Speeding up recovery time?

Options
Does anyone have any ideas or found something that works to speed up the recovery time after heavy lifting?

Replies

• Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Best options.. Rest and eat

Supplement options:
    Shake 25-35g of protein
    Creatine 2.5g
    Citrulline Malate 4g (fatigue)
    Glutamine and/or Betaine 1-1.5g
    (Liver Heath, mood, joint health)

That's what I would look into but if anyone else has anything to add, please do so
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    Best options.. Rest and eat

Supplement options:
    Shake 25-35g of protein
    Creatine 2.5g
    Citrulline Malate 4g (fatigue)
    Glutamine and/or Betaine 1-1.5g
    (Liver Heath, mood, joint health)

That's what I would look into but if anyone else has anything to add, please do so

Thanks! You seem to have lots of good advice :). I do have a 25 G protein shake I use, I use bcaas, not sure on the creatine. I do have glutamine though which I'm not using so maybe I'll start that up again.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling and stretching can help as well. Anything like that will activate the muscle tissue and get blood moving which will help with rebuilding/repair and shorten recovery a little.
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Foam rolling and stretching can help as well. Anything like that will activate the muscle tissue and get blood moving which will help with rebuilding/repair and shorten recovery a little.

Currently I'm stretching after every workout so I guess I'm on the right track. Speaking of blood flow, I read about that. So I was super sore on Tuesday, so I went for a massage to try and help. I was way better the next day. It was a drastic improvement. I can't obviously get a massage everyday lol but when I can I will cause that seems to be a big one.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    buy a foam roller...that and a racquet ball (cheaper than getting a massage). you can use your own bodyweight to really massage the sore muscles.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Take hot baths with epsom salt added.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i don't think there is a way to speed up recovery time, but to help with recovery symptoms i make sure to have BCAA's before during and after my workouts, and the next day. Also the foam roller and active recovery exercises helps. And i have a orbital car buffer i use to massage any sore muscles
    I always allow 3-4 days between muscle groups for recovery, rest is soooo important.

I've heard glutamine helps with reocvery, but i haven't seen that for myself. And creatine isn't really for recovery
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    creatine is going to allow you to train at a higher frequency, which also means quicker and more significant muscular gains.

The more frequent you are able to stimulate a muscle, the faster it will grow bigger, provided that it has had the opportunity to fully grow back after the first stress load that was placed upon it.

Since creatine helps increase the recovery rate of the muscle cells, this means you may not require as much total rest time in between each workout you perform.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    To speed up recovery (a random list of stuff that helps)

1) Maximise sleep time (specifically maximise sleep quality - no screen time 1 hour before bed, no annoying little lights in the bedroom, etc)

2) Get plenty of fluids.

3) Eat as close to your TDEE as you can in order to lose weight, but close enough to not create an extra recovery demand (If you are not in a deficit - disregard this point)

4) Incorporate more aerobic work to increase your aerobic capacity. This will improve recovery. (Notice I said aerobic work, not lactic or anaerobic work)

5) Take soft tissue work seriously. Develop a routine that will allow you to discriminate issues and then the specific work you need to do recover.

6) Make sure you are getting adequate protein.

7) Eliminate as much unnecessary stress/drama/alcohol/etc from your life as you can.