Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Arthritis Sufferers

Hi! My name is Deanna and I'm 29. I have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis (and now osteo-arthritis) for years and years. My knees are what give me the majority of my problems. I've been working out at the gym for a little over 2 months now. I've down 17 lbs. And I couldn't be happier.....well, maybe I could.

My curent workout routine includes the total body weight circuit at least twice a week and cardio at least 5 times a week. With my cardio training, I do 20 minutes on the bike at an intense resistance. Then I try and get at least 10 minutes of the elliptical in. I really would love to do more, but I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone out there suffer from arthritis and have success with other means of exercise?

I should mention that I tried an aquafit class at my gym, but I didn't like it too much. Our pool is very small and there were several people in the class and it made it very crowded. :-/

Replies

• alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    I only have arthritis in one foot though my knees are a bit dodgy. I found treadmill at a high incline and a low speed (Incline of 13/ Speed 4.5-5 really got my heart rate up but wasn't too painful. I do 20 mins of that.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    I've had problems with the shoulders and hips since my 20s. Cutting sugar and gluten out of my diet has helped -- for exercise, I do "hot" yoga (Bikram Yoga). It's somewhat intense and doesn't put stress on the joints.
  • Really? Is there some scientific research supporting the cutting of sugar and gluten to benefit arthritis? I'm intrigued.....
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Really? Is there some scientific research supporting the cutting of sugar and gluten to benefit arthritis? I'm intrigued.....

http://www.livingwithrheumatoidarthritis.com/Inflammatory-foods.html
  • cristi1956
    cristi1956 Posts: 9 Member
    I have had RA for about 5 years. I have always been healthy but at one point i didn't know what was happening i was in extreme pain. That's when i was diagnosed with RA. I love MFP and losing (31 lbs.) so far has really helped. I always do better in the summer i just hope i feel just as good in the winter. I have been doing more walking they seem to say exercise helps. i really need to step up and start going to the gym i'm just not ready yet. :) Has anyone noticed water retention with their RA. I have been losing consistently but sometimes it's half lb. and another week it could be 4 lbs.? I take humira every other week and i notice a smaller weight loss right before my injection. I also take small dosage of prednisone i hope i can get off this one day. Best to everyone and keep up the great work :)

If anyone with RA would like to add me as friend it would be terrific!

Cristi
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    I've had arthritis in my ankles, knees and really bad in my lower spine to the point where it's caused sciatica and forced me to walk with a cane at times. When I get a flare up I usually take Ibuprofen and do extra walking. It's better to keep moving then it is to rest with arthritis.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    I'm still in the process of an official diagnosis, andI also have two close family members with RA and a sister with OA so I can really relate to this. I am working out at the gym. My knees really bother me sometimes but lately it's been my elbows. In fact, last night I could barely sleep because my left elbow was really painful. I empathize with the pain. But sounds like you're doing really great! Keep up the good work but listen to your body as well!

eta: I do between 20 minutes to 45 minutes on the elliptical. The treadmill on occasion (I'd rather run outside on a track but I live in a city so they're hard to come by), and a cross-trainer. The cross-trainer really hurts my knees if I have the resistance up too high.