Recipe Values-- Manually Entered Recipe

Options
I am participating in the Lurong Challenge begining on Monday the 18th. I entered one of the recipes from the challenge--- Vegetable Fritata--- into the MyFitnessPal recipe tool. Lurong represents that the recipe has 179 calories per serving. (If I add up the individual ingredients and divide by the number of servings, this seems to be correct.) However, when I entered these ingredients into the recipe tool--- it calculated the servings to be over 500 calories each! (It's basically peppers, onions, mushrooms and 10 eggs divided by 6 servings.) I had to make the recipe contain 18 servings in order to get the correct amount represented on MyFitnessPal. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I used the tool incorrectly---

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First, never ever trust the nutrition information given by a recipe.
    Second, I am not sure how you get 500 calories out of 6 servings of 10 eggs and veggies. Totally baffles me, considering that unless you add a LOT of butter, the total is probably 600-700 calories for the whole thing...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Review your recipe. There has to be a mistake. Copy and paste on here?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    10 large eggs divided by 6 servings is 116 calories. There are very few calories in those vegetables you mention. So unless there are other ingredients, there is some kind of problem with the recipe as its entered into MFP. Check each of the ingredients to make sure that its correct. If you're using the automatic matching feature, where you import a recipe from another site or by pasting in all the ingredients at once, sometimes it comes up with some pretty inaccurate "matches."
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking one (or some) of the ingredients you used is off. For some reason every time I go to build a recipe using bananas, the first one it wants to give me is 1000+ calories for 100g or something crazy. So I always have to choose an alternative entry for most recipes, to insure it's correct.
  • ashleyrichey616
    ashleyrichey616 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking one (or some) of the ingredients you used is off. For some reason every time I go to build a recipe using bananas, the first one it wants to give me is 1000+ calories for 100g or something crazy. So I always have to choose an alternative entry for most recipes, to insure it's correct.

I second this. Sometimes, even when I am importing the ingredients, they come out way off. I always at least skim the list to make sure nothing looks crazy. Any time I try to enter fresh garlic, I end up with something crazy like 800 calories for two cloves of garlic. I just click the 'Replace' button and find another garlic entry that is logical.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    That garlic is making me crazy! It's matched up every time!
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have experienced the same issues. For some reason it told me a recipe I created last night that included 1 cup of fresh mushrooms was 1540 calories, just for the mushrooms, so I had to adjust it, and then it was correct. Just watch the entries.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I almost gave up using the recipe tool UNTIL I used it through the app on my phone. Doing it through the app means it will allow me to choose entries from my own foods and not the random stuff it gives me when I tried using it on my PC. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this too? But maybe it might be slightly less frustrating (if it works for you).
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've found garlic gets messed up a lot, one clove=1200 calories??? Yikes. I have to double check everything.