Do you spend more or less now that you eat healthy?

Options
AshinAms
AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
I am really careful of what we spend on food at home and notice that although I buy more fruit and vegetables we actually seem to spend a little less. It's still true however that junk food is cheaper than healthy stuff - although the long term cost is much higher.

We spend less when we eat out because we order mains only and drink water instead of fizz.

What happened to your grocery budget when you started eating better?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Definitely more. But a majority is from protein :-)
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    More :( And sadly enough I am used to 2 and 3.00 for a buggy (Coupon Queen)

Just haven't had time to seek out healthy options and match to the sales. Too Busy trying to stay on track. Perhaps soon.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    More - and yes, protein is the culprit for me too!
  • AshinAms
    Options
    Over here in the Netherlands my grocery budget for four people runs to around 400 euros a month and we eat very clean most of the time - no preprepared foods etc. Mostly fresh vegetables/fruits. I can't imagine a buggy for that little!
    More :( And sadly enough I am used to 2 and 3.00 for a buggy (Coupon Queen)

Just haven't had time to seek out healthy options and match to the sales. Too Busy trying to stay on track. Perhaps soon.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Unfortunately you can buy processed meals for your family fairly cheap, so eating healthy definately costs more but it's worth it :)
  • itsfrananne
    Options
    Less! But I think that's because I eat lots of cans of tuna :P
  • AshinAms
    Options
    I do that! I eat cans of tuna while they eat a meal! Problem in my house is that I have lots of sportspeople. Boyfriend is a football (soccer) coach and my little boys do a lot of sports. Oldest is 11 and can eat more than the rest of us put together! They need a lot of carbs and I really do not need ANY! When they have pasta I have tuna :0
    Less! But I think that's because I eat lots of cans of tuna :P
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    more!, junk is much cheaper. but i am healthy now, so i dont mind :heart:
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Less for sure. I am also a vegetarian so maybe that is it no meats/fish etc.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    About the same. But buying less junk and more veggies. Sometimes if fresh is too much I will get frozen. I try to avoid canned veggies but only because I think they are too mushy.

I make a weekly dinner menu so I know a head of time what I need to buy and what can wait a week or two. We have a local butcher that I want to go to for our meats instead of the grocery store though, the cuts of meat can be trimmed so they are much leaner. When I have had the grocery store meat counter trim the fat, they end up trimming all the fat, I like a little left on for the flavor of the meat.
  • IamLyssa
    IamLyssa Posts: 21
    Options
    I spend a lot less on food. I used to buy snacks and all the junk food that is out there and I found myself spending a lot of money and the junk food goes pretty fast, because of all the snacking. Now that I eat healthy I spend a lot less, even with the organic foods I buy, but that’s just me, but then again I mean when you take away all the bad foods and replace them with fruit and vegetables, salads, mushrooms and buy organic eggs and milk and so on…. I don’t think anyone should look at it as spending more, even if that is the case because you are getting healthy, less $$$ on going to the doctors, less likely for high blood pressure, diabetes, etcc and what about feeling comfortable and good about yourself..Anyways that’s my opinion 
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    More, but I since I quit smoking I figure the amount of money I'm saving on cigarettes can easily be put towards the cost of eating healthy. It's really more than a fair trade.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    we spend more

as a family of 5 I am not running a restaurant so we all eat healthy and I buy a few snacky typt things for the kids so they don't rebel on me.

We do see to take part in lots of sales at many different grocery store but we shop more often too since we try to use the fresh stuff we buy within 3-4 days and not let it sit around and go bad inthe fridge drawers
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    More, no doubt about it. I'm also trying to keep organic as much as possible, so that really hurts. I know it's worth it, esp. in the long run (and for the health and wellbeing of my little boys), but boy oh boy, it was cheaper just to buy a no name box of mac and cheese....
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm spending less. Bringing my lunch to work, rather than buying it the two to three times a week that I was is definitely saving me money. I am buying a fair bit more meat, but vegies are pretty cheap here at the moment so it's working out well for me. Not stopping at Maccas is helping too - I could easily lose $30 a week there what with popping past for brekky or for something on the way home a couple of times. And soft drink - I was spending some serious cash keeping myself stocked with Coke. Now it's just a 24-pack of Pepsi Max once a month (not even enough for one a day!!) and they're often on special for $10. Of course, it's much easier that I only have to worry about feeding me - no family as yet to worry about!
  • sweet_t2483
    sweet_t2483 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I spend more at the grocery store, but less overall because we've cut out fast food and restaurants. You can only stockpile so many fruits and veggies when they go on sale--so I go every week now.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    My monthly grocery bill has increased 24% since I started eating healthy. Some of that increase is offset by a small decrease in dining out. It's a shame that it costs so much more to eat healthy foods.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I spend more as vegetables are so expensive and when you are trying to change the whole family's eating you really have to shop around as everying else is going up but not the wages.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I realized we spend less, or the same for more. I was cleaning out the fridge this morning and realized that cheese and butter last a heck of a lot longer. I used butter for cooking, and in general ( hate margerine - would rather eat food from ingredients I know). DH would use tons of butter on a bagel.. and would eat several a day. It was nothing for us to go thru a pound of butter in 1-2 weeks. The box I have in there currently?... can't remember when I bought it over the last couple of months.

I no longer cook a ton of meat as its packaged for a meal or two. My portions now last me 3-4 meals. Heavy snacks? those are rare. An ounce of cheese is satisfying instead of half a block.

Veggies and fruits are expensive, however they are naturally satisfying after a small portion. Ever try to eat a ton of bananas? or apples? after 1 or 2 you aren't hungry and most likely not wanting to eat anymore of anything.. now try that with cookies or chips, lol

I don't skimp on eating, I make sure I'm not hungry... but the quality of what I eat is so much more nutrient rich that my body recognizes that it doesn't need to keep eating. I figure if I can get DH to stop eating his junk food.. and get DS to stop folloing DH's habits...then our food bill will be comfortable. I can't wait for my veggies to start growing so we can cut costs there over the summer.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Less, for sure.