You could also do a single leg version or attach resistance band around your ankles for a further challenge. natural Glute ham raise have a partner hold your feet or prop them up to stop slipping against some heavy Dumbbells.
    Check out Brett Contras book strong curves & his website he's got lots of great info & specializes on Glute training using bodyweight & free weight exercises.

Here is a nice article on the posterior chain with videos showing many of the movements mentioned in the post in this thread
    http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/how-to-rdl/

Nice Mark Riptoe video on the RDL.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XowKMitOVNc
  • mkakids
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Curtsy lunges w/ barbell
    Cable kickbacks
    Sumo deads

I also recommend Bret contreras. He has a wealth of knowledge in exercise science and his concentration is in glute work. Many interesting reads on his web site.