EXTRA SKIN

Options
My question is, after you've lost a bunch of weight, how do you deal with the extra skin left over?

Replies

• kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Some people on this forum have been mentioning it could take up to 2 years to see any change; however, some people also say the only way to change the extra skin left is through surgery to get rid of it. I would say try to tone up as much as you can with weight training, resistance training, and speak with a professional to see what could be the best option for you.
  • Prinleo
    Prinleo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the quicker you lose the weight the more excess skin you are likely to have, and of course it depends on how much you have to loose in the first place. Slow and steady wins the race and yes strength and weight training is key I like body pump
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    People who truly have excess/permanently stretched skin either live with it or have it removed. Once you've gotten a few years past losing the weight, you'll see how much this is or isn't a problem. This is because it can take a few years for your skin to truly shrink back to it's "this is it" point.

I do not believe that rapid weight loss leaves you with more stretched out skin in the end. I think that it appears that way when your weight loss outpaces your skin's shrinkage rate but I've never seen studies showing that rate of loss has an effect on the final product a few years post-weightloss.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Over 200 lbs? I would start a savings account for skin removal.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    After watching the show "Skin Tight" on TLC (never watching again), I think I'll be investing in Spanx when I'm done losing.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    After watching the show "Skin Tight" on TLC (never watching again), I think I'll be investing in Spanx when I'm done losing.

I saw that last night! I'm with you... never watching again. I'm traumatized.

That said, I had some of my extra skin removed. My tummy is really squishy, but not terrible. I have quite the lotion routine in hopes that it snaps back a little, but it's just part of the process.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I lost over 200 pounds and had very little sagging. I was obese the majority of my adult life. I did it with diet change and exercise so that may be the reason.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    LOL I wear high waisted pants and ignore it. :)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I lost 102lbs or so. I have been obese all my life, I have loose skin on my behind stomach and pecs. Nothing I can really do with it. I try to tuck into the waist of pants whenever possible and try to wear shirts that hide the pecs. I hope it shrinks back up some, and I'm working on becoming more athletic/fit so building some muscle should help as well...As a male the only time I'm really forced to reveal it is at the swimming pool, and yeah it is a bit disappointing that after working hard and loosing 100lbs Im still not comfortable about my looks at the pool.