Advice from people who've lost 50+ lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice is small change do not cut anything entirely you will crave and binge. So this I focused on food first and I must say pre-logging helps. Allow yourself a little of what you fancy so if you like a burger order the smallest one and nothing else. Eventually you wont want it. Find healthier ways of making your junk foods you like.

For me what helped was 1) food and meal planning.
    2) having healthy snacks ready to eat
    3) making food like burgers
    4) focus on calories once you nail this then look at what makes up your calories
    5) find exercise you like and will keep doing.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing most anyone who has lost a large amount has the "secret recipe" for weight loss. And they do, because it worked for them.

I was dragged into this a year ago -- exactly today -- and it was a great program to get me going. Focus on one thing a week for a few weeks, then turn it loose. I'm down 90 pounds in a year. It's not magic, it's thought, planning, and a little work ahead an hour or so a week for meal prep.

Being accountable to real people -- folks that you have to look in the eye every week -- can help jump start the process. This worked very well for me. It's not for everyone, but it can be quite effective. I hear Weight Watchers takes this approach and there are probably other similar programs. You get some of that with MFP but it's not the same as meeting face-to-face.

The thing that got me going was the Prediabetes Prevention Program developed by the CDC and taught by the YMCA. Paid for by my employer, but I'm sure there are other avenues if that's not an option. Initially I did NOT want to participate, but the combination of feedback from the group leader, accountability to others in the peer group, and a tiny competitive streak -- that's what got me started.

My opinion: you have to learn to be a little selfish. Selfish about your food choices and selfish about time you take to get some activity in on a regular basis. That's the way it feels, even though really, it's not selfish at all. It just feels that way at first if you and your friends & family aren't used to making a lifestyle change.

I'm wrapping up my year in this program in a couple of weeks, and while I'll miss the meetings, I also know that is has changed the way I live and eat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone saying to focus on one thing and don't take on too much. Developing just a single habit and breaking just a single habit is really difficult, typically demanding a lot of focus and conscious effort for most people to successfully do it. Trying to develop or break many habits is ambitious but also in my view is a fools errand.

I would recommend focusing on your calorie goal and adjusting your deficit to something less aggressive if need be.
    Losing your extra weight is probably the best healthy thing you can do.

I've lost about 130lbs, I began with calorie counting, then macros and overall nutrition became interesting areas of focus soon afterwards, but my calorie target trumps all else in order of priority. And eating foods I like to eat (much of which is nutritious, but not all is ideal) helps me with adhering to my calorie goal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i lost 70 some pounds last year, eating the same as i always have(including eating out LOT), just less of it and a lot more exercise.

you have to find what works for you.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on hitting calorie goal first. Once you're reliably doing that, focus on nailing macros. Weight loss is all about calories.

After you've got calorie goal and macros down, look at micros.