When it's cold brrrrrr

Options
Do you find yourself more hungry when the temperature drops and if so how do you cope? I'm struggling and find myself going over at the most between 100-150 calories (my limit is 1500, stats are a 33 female of 188lbs at 5ft 7.5inch)

Replies

• ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is totally normal! Some studies have found that swimming resulted in less weight loss among participants than things like jogging. But then other studies found swimming resulted in a comparable amount of weight loss. And the difference between the studies was pool temperature. Swimming in a cooler pool makes you feel hungrier afterward than swimming in a warmer pool, so cold pool participants ate more and lost less weight. It may have something to do with cold raising your metabolism, making you burn more calories, or it may be psychological, like warm food when you are cold is comforting.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    not really, I just bundle up and head out in it and do more exercise
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe on to something their Ecdce, it's prob all in my head! ;);)

Kangoo, just seen your pp and my cold is probably like a spring day to your cold weather :D:D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. Cold just makes me annoyed. Still hungry as ever.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't find it now but I have in the past. Soup.
    good warm soup will be filling and warming. and if you are careful, it can be low calorie at the same time
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah I struggle with this every winter. When it gets cold I want to hibernate. I don't want to move much and I have intense cravings for high carb foods.

How do I cope? Still working that out. Sometimes I just allow myself to eat at a smaller deficit for a few days. Mostly I am just continuing to eat the things I crave within my chosen calorie budget as adjusted by Fitbit. If I want to eat more I have to move more. Not usually a problem during the work week since my activity level is high so I use those days to eat the big starchy meals I want and then try hard to exercise restraint on my days off.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes! Feels like it's time to hibernate lol. I noticed my cat even started eating more now that it's cold (he lives indoors & is already on a diet) so maybe it's just an old survival instinct. Soup is a great idea, or homemade chili. You can make either of those really healthy!