Running trainers.

Options
So I have been looking at getting a new pair of running trainers as mine are getting to the end of there life, I'm looking at a set of nikes that are about 250 gram as apposed to my 600 gram new balance ones. Will this much make a difference say over a mile or two in regards to time? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Will the weight of the shoe impact your times... is that what you're asking? That's probably the last thing you should be concerned about.

But assuming that is your question, the answer is yes. But not in any meaningful, significant, or measurable way.
  • kerby2411
    kerby2411 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right okay thankyou:) As a genuine question, what should I be more concerned about? Thanks for your help:)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    First priority should be that you can afford them (this is not the same as them being cheap(er)). Second priority is fit and feel. That's pretty much the end of the discussion. I guess a tie breaker could be looks.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would go for good quality and fit rather than weight. You also need to factor in the surface you run on. I am a street runner so some cushion is important for me. You run barefoot too for zero weight but that is not a good option for most of us. I always replace shoes at about 450 miles or my knees will remind me to do it.
  • kerby2411
    Options
    Oh right okay, I do a fair bit of street running so that's what is important, which trainer would recommend?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    kerby2411 wrote: »
    Oh right okay, I do a fair bit of street running so that's what is important, which trainer would recommend?

Shoes are highly individual. That previous poster mentioned liking cushion. I do not. Don't go by recommendations, go by what fits well. That's all you need to know. You can't really research this, you have to try them on.
  • kerby2411
    Options
    Oh and money isn't overly an issue as I'm running quite regularly being in the army. However, I don't want to break the bank! Haha
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kerby2411 wrote: »

Good to a shop that sells running shoes and have a gait analysis done, they can help you with which shoes are best
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If you're running a lot, spend the money (whatever that is, could be $75, could be $175) and get ones that fit you well.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its funny, I just looked down, and I am not even wearing them. I can remember but after two pair I am thinking of switching just to see what is out there. I still lose a toenail once in a while.
  • kerby2411
    Options
    Okay thanks for your help guys:) appreciated!
  • greyzie123x
    greyzie123x Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you go to a good sports shop they should have a machine (as above⬆)where you would run on it barefoot and it works out which trainers would be best for you (tells you if you have a high instep etc) I did a half marathon years ago, wearing Nikes and I lost my toe nails. I wear Asics all the time now. They range from £40-£120, (sorry, unsure what that is in Dollars) so there's a pair that fits most budgets.