Do I live a Secondary or Lightly active lifestyle?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Secondary.
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with lightly active, depending on what activity level you were used to before uni. I went to a huge campus uni and lost weight purely by walking between lectures and my dorm every day. I would definitely recommend you get a pedometer to work out your average steps.
    I'm a sales manager now and stood up all day but am not as active as I was in uni walking around campus.
    Like everyone says, you can always change it if it's not giving results :)
    Good luck :)
  • Penny5518
    Penny5518 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I probably average around an hours walking a day to/from classes and a little bit (5-10 mins) of weight lifting and my calorie burn reflects somewhere between lightly and moderately active, if that helps?
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Since I have a desk job I would qualify as sedentary. However, at lightly active my goal is 1660 a day ... I am sure it'll be around 1200 at the sedentary level. I will starve at 1200 cals a day. It's hard enough not being hungry at 1660. However, when I weigh myself on Monday I'll see how my progress has gone. Hopefully I'll still be losing!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I put mine to lightly active when I was in school because I was walking around a lot. Walking to the bus, to class, up and down stairs, to my car, etc. I guess I could have set it to sedentary but I still lost weight all the same. Now that I'm done with school and have a desk job, I have it set to sedentary.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Try lightly active and then if you don't lose a few pounds over a month, move down one. Better to lose while eating as many cals as you can :)
  • midato
    midato Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SedentaryIf you’re sedentary, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.No moderate of vigorous activities.Unless you do at least 30 minutes per day of intentional exercise, you are considered sedentary.
    Spending most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)The majority of people will be considered sedentary.Lightly ActiveIf you’re lightly active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 30 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 130-160 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time to achieve the same goal.  For example, 15-20 minutes of vigorous activity, such as aerobics, skiing or jogging on a daily basis would put you in this category.Spending a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)ActiveIf you’re active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 470-580 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time.  For example, jogging for 50 minutesper day.Spending a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)Very ActiveIf you’re very active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 4 hours and 15 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 1,150-1400 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time.  For example, jogging for 2 hours minutes per day.Spending most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • midato
    midato Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SedentaryIf you’re sedentary, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.No moderate of vigorous activities.Unless you do at least 30 minutes per day of intentional exercise, you are considered sedentary.
    Spending most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)The majority of people will be considered sedentary.Lightly ActiveIf you’re lightly active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 30 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 130-160 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time to achieve the same goal.  For example, 15-20 minutes of vigorous activity, such as aerobics, skiing or jogging on a daily basis would put you in this category.Spending a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)ActiveIf you’re active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 470-580 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time.  For example, jogging for 50 minutesper day.Spending a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)Very ActiveIf you’re very active, your daily activities include:Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 4 hours and 15 minutes at 4mph.  For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 1,150-1400 additional calories.More intense exercise can be performed for less time.  For example, jogging for 2 hours minutes per day.Spending most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • HollyFromTexas
    HollyFromTexas Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel horrible for WhisperFitandHappy. I do not understand the anger here. I have my personal opinions why people might be acting like that towards her but I am going to keep them to myself in order to avoid another round of crappy comments from these individuals.

I found my way here doing a google search so I too could understand the differences. I am unfortunately sedentary but I think she could get away with lightly active. However it is up to her to decide. I just don't understand why people have to correct peoples mistakes and be downright <insert appropriate curse word here>!

You're doing a great job "Whisper" getting an education and being active between and after classes. Don't let these rude people here be your measure to how wonderful others on this site can be!
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey, so quick question. I'm a full time university student living on campus and I walk around a lot and am always going up and down stairs. Would I be considered secondary or lightly active?

I know this is an old thread, but I would log as lightly active depending on how many classes you have. For example, if you're only going to and from one or two classes a day, that's not a lot. But if you're doing that 5 times a day plus walking to an from campus or something, I'd put lightly active. That's what a I did and I lost weight just fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NVM. NECRO POST.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NVM NECRO POST
  • wrights80
    wrights80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    From all the research that I have done this is what I use to determine my activity level for the day...

Sedentary...up to 5000 steps
    Lightly Active...Between 5000 to 7500 steps
    Moderately Active...Between 7500 to 10000 steps
    Active...Between 10000 to 12500
    Highly Active...12500 and up

I adjust my calories accordingly but never exceed the Active range even though I have walked as much as 24000 steps.

My MFP account is set to Lightly Active.

I think it depends on how much walking you do around campus but I would think that you would at least qualify for Light lyActive...unless you live right next door to your class room!

This is most helpful and amazing answer I've read! Thank you! I've had MFP for 3 years and I never really knew my activity level. I have a desk job but I would walk for about 35 minutes a day (almost 10,000 steps) and then workout (tread/weights) for another 45 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. I lost 10 lbs at the time and I wasn't sure if I was still sedentary or light active (or even active...lol).

This info will help me to have the right calorie goal especially since evening snacks are my issue