my challenge: losing weight while recovering from shoulder surgery

Options
Hi everyone, I've started the Fitness Pal app to track my progress. I had shoulder surgery last Friday, and started physical therapy yesterday. Recovery time is estimated to be 6 weeks, and during that time, I am going to try to lose 7 pounds. Wish me luck!

Replies

• dfpollard
    dfpollard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ofrogress update!

I started at 127 lb. with a goal of losing seven pounds ove the next six weeks, while I recover from shoulder surgery.

Plan: 1,200 calories per day plus minimum 20 min. of exercise daily on my elliptical machine (holding onto stationery handle with left hand and keeping right arm in the sling), with the approval of my doctor.

Weight today: 124.5

The biggest challenge of this plan, is the afternoons. That is when I get the biggest cravings to eat just about anything.

I'm also staying completely away from alcohol this month. I understand that it's not unusual as a lot of people have what is called a dry January. Alcohol is empty calories, so I'm going to try my hardest to stay away from it.
  • dfpollard
    Options
    By the way, sorry for any typos. I'm using a lot of talk to text in order to post. It's not a perfect system!
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you'll be fine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I'll assume you are female with a 1200 calorie a day limit. My first thought when I saw your topic was "leg muscles". They are big muscles and if you keep them working it will help you through to goal.

Are you getting bored in the afternoon? Maybe come up with an activity that will distract you from the pantry.
  • shannaxls
    shannaxls Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I tore my ACL back in July and ended up getting 3 surgeries in a months time. Still in physical therapy for it.
  • dfpollard
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. I'll assume you are female with a 1200 calorie a day limit. My first thought when I saw your topic was "leg muscles". They are big muscles and if you keep them working it will help you through to goal.

Are you getting bored in the afternoon? Maybe come up with an activity that will distract you from the pantry.

• canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What did you have done ?
  • dfpollard
    Options
    Boredom is exactly the problem! You're right, I have decided to go do something in the middle of the afternoon to counter it. I also notice that around 4 o'clock I get very sleepy, which is probably a result of the energy crash from the low caloric intake.
  • dfpollard
    Options
    I had a torn labrum in the right shoulder from an accident over two and a half years ago. However, since I'm in my mid forties, they don't repair the labrum. They disconnect the bicep tendon, loop it through your Pectoral muscle, and then so it back onto itself.

They also discovered bursitis, and did a bursectomy. Apparently, you grow a new one!
    canoepug wrote: »
    What did you have done ?

• canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Mmmm not nice.I had 2 tendons re-connected including the bicep and some arthritus ground away.Took ages to recover properly.I walked every day and as soon as it didn't hurt too much did weights with lots of reps/light weights.I did exercise bike too.
  • dfpollard
    Options
    Progress update:

Current weight = 122.5 lb.

I ate two slices of pizza last night so expect weight to go back up until I exercise it off for a couple of days.

Sutures removed at physical therapy today. I'm healing so quickly that skin had already started growing over the sutures, which made it a little less comfortable. Therapist didn't even ice the shoulder as he said I'm moving along very well.

He did tell me to keep wearing the sling, which I hate! I do not want to baby the shoulder.
  • dfpollard
    Options
    Update: down to 122 lb. and holding. Afternoon cravings remain my biggest issue and with the weekend snowstorm we just had, our house is stocked to the hilt with both good and bad foods.

I don't expect must movement weight wise over the next week as the "monthly bill" always throws a wrench into weight loss plans.

However, my shoulder is loose and getting more mobile every day. I was even able to help shovel snow out of our driveway, which says a lot.