Mason salad jars

Has anyone tried these for food prep? Would love to prep lunch only once a week, but am afraid of sogginess. Has anyone here actually tried it?

Replies

• CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    I have tried it, and I put all the dressing on the bottom and then layer something like tomatoes in the first layer to keep the lettuce away from it until I have a chance to eat it to keep it from getting soggy. I have only made them a night or two before eating them, so I can't say how well they would hold up if you were prepping for the whole week.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    I prep separate veggies into small plastic containers afraid my jars will break on the way to work
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    I prep my veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, etc) a week at a time. I store each days worth in a small ziplock baggie. Then each morning I add the veggies to a plastic container with spinach, and protein (leftover meat, canned chicken.boiled eggs, nuts, seeds or tuna) top it with dressing and shake. It's just right and easy to log because the veggies are the same every day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    I use a bowl the size of a house for my salads. Can't imagine using a jar.

- We are talking about green leaf salads here? Spinach, kale, etc?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have used mason jars and they are very hard to break. I pack the dressing separately to prevent sogginess. A smaller-sized plastic container can sit at the top of the jar. I only prep three days' salad at a time for freshness.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I use a bowl the size of a house for my salads. Can't imagine using a jar.

- We are talking about green leaf salads here? Spinach, kale, etc?

Haha that's exactly what I thought! It's a good idea if it doesn't make things soggy, but if my salad is my meal, it's like a mixing bowl of salad...
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Please help me get excited about mason jars. I get irritated when I see them used for weddings and light fixtures. I think that type of meal prep would make me crazy. I do use them for drinking glasses (they don't shatter into billions of sharp pieces when they drop them on the floor).
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks for your input, guys. I will try it for 2 days in a row, at first and take it from there.
  • tracelhall
    tracelhall Posts: 1 Member
    I will buy a bag of romaine hearts, wash, cut and store in mason jars and it lasts for at least a week. I keep my veggies separate and then mix the day of.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    I wonder if mason jars are a thing in other countries. Maybe that's it. To me, they are old fashioned.
    I use ziplock bags for my lettuce with a paper towel inside.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    I wonder if mason jars are a thing in other countries. Maybe that's it. To me, they are old fashioned.
    I use ziplock bags for my lettuce with a paper towel inside.

Hey Janet. I'm in South Africa and have only ever seen 1 person do it before. I'm not looking for something trendy. But as a mom, I'm looking to cut down on prep time.

How many days do your lettuce last in the zip locks?

• acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    I make 3 mason jar salads on Sunday, and they seem to stay fresh through Thursday. I start with dressing on the bottom, then watery veggies like tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers, then carrots, squash, etc. Then I add some cooked whole wheat pasta, rotisserie chicken, goat cheese, then my greens on top.

My two rules are use the freshest produce possible and make sure the veggies and greens are completely dry before assembling.

I like the mason jar method because they're pretty and I just shake it up to mix everything before dumping on my plate to eat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    I don't think lettuce is going in these mason jars. I think salad is something else. I just ate salad that could barely fit in a big bowl.
    Lettuce can last a week with paper towels.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    I have prepped them for the whole week before and it works out fine, the mason jar has a good seal and keeps everything fresh
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I make mason jar salads frequently. As long as you layer them correctly, keep them upright and don't include anything that goes bad quickly (ex.avocados) they can last for the whole week and not get soggy.
  • MelaniaTrump
    How big are these mason jars? Can someone send me a link or give me ounces? I would have to push lettuce into them. Cram it in. So I could not eat it out of the jar.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited January 2016
    I use quart size jars. Here's a little overview http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pack-the-perfect-salad-in-a-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192174

Edit to add-I dump them in a bowl when i'm ready to eat at work.