Weight lifting and losing weight

Options
Does weight lifting help in losing weight? I've always thought that lifting weight adds more weight so I have been just dieting and watching calories. I'm eating at a deficit and really changed the way I eat.

I'm losing weight but it seems extremely slow. Would weight lifting be something I should add? Last month I did 30-40 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and it really didn't help with weight loss. So this month, I decided to just focus on calories. It's about the same. A friend recently said weight lifting would make a huge difference so I've been trying to do some research on it. I'm new to the fitness game and I really only have time for cardio OR lifting weight at the moment. Thanks!

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Then do weight lifting.

It helps by adding more muscle mass, that would let you burn more calories. It doesn't really make you directly lose weight though. Only eating less calories can do that.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weightlifting are both great for fitness, ultimately it all boils down to calories. I am currently weightlifting and doing cardio, when I was eating in a deficit I lost weight, for the last month I have been eating at maintenance but still lifting (and cardio) and haven't loss any weight just maintained.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How many hours/day and how many days/week are you able to allocate towards fitness? You don't need to pick one or the other. You can lift weights on certain days and do cardio on others. Weight lifting, cardio, and proper diet/nutrition are all important when you're trying to lose weight (fat). You need to lift so your body doesn't lose too much muscle while you are in a caloric deficit. Cardio helps to get you into a caloric deficit and food of course you need to control what you eat.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Having more muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Which in turn will help weight loss if you eat at a deficit. And IMO, being toned is more attractive than being skinny.

Here's some of my progress pics.
    On the first pic, I weighed 164 lbs, second one I was at 153 lbs and the last one was at 146.

6e755fv1us94.jpg

Feel free to friend me or message me.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is basically all about keeping your intake calories in a deficit. I love running but my left foot and knee not so much. So I use a lot more weight training now for exercise. I've always done both and have lost 60+ lbs so far. As long as I eat at a calorie deficit I will lose, regardless of what workouts I do. I will always encourage people to do both, gives the best results.
  • david_cochran
    david_cochran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn even at rest. It makes your body more efficient. A HUGE misconception is that people need to become glued to the treadmill to lose weight, but multiple studies prove in every way that lifting weights and suplimenting with cardio burns more fat than just cardio alone. And remember with lifting weights, progressive overload is key. So if you do an excercise for 3 sets of 10 reps with 20 lbs and you were successful on all 3 sets, the next time you work out you will use 3 sets of 10 reps with 25 lbs. Rinse and repeat. The other misunderstanding is if you work out you will be big like a bodybuilder. Not true! Bodybuilders are professionals at their trade. Weightlifting is their job. Their diet and (legal) suplementation are specifically designed for them to achieve the results that they do. For the average everyday joe or joeanne like the rest of us it simply isnt going to happen. So lift heavy, lift hard, and reap the benefits!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Does weight lifting help in losing weight? I've always thought that lifting weight adds more weight so I have been just dieting and watching calories. I'm eating at a deficit and really changed the way I eat.

I'm losing weight but it seems extremely slow. Would weight lifting be something I should add? Last month I did 30-40 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and it really didn't help with weight loss. So this month, I decided to just focus on calories. It's about the same. A friend recently said weight lifting would make a huge difference so I've been trying to do some research on it. I'm new to the fitness game and I really only have time for cardio OR lifting weight at the moment. Thanks!

No. It will make a difference in how strong you are, in how lean you look, it will affect appearance, it will not make the weight melt away. Exercise (cardio and strength training) are for staying healthy and looking better, not so much for losing weight, unless you plan to spend hours exercising per day.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    weight lifting will make a huge difference in your life, you shoudl definately do it if you are considering it. But for weight loss you need to look at what you're eating, more than just watching calories you need to watch nutritional content as well.. And weight lifting doesn't make you gain weight unless you are over eating , you may retain water as you cycle through workouts so the scale is higher, but you wont be gaining fat. And you may gain weight through some muscle mass, but that's a good thing.
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm definitely eating at a deficit. MFP set my limit at around 2700 calories a day on the 2 pound per week loss goal. I am hovering at around 2400 a day. I'm still trying to cut the sodium since I'm consistently over in that category. Just finding foods that fit.
    How many hours/day and how many days/week are you able to allocate towards fitness? You don't need to pick one or the other. You can lift weights on certain days and do cardio on others. Weight lifting, cardio, and proper diet/nutrition are all important when you're trying to lose weight (fat). You need to lift so your body doesn't lose too much muscle while you are in a caloric deficit. Cardio helps to get you into a caloric deficit and food of course you need to control what you eat.

That's a good point. I have 4 days a week and usually spend 40-60 minutes a day. I enjoy weight lifting way more than cardio but I suppose I could alternate. I sneak in other things at home when I have the time as well.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I. Love. Weightlifting. Obviously, it's personal preference - but the reward alone from seeing your maxes increase and slowly watching that muscle build is fantastic and extremely motivating to stay on track. At least for me, cardio doesn't make me as tired or sore as lifting does. The mental benefit of feeling the work you did is such a confidence boost. I know I'm not answering your question, I'm not an expert so I won't pretend, but I will say this - even if it inherently does or doesn't boost fat loss, the mental benefit you get from it is worth it and I'm not even talking about the physical and visual yet.

I also do not enjoy doing cardio unless I'm running outside. So my opinion is definitely biased. If I had a bad day at work, I take it out on the squat rack. If I had a bad day at work and do just the elliptical, I get more angry haha.

Whatever you decide to do, you cannot go wrong with adding in some strength. Just make sure you seek out a professional to help you with form and what's what to avoid injury.

Good luck to you!
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose more weight with lifting. Not only does it help speed up your metabolism and improve your appearance, but when you lift you continue to burn calories even after you are done working out - which personally I think is pretty cool! I was just reading this article that has some great info about this https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/weight_training_versus_cardio/
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lifting helps you loose FAT and build MUSCLE. SO if you are looking for low body percentage type of physique, lifting is for you. Especially if you lift with intensity-keep your heart rate high and heavy-challenge yourself. Lifting is the best thing ever you can do if you want lean, strong, sexy toned body.

I use Polar with heart rate monitor to measure each one of my weight lifting sessions, I do work very, very hard (always include compound exercises like squats, deadlifts etc.), really enjoy it and burn on average 600-700 calories per hours. And I don't go crazy like I would doing cardio :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lifting in a deficit will help you maintain lean body mass, which is not only healthy but can help you look better as well. The picture on the left in my profile is the result of lifting in a deficit. You do not get bigger (I was actually a bit thin there). The right is me after lifting in a SURPLUS. You will only get bigger if you are eating above your TDEE.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to lift weights to get benefits, do body weight exercises like push ups, squats, dips and bridges. I've had really good results and yes I do have dumbells I use in my workouts im pretty sure it's the push ups that have given me most of my arm definition and growth. My body looks much much healthier after these exercises than it ever did with diet and cardio alone :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Weight lifting ...progressive resistance ...is amazing for body composition, strength, stamina, happiness

Calorie control is important for scale weight loss

Cardio is important for cardiovascular health and you get more calories to go into your calorie control

Losing weight makes you look good in clothes, weight lifting makes you look good naked (tm @AnvilHead)

Just need to pick up on this which while mainly true overemphasises how much TDEE changes due to muscle
    The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn even at rest. It makes your body more efficient. A HUGE misconception is that people need to become glued to the treadmill to lose weight, but multiple studies prove in every way that lifting weights and suplimenting with cardio burns more fat than just cardio alone. And remember with lifting weights, progressive overload is key. So if you do an excercise for 3 sets of 10 reps with 20 lbs and you were successful on all 3 sets, the next time you work out you will use 3 sets of 10 reps with 25 lbs. Rinse and repeat. The other misunderstanding is if you work out you will be big like a bodybuilder. Not true! Bodybuilders are professionals at their trade. Weightlifting is their job. Their diet and (legal) suplementation are specifically designed for them to achieve the results that they do. For the average everyday joe or joeanne like the rest of us it simply isnt going to happen. So lift heavy, lift hard, and reap the benefits!

A lb of muscle at rest will burn somewhere between 6-10 calories a day
    A lb of fat around 2-4

Doing everything right with a focus on calories (surplus), protein and a decent hypertrophy programme a woman could possibly gain 10-15lbs a year of muscle as a noob lifter...meaning the net increase is 80-90 calories per day which is an apple mebbe ...

But that shouldn't stop anyone lifting

Lift

Lift heavy

Be awesome
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Lifting in a deficit will help you maintain lean body mass, which is not only healthy but can help you look better as well. The picture on the left in my profile is the result of lifting in a deficit. You do not get bigger (I was actually a bit thin there). The right is me after lifting in a SURPLUS. You will only get bigger if you are eating above your TDEE.

Ahhh ok, that's good to know, thanks. I suppose that's why guys who want to get bigger drink a lot of protein powder when going to the gym. I'd definitely be doing it in a deficit.
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    You don't necessarily have to lift weights to get benefits, do body weight exercises like push ups, squats, dips and bridges. I've had really good results and yes I do have dumbells I use in my workouts im pretty sure it's the push ups that have given me most of my arm definition and growth. My body looks much much healthier after these exercises than it ever did with diet and cardio alone :)

Thanks! I have plenty of body weight so that should be work great for me. Those are some things I can do outside of the gym when I'm short on time.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight lifting ...progressive resistance ...is amazing for body composition, strength, stamina, happiness

Calorie control is important for scale weight loss

Cardio is important for cardiovascular health and you get more calories to go into your calorie control

Losing weight makes you look good in clothes, weight lifting makes you look good naked (tm @AnvilHead)

Just need to pick up on this which while mainly true overemphasises how much TDEE changes due to muscle

A lb of muscle at rest will burn somewhere between 6-10 calories a day
    A lb of fat around 2-4

Doing everything right with a focus on calories (surplus), protein and a decent hypertrophy programme a woman could possibly gain 10-15lbs a year of muscle as a noob lifter...meaning the net increase is 80-90 calories per day which is an apple mebbe ...

But that shouldn't stop anyone lifting

Lift

Lift heavy

Be awesome

Thanks for the breakdown. That simplifies it as far as what helps with what. I'm finally getting the calorie thing under control. The past year and half have been eye opening, I had no idea who many calories I was consuming. It was ridiculous.

I feel like even with weight lifting, I will still lose weight up until a certain point since there is so much weight to be lost. It may be slower but it sounds gratifying regardless of the number.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    Are there any specifics about what weights to start out with? Friends have said to go with extremely light and just slowly add 5-10 pounds each week or so until it gets heavy. 24 year old man. The main thing I'm worried about is form. I found a thread that provides some links to help with that though.
  • Proguy101
    Proguy101 Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Endless amounts plans out there.... Endless. Research until you find one that makes sense to you and give it a go. Or a trainer for a few classes. A blend of strength training and HIIT will drop weight quick.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    I may have to end up going to a gym because my gym at work is good for cardio. They have some free weights and the only working machines are bench (multi-press), leg press and a couple of other specialized ones for glutes and triceps/curls but these don't work. No deadlifting or the big compound lifts resources.
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Usually when you sign up with a new gym they offer some free training sessions and other training packages.