oz ml

Options
Why TF are all drinks measurements in oz? I want to input 200ml of Pepsi and have to make a right pigs-ear of a calculation to get an approximate amount.
Only one country uses oz for drinks, the rest of the entire civilised world uses ml. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, so let's stop pandering to one country and put drinks measurements in ml.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the US hasn't switched to the metric system. It irks me to no end that oz and fl oz are very rarely 1:1 ratios (and depend on the density of the food).

At this point, I use the metric system more often than the US one. Almost all documentation for input and output requires the metric system (30mL = 1 CC = 1fl oz; 1tsp = 5mL ... only to be used for food/drink that are liquids at room temp), and I constantly need to think in mL when drawing up my insulin for my pump (mL to insulin unit conversions).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When you choose your pepsi entry from the database, hit the little down arrow next to the measurement (the one I tried has 20oz) then change it to 1 ml and put your servings at 200. I would double check to make sure the calories that pop up are correct for the 200 ml. Sometimes you have to try a couple different database choices to get one that has an option for ml (or grams for solids)
  • kernowboykuwait
    kernowboykuwait Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah. That's the problem. Having to faff around with choosing 1ml (which isn't always an available choice) and then checking that it gives the correct value for 200ml and if it doesn't then having to do more faffing around.
    If I have to check that it gives the correct calorie count then that is the failing - it should already be one of the reasonably to be expected choices.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can create your own entry to use. I know it gets aggravating but if it's something you have often then you have your own entry that pops up.

I'm in the country that uses ounces for everything but I weigh items (solids) in grams so I do understand the frustration. It drives me nuts lol. And....the liquids here do also have ml and liter, etc listed on the bottles but it gets mostly ignored. It makes no sense.

Edited to clarify
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    You can create your own entry to use. I know it gets aggravating but if it's something you have often then you have your own entry that pops up.

I'm in the country that uses ounces for everything but I weigh items (solids) in grams so I do understand the frustration. It drives me nuts lol. And....the liquids here do also have ml and liter, etc listed on the bottles but it gets mostly ignored. It makes no sense.

Edited to clarify

Just put in your own measures from the labels. I use grams, ml, oz, depending what I'm measuring. But then again, I'm old and remember when Canada used the imperial measurements too. ;)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    murica_17.jpg

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Whose spacecraft crashed into Mars because they got the units messed up ?
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've seen diet coke listed as both metric (mL) and imperial (oz). My way of dealing with mismatched units of measure is to just use Google unit converter. For example, Google is telling me that 20 US fluid ounces (a standard bottle of soda) = 591.471 mL. I agree that the extra step is aggravating, but that's my work around.

As an aside, I am an engineer and I loathe the imperial measurement system. It just makes calculations difficult. Back in school, particularly for calculation heavy subjects like thermodynamics, when I was given a problem using imperial units, I would convert to metric at the beginning, work the problem, and then convert everything back to imperial. I could understand kilowatts and joules, but just could not wrap my head around horsepower and BTUs. I also remember learning the metric system way back in first or second grade, because the US was going to convert to metric. I'm still waiting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Edited to clarify

^this

How do you think so many of those entries got there? Because instead of waiting for someone else to do something, some American did it themselves.

Alternatively, if you don't want to put in this level of effort, divide your ml by 30 which is close enough.

200ml / 30 = 6.67 done.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i don't log my sodas because they are all zero calories
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    murica_17.jpg

LOL ^^^^

Seriously!!!

This is a free site (unless you pay for the Premium). You get what you pay for. I agree with @PiSquared, Google has the answer for everything. And their conversions work pretty good.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    murica_17.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Touché sir, well played.
  • kiousd
    kiousd Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    murica_17.jpg

Bwahahahaha
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

CyberTone wrote: »

Touché sir, well played.

meh, daddy bought us another one that's better and we put that on mars...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    murica_17.jpg

Using something that was filmed in a bunker in New Mexico doesn't help your cause...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

What do you mean Hubble needed glasses?!

ETA: Seriously, how does NASA mess up units of measure more than once?!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm just here because I learned a new word today - "faffing" around.
    Carry on.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Go to google. Type in oz to ml, or ml to oz. boom. Alternatively, download the mfp app, it has a barcode scanner, boom. Finally, if you're really into doing "hard math" just figure out the conversion factor from ml to oz, and multiply that same number to whatever amount you need to... It doesn't change.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A US fluid ounce is 29.57 ml, an imperial ounce is 28.41 ml.