Is jogging everyday bad?

Options
Since a week ago I've been jogging every day for 30 min straight.
And I've been reading that too much cardio is bad and won't make me lose weight fast
Is that true?

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    In the end, weight loss is Calories in < Calories out. Running will help with the Calories out part. Some studies have shown that too much cardio can have an effect on your metabolism, but 30 minutes a day isn't classified as 'too much'.

What I'd be more worried about is that you've taken up running, and you're doing it every day. Remember to have rest days to help your body recover and repair from new stresses your body has from performing an impact exercise, or you'll increase your chances of injury.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ceocaveman wrote: »
    And I've been reading that too much cardio is bad and won't make me lose weight fast
    Is that true?

You have been reading nonsense :)
    For health, you need ideally both cardio and resistance training, they serve different purposes. So, you might have heard that cardio should not be the only exercise, not that you should replace cardio with sitting on the couch :)
    As for how much is too much, if you end up trying to run half a marathon everyday, it is too much, but 30 minutes of exercise per day is a close the absolute minimum you should be doing, again for health, not weight loss.
    If you are new to this, do not run everyday, alternate running days with something else, because your body needs to get used to the new exercise routine.
  • pclayto
    pclayto Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The only concern I would have concerns about is all that impact on you knees. Try walking as well as cycling.
  • greyzie123x
    greyzie123x Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You may get shin splints, but after a short break you would recover from these
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    pclayto wrote: »
    The only concern I would have concerns about is all that impact on you knees.

On what basis?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ceocaveman wrote: »
    Is that true?

There are two different aspects here.

First, what you've read is nonsense, but as above the main aspect of losing weight is being in calorie deficit. training of any kind can help to build that deficit.

Second, as to running every day. If you've started from nothing, then there is an increased risk of overdoing it and potentially injuring yourself. Whilst there is nothing wrong with running every day, it is something to build up to rather than go straight into.

Most couch to runner training plans are running on alternate days, with off days spent doing something else. I used to swim or cycle on non-running days. That allows the physiological adaptations that you need to benefit from running longer term.

Once you've got a basis, then running every day is fine.

At the moment I'm in a marathon training cycle and only run 4-5 days per week.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you feel good while jogging then it's not bad for you. As far as burning fat goes, it might slow down with time, because your body will get used to the exercise. But as long as you keep changing difficulty, or maybe doing HIIT you will continue burning fat.
    Also to burn fat and lose weight you need balanced diet, cardio and weight workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    As far as burning fat goes, it might slow down with time, because your body will get used to the exercise.

Huh???
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's not so much about too much cardio but the possibility of overuse injury if your body isn't used to it.
    also, check your shoes. make sure they are giving you the right support.
  • AnnElizabethKate
    AnnElizabethKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i usually run 5 miles every other day, but do interval training on my non-running days but at the end of my workout usually do like a 1 mi light jog just to cool down.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only concern I would have concerns about is all that impact on you knees. Try walking as well as cycling.

Yes to variety but no, running is not bad for your knees. Numerous studies have shown that runners suffer no more arthritis than the general population and "runners knee" frequently has nothing to do with your knees whatsoever.
    Some studies have shown that too much cardio can have an effect on your metabolism.......

What I'd be more worried about is that you've taken up running, and you're doing it every day. Remember to have rest days to help your body recover and repair from new stresses your body has from performing an impact exercise, or you'll increase your chances of injury.

Could you cite said studies? but agree 100% on recovery days.

OP 30 minutes daily of any exercise (save some HIIT routines which one could simply not do for 30 minutes) could neer be construed as "too much" but I'd echo mangrothian's comments about recovery days.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Not as long as you don't try to push too hard everyday
  • heldavi
    heldavi Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yes to variety but no, running is not bad for your knees. Numerous studies have shown that runners suffer no more arthritis than the general population and "runners knee" frequently has nothing to do with your knees whatsoever.

With running you need the correct form to avoid injury - I wouldn't recommend obese people to run due to the sheer mass repeatedly going on to each joint, a soft jog would be more beneficial, those new to it need to learn the form if it doesn't come naturally! (Look it up on Youtube)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Some studies have shown that too much cardio can have an effect on your metabolism.......

Could you cite said studies? but agree 100% on recovery days.

OP 30 minutes daily of any exercise (save some HIIT routines which one could simply not do for 30 minutes) could neer be construed as "too much" but I'd echo mangrothian's comments about recovery days.

You know what? I retract my statement on "studies have shown". I know I've read some journal articles on this, because I wanted to find out for myself, and there were some on the adaptation of the body to more efficient glycogen use during aerobic endurance training causing a change in BMR, but I can't find the ones I was looking for.

In the end, the amount of exercise the OP is talking about doesn't come under that category anyway.