Cheat Days

Options
So I'm curious as to what parameters you guys put on your "cheat days" if you have them at all. I've just finished my first week on a new meal plan and it went really well, but I know eventually I'm going to want to go drinking with friends or go out to dinner with family and if I don't indulge every once in awhile I'm afraid I'll eventually crack. I don't want this to be a "diet" I want it to truly be a life change and so I know I need to be realistic and know that there will be days where my calorie count is shot to hell :tongue:

I had initially thought that once a week I'd allow myself to add 500 calories as long as I've kept with my counts and workout for that entire week. I don't want to just be gross and eat junk all day. But I figured that would allow me a night of drinking or one dinner of ordering whatever I want. The more I see the number of crazy calories in several dishes I used to eat on the daily, though, I'm afraid I'm going to blow that number out of the water. Maybe if I just do once every other week starting out and require an extra workout to accompany my indulgence?

Thoughts please?!

Replies

• lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is something I've been thinking about a lot. Most of the people on here will suggest a "cheat meal" as opposed to an entire "cheat day." And I agree with that suggestion... If you have an entire day to go crazy, you're more likely to do that.

I have learned for myself that cheating generally slows down weight loss for that week. But I also know that the monotony of counting calories and feeling restricted eventually leads me to go crazy as soon as I'm "off my diet." So, I think the key here is balance. You know yourself-- if you need to give yourself a treat at the end of the week, then figure out what you need for your own sanity and work that into your week... Maybe do some extra exercise that day. If you just need to go off the grid every now and then and have a meal where you aren't obsessing over calories, then give that to yourself. Just know that it will likely slow down your progress so use it sparingly. It can also be helpful in those situations to still focus on getting some veggies and good stuff in that meal so that you aren't automatically associating "cheating" with "eating all the crap you know is bad for you."

I hope that's helpful. Like I said, these are some things I've been working through for myself. It's taken me a long time to figure out what I need in order to stay motivated through this lifestyle change. Best of luck!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally. I dont mind indulging here and there. Either a meal or drinks, etc. However if i know im going out I will try to really limit my intake during that day. I will also attempt my mid-day or morning work-out with some extra UMPH as well as eat at a higher deficit the next day or two depending on how bad my meal was, just to help ease the drastic intake.
    I dont limit my food choices or have a "cheat day". If I restrict myself from the things I love to eat I will fail again and again. If I know Im eating pizza tomorrow Im going to make sure I make my deficit some how or come as close to it as I can.
    ie: If I eat 500 over my goal I may still be eating my TDEE and for the most part "break even". But I will still shoot for making up that that 500 overage over the next day or 2 either by additional exercise or calorie restriction. So by the end of the week or whatever its not so noticeable.
    Now 500-1000+ calories over- well sure I can work my butt off to help make up for that- but while im sweating it out or restricting my calories- or just not even bothering, Ill tell myself it wasnt worth it because its usually not. :)

Edited for missing punctuation.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    Also, there are MANY things I no longer eat after joining in 2011 and seeing the insane amount of calories I would take in. But it can be fun to find healthier alternatives to your favorites and even trying to make them at home.
  • rstephens1215
    rstephens1215 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I do think that rather than planning a regular cheat day/meal, I should just go with the flow and see if/when I need one. If I go for a couple weeks and don't feel the need to binge or don't end up with plans to go out then there's no need for me to intentionally squeeze it in. I do think a big part of it is just having a small portion of the bad stuff when I'm craving it and I do love the idea of finding a healthy alternative to our unhealthy faves. Great suggestions!
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

Browse those recipes. Many old "favs" are available in lower calorie recipes there.