How do you choose the right shoe for the activities you do?

BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe Posts: 114 Member
edited January 2016 in Success Stories
I work out regularly at the health club. My activities includes:

1. Brisk walking/running (5.5Kmph/9Kmph) on the treadmill -> 30-40 mins - 4 times a week
2. Cross-trainer in aerobics mode with a intensity ranging from 18-20 -> 30 mins - Everyday
3. Step Aerobics -> 1 hr - 4 times a week
4. Circuit training -> 30 mins - Everyday - I do exercises like Burpees, jumping jacks, frog tuck, planks, etc
5. Zumba -> 1 hr - 3 times a week
6. Cardio Kickboxing -> 1 hr - Once a week

What kind of shoe will work best for me? What to look out for when I choose one? The last time I bought my pair, I didn't give so much thought. I understand it's importance now. My toes pain or feel numb after some workout.

Thanks.

Replies

• I work out regularly at the health club. My activities includes:

1. Brisk walking/running (5.5Kmph/9Kmph) on the treadmill -> 30-40 mins - 4 times a week
    2. Cross-trainer in aerobics mode with a intensity ranging from 18-20 -> 30 mins - Everyday
    4. Circuit training -> 30 mins - Everyday - I do exercises like Burpees, jumping jacks, frog tuck, planks, etc

What kind of shoe will work best for me? What to look out for when I choose one? The last time I bought my pair, I didn't give so much thought. I understand it's importance now. My toes pain or feel numb after some workout.

Thanks.

EDIT: Please suggest something from Skechers..
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    The right shoe is the one that fits you. I know it sounds stupid simple but there really is no right answer. I have a closet full of shoes that over the past 640 days I have used, use or have tried. Find out what fits your foot and your mechanics and that is the right shoe.
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    The same way you select the left shoe? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    If I can't do it in Chuck Taylor's I don't do it.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    I would get fitted From a athletic shoe store Like Fleet Feet or something similar. I prefer Brooks GTS running Shoes for running lifting and general athletics. https://www.fleetfeetsports.com/
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    I work out regularly at the health club. My activities includes:

Thanks.

I don't do any of that so I can't comment. I can comment on shoes I like though ...

So for everyday training I wear Asics running shoes. they actually put allot of research into their shoes and they are all different, the ones that I feel fit me best (seriously best pair of shoes ever) is the gel cumulus 16 series.

I also wear converse to the gym for leg and back days for my dead lifts and squats. I have used the asics to do both workouts in as well without any issues just prefer the converse
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited January 2016
    I agree with getting your foot fitted by a store (especially one that has a the 30-day return policy just in case the shoe they suggest doesn't feel right after trying it out).
    People can suggest what they use--for example, I wear Chucks for lifting and Sauconys for running--but ultimately the forum doesn't know if you're flat-footed, a neutral stance, have overpronation, supination, etc., so we can't properly recommend something that's right for you in specific.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    I would get fitted From a athletic shoe store Like Fleet Feet or something similar. I prefer Brooks GTS running Shoes for running lifting and general athletics. https://www.fleetfeetsports.com/

Hey, those are my runners! I just switched from Asics and I really like the support.

OP, I agree with the advice to get your gait examined and your shoe fitted from a good running store. I use Fleet Feet. If you're going to start lifting, go with something that provides really good stability like Chuck Taylors.

I used to run in an old pair of Sketchers when I first started working out. When I switched to a well made running shoe, I couldn't believe the difference. Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra for a good pair.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    In all seriousness, you're probably going to want two different pairs of shoes.

You need a pair of actual running shoes for running (get fitted for these at a specialty running shop).

However, running shoes do not have the lateral support that most people find necessary for your other activities. For those, you're going to want a cross-trainer. Get these AFTER you have been fitted for your running shoes, so you know if you need a support shoe or a neutral shoe. The running shop may even have cross-trainers you can try on (or at least be able to recommend a few styles based on your fit). However, do not run in cross-trainers - they don't have the correct support for running....they may feel okay at first, but after a while, they will start to hurt/bother you (trust me...been there, done that LOL).

And do NOT limit yourself to a particular brand of shoe. A good running shoe will be more expensive than your typical cross-trainers. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!