Calorie Question

Options
Do they recommend that you eat all of your calories in one day? If you need 1,200 calories and you are at 1,050 in the evening, do you have to eat the rest that night?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You can save them for tomorrow and eat the extra then. I eat light all week long so I can have fun on the weekend.
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "need?" If you feel satisfied under the calorie allotment, take the win!
  • werginl
    werginl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    intersting question. agree with phyllis
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If I'm seriously under, like by 750+ calories, I might try to find something reasonable to fill in a bit, mostly so I don't feel bad the next day. Otherwise, yeah, just take it as free calories you didn't have to eat to feel happy or satisfied. :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You can save them for tomorrow and eat the extra then. I eat light all week long so I can have fun on the weekend.

This is what I do also.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told be to eat close to my calories if I can but an intermittent low calorie day here and there is not a bad thing :] Same with a rare high day.
  • avonlady51
    avonlady51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't know that you could save them. I'm just used to Weight Watcher's and they encourage you to eat all of your points. This is better.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The thing is that at 1200 calories, it can be very challenging to meet your nutritional needs. It isn't all about feeling full. If my ability to know when I'm full and should stop eating worked, I wouldn't need to be counting calories. I am not convinced that I can trust my hunger cues in the reverse either. So I focus on getting a nutritionally balanced diet and fitting in a few snacks for fun.

As for saving some for the next day, absolutely nothing wrong with that, your body does not reset itself at midnight.
  • ta2080
    ta2080 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters, I just have what satisfies me, sometimes my calories are under, sometimes they are over. For example last night I made a gorgeous vegetable gratin for dinner and I planned to have it with a big salad and Ryvitas followed by fruit for dessert, but it was so filling that I just had my portion of gratin and the Ryvitas. It was such a low calorie meal that I had to cheat and 'fix' my calorie count to complete my day on my food diary because it was too low, however, the one thing I won't be doing is having extra calories to make up for it today, I just reset to zero and start a new day with my normal calorie allowance. This is also why I never worry if I occasionally go over, I eat a very varied diet and cook from scratch, so there will always be some dishes that have a few more calories than others, I generally try to stay close to my allowance, but as my allowance is quite low for my vital statistics I am very careful not to have too many days where I am significantly under, and if I notice that happening I just make some simple but healthy adjustments.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to eat your calories, it isn't always a bad thing, but you should be getting as close as you can. Try replacing things with more calorie dense food. Or at the end of the day, have 2 TBSP of peanut butter. That's 180-200 calories. Calories met!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have to say I never worry about "meeting" my calories. If I'm neither hungry nor weak, that's just a day I didn't eat very much. No need to catch up, and no need to make a program happy. If you were chronically undereating you'd figure it out pretty quick. Realistically, how often is this likely to happen to most of us, though?