Not new here, but I don't count calories anymore

Options
sdfkjsadglkj11
sdfkjsadglkj11 Posts: 211 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
DISCLAIMER (Posted this for people with similar lifestyles to talk to. I don't attack people for the way they eat, so please don't attack me for mine) Hi, I'm Paige. I am not new, but I just knew that obsessing over everything I ate wasn't healthy. When I first joined this site, I was so fixated on counting my calories and working out just to burn them and eat more. I felt guilty if I went over my calorie limit, and great if I ate less. Even if I went to bed hungry. My whole mind was consumed with food, food, how many calories are in this, food. I now realize....that's no way to live.

We humans were intended to eat until total satisfaction. I've now found a lifestyle where I can eat as much as I want and lose weight steadily. I've been detoxifying my body for over a year ever since eating a plant-based diet. AKA Veganism. I'm not a complete vegan, but over time I've transitioned to Pescetarianism. Meaning I don't eat any meat save for fish, and no dairy at all. Just eggs. :) I eventually may cut those out as well, but for now I only eat those on a rare occasion.

Back to the point. It feels so amazing being able to EAT. To be able to eat a whole pizza, a whole plate of pasta...and just to not care. In addition, losing over twenty pounds while only exercising for half an hour three times a week. I'm a changed person, inside and out. It's amazing how if we give our bodies whole foods, how it functions so much better. My hair is growing in faster and thicker, my eyelashes and nails are so much stronger and longer, and less brittle. My skin is clear and glowing, and most importantly, I don't feel bloated after eating.

I guess I just came here to say how happy I am, and how good it feels to have found something that works for me. I hope to meet some like-minded people on here. <3

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Vegan Pizza .... puke. I'll take my milk, cheese, eggs, and meat. Thanks.
  • Whowatchesthewatcher
    Options
    you can eat a napkin and keep trolling on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What toxins are you removing..name just one, and the process by which it is removed from your body

I know a fair few overweight vegans, it's not a weight loss strategy

Vegetables are indeed great ..how are you ensuring your protein targets are met? I hope you are extremely careful with your macro and micros and take necessary supplements as required as it takes a whole heap of effort to eat healthily with any form of restriction

I think it's great you have found a way of eating you enjoy, you are right that those with disordered thinking towards calorie counting and obsessional tendencies may find it an overall negative influence on their lives and it's best to avoid. Personally I continue to log my calories almost a year into maintenance having lost over 50lbs

But I wouldn't want to give up my leather jacket and shoes, what with vegan being an ethical stance against animal products or by-products
  • sdfkjsadglkj11
    Options
    I don't understand this rudeness....I'm here to talk to people who have a similar lifestyle.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Sounds more vegetarian than vegan that diet your are quoting, at least at this stage.
    Anyway I am happy for you that you have found a way of eating that works for you but I do object to your statements: "No way to live" "We humans were intended to eat until satisfaction" .
    Maybe you should have used I think or I believe before you stated such bold statements and come here just to gloat and slag us all off for doing it wrong, as that your post comes across to me; my way or the high way.
    Other than that I wish you all the happiness and luck on the world with your new found lifestyle. If it works for you then it works for you and that is great.

I'll give it a pass though and stick to what works for me; Everything in moderation and counting calories.
  • sdfkjsadglkj11
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sounds more vegetarian than vegan that diet your are quoting, at least at this stage.
    Anyway I am happy for you that you have found a way of eating that works for you but I do object to your statements: "No way to live" "We humans were intended to eat until satisfaction" .
    Maybe you should have used I think or I believe before you stated such bold statements and come here just to gloat and slag us all off for doing it wrong, as that your post comes across to me; my way or the high way.
    Other than that I wish you all the happiness and luck on the world with your new found lifestyle. If it works for you then it works for you and that is great.

I'll give it a pass though and stick to what works for me; Everything in moderation and counting calories.

Not vegetarian, since they consume dairy. Pescetarian. XD

I'm just talking about how this has impacted me. Otherwise I would have said something like, "YOU GUYS NEED TO DO THIS." lol Both of those statements I made are true. It was no way to live, and I wasn't happy. I wasn't happy being hungry, and I wanted to be full. Thanks. :)
  • cmannine
    cmannine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think there is a vegan message board on here somewhere that you can join. Just ignore the rude ones be above them. Good luck.
  • sdfkjsadglkj11
    Options
    cmannine wrote: »
    I think there is a vegan message board on here somewhere that you can join. Just ignore the rude ones be above them. Good luck.

Thank you, will be sure to find it. I didn't expect people to be so judgmental, I just wanted a pat on the back and some support. lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

TIL sticking to facts is rude...
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Thank you, will be sure to find it. I didn't expect people to be so judgmental, I just wanted a pat on the back and some support. lol

First of all I too am happy you have found what works for you, and long may that continue....

The way I see this post, and how its gone is the fact you have come to a Calorie Counting site to tell us that you don't count calories, so why come here to tell us?? surely you don't use this site anymore as the main purpose is to calorie count......even though it may not of been your intention your post does seem to preach a little, and as others said, tell us were doing it wrong....sorry to say, but that's how I see it too.

Again well done, have a pat on the back from me, and good luck keeping on track with your new found ways. Personally I could never NEVER give up bacon......lol.....so plant only is not for me....

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You posted in Introduce Yourself, even though you are not new, so that you would be seen by new members. You then wrote about how counting calories was "no way to live" and described how you are eating without counting calories. It's no surprise that people who do count calories on a site centered around counting calories rebutted your statements.

It's good that you found a way to eat that works for you. However, no way is the ONE TRUE WAY and calorie counting works for many people.
  • agucitis
    agucitis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I read your post and You really sound happy :) im happy for You! Ignore the rude ones, probobly they are unhappy and jeleous that You are beautiful and happy! Good luck :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't understand this rudeness....I'm here to talk to people who have a similar lifestyle.

OK let me break it down for you - not that I consider my response was rude, just factual
    DISCLAIMER (Posted this for people with similar lifestyles to talk to. I don't attack people for the way they eat, so please don't attack me for mine)

new bit, newly added .. nice change of username too

Hi, I'm Paige. I am not new, but I just knew that obsessing over everything I ate wasn't healthy.

OK you're not new, so you know how the boards work and that it's a place for discussion

When I first joined this site, I was so fixated on counting my calories and working out just to burn them and eat more. I felt guilty if I went over my calorie limit, and great if I ate less. Even if I went to bed hungry. My whole mind was consumed with food, food, how many calories are in this, food. I now realize....that's no way to live.

You're right, for you this developed into a disordered pattern .. which must have sucked and is no way to eat.
    We humans were intended to eat until total satisfaction.

Not really true ... but please substantiate if you believe it is.

I've now found a lifestyle where I can eat as much as I want and lose weight steadily.
    implies eating fewer calories than you burn

I've been detoxifying my body for over a year
    No you haven't .. you've been detoxifying your body for your entire life through your physiology which is designed to detoxify your body, you know liver, kidneys etc .. if you weren't you'd be in hospital

ever since eating a plant-based diet. AKA Veganism.

Vegan has a definition

I'm not a complete vegan, but over time I've transitioned to Pescetarianism. Meaning I don't eat any meat save for fish, and no dairy at all. Just eggs. :) I eventually may cut those out as well, but for now I only eat those on a rare occasion.

you're not even a vegetarian - why mention vegan

Back to the point. It feels so amazing being able to EAT. To be able to eat a whole pizza, a whole plate of pasta...and just to not care. In addition, losing over twenty pounds while only exercising for half an hour three times a week. I'm a changed person, inside and out. It's amazing how if we give our bodies whole foods, how it functions so much better. My hair is growing in faster and thicker, my eyelashes and nails are so much stronger and longer, and less brittle. My skin is clear and glowing, and most importantly, I don't feel bloated after eating.
    you are implying to people new to the boards that eating whatever you want will lead to weight loss so long as they follow your plan .. pizza is great (cheese is something else you eat) and a whole plate of pasta is great too .. they can both be anywhere from 200 to 2000 calories, how is this helpful

Happy for you that you are eating a more varied and nutritious diet .. clearly impacting well on your body and psyche - that's great

I guess I just came here to say how happy I am, and how good it feels to have found something that works for me. I hope to meet some like-minded people on here. <3
    Of course you will .. there's a load of pescatarians and vegetarians ..

Maybe a different intro would have worked for your newly stated aims

"Hi I'm a Pescatarian, anybody else?"

as opposed to implying a whole host of benefits from a very vaguely defined dietary approach, just a thought

I'm only taking exception because your 'rude' comment happened to be directly under my comment where I actually said "I think it's great you have found a way of eating you enjoy, you are right that those with disordered thinking towards calorie counting and obsessional tendencies may find it an overall negative influence on their lives and it's best to avoid. " which I don't think negates your experience in the slightest
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Both of those statements I made are true. It was no way to live, and I wasn't happy. I wasn't happy being hungry, and I wanted to be full. Thanks. :)
    No they are not, they are true for you, but most certainly not for me. And that was the essence of my post. You state bold blanket statements as absolute truths that are just your opinions and personal truths without that added
    Other that that I completely concur with @rabbitjb and her observations on your post.

I see you now added a disclaimer, but really people just responded the way they did because they felt attacked by your blanket statements in their way of living - couting calories. People tend to do that when they feel attacked.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose to go vegan?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose to go vegan?

That's how she's detoxing her body. From what, I don't know.
    I've been detoxifying my body for over a year ever since eating a plant-based diet. AKA Veganism.

• bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

That's how she's detoxing her body. From what, I don't know.

I sincerely hope that's not the only reason because that makes no sense at all.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can identify with the OP and I have only been on here since Tuesday evening after discovering the app. I am a small eater who normally eats quite healthily and I know a fair bit about nutrition. However, in the last 3 days I have become obsessed with getting everything down, have gone starving hungry, and despite my child-like portions have 'gone over' every day. Admittedly I can't exercise properly due to disability, but I feel that this may not be the way for me to go. When I didn't obsess about getting everything down I did not feel like this. Apart from the odd takeaway when not up to making anything I reckon my diet is pretty good with lots of veg, fruit and pulses. As I have put in my other post in the welcome section: I will give it up to 2 weeks and if I still feel like this then it is not worth it. What works for some doesn't always work for others. My main reason for using the app is to keep an eye on my nutrition and not so much for losing weight.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    In the end, if people find what works for them with the least effort it's a win. If a change of eating habits and following your hunger cues makes it that simple, it's hard to argue with.

• cozette111
    cozette111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone being so rude?? There is not only ONE lifestyle that works for people! Everybody is different which also means everyone has different diets that work for them. Come on you guys, don't tell me her post really offended you. You are all adults and you should respect her lifestyle! This is HER personal experience and this is what SHE has learned through her experiences. She's not forcing any of you to become vegans/vegetarians!!! I can understand though, I posted a thread on fasting and everyone was rude and reported it. We should be supporting each other not knocking each other down. Come on, we are all on here for the same reason. I think health all comes down to our happiness and includes our positive healthy relationship with food (:
    I'm happy for you 'ohscrewthename'!!! Hopefully one day I find the perfect lifestyle diet for me! (: