Need womens running shoe recommendations

Options
After a deeply fulfilling twelve year relationship, Ryka and I have decided to part ways. We just didn't seem to be looking for the same things anymore. I wanted my same, consistent fit with super reliable comfort when I walked or ran, Ryka seems to want other things. ;)

As a woman with a narrow heel, narrow foot and high arches, what do all of you recommend? I got a pair of Saucony Grid Cohesion yesterday. They are ok, but I had numb toes this morning. I only went 2 miles, and maybe they're just forming to my foot, but I don't know. Otherwise they were comfortable, especially for a brand new shoe.

Anyone who has experience please chime in, I'm willing to try new shoes, I just don't want numb toes!

Thanks, Heidi aka Badger

Replies

• NikkiShells81
    NikkiShells81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got these recently and they are the most comfortable running shoes ever. I just started running last July but these shoes are life!

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Womens-Lunarglide-Running-Black/dp/B00GST41YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452867134&sr=8-1&keywords=womens+running+shoes+lunar
  • Badger6170
    Badger6170 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll see if I can find a pair around here to try. Having size 6 shoes is a curse! They're always available online, but rarely in stores. Those darn kids buy them (well, their parents) before I can!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    go to your local running store. get fitted. avoid numb toes and doctors visits
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    This. Get professionally fitted. With that said I love my Brooks.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and get fitted and they can help. I absolutely love saucony and have worn those exclusively for exercise over the past two years. they are the best for running.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    alypri wrote: »

I'm going to third going to a running store and get fitted - a good store won't just shove you into a shoe. They'll also look at your gait, your arches, the fit of the shoe, etc.

Also... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Brooks!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you want a perfect fit for your foot and gait, you need to go to a running store.

I have small feet as well and I'm now buying kids Nike Frees - a US women's 6 is a 4Y in those and they are perfect for me, but everyone is different, which is why there are so many different shoes out there.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just bought 4 sets of shoes to try. With a narrow heel and high arches, the Nike FreeRun Distance and Brooks Pure Flow 5s would be worth trying. I have a narrow heel and a wider forefoot. Low arch, but even slightly tight laces cause me an issue with bruising. Both of these shoes are snug around my heel and give my toes enough room.

Fair warning - both have a relatively low drop (0mm and 4mm) so that might be a problem if you're not used to it.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Brooks Glycerin. Pricey ($150) but super cushy and supportive in the arch. That said, I also use a Superfeet insert. I got fitted at local running store. I have the same type of feet you mentioned (narrow with high arch). I also like the Brooks Launch, it's around $120 and less shoe, but still supportive.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm also a HUGE Brooks Glycerin fan!!!! They saved my foot!!! I found a pair at Foot Locker for only $80, last month. Otherwise they usually run pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    IsaCaliBel wrote: »
    I'm also a HUGE Brooks Glycerin fan!!!! They saved my foot!!! I found a pair at Foot Locker for only $80, last month. Otherwise they usually run pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

OMG! I'm jealous! I'd have bought all they had in my size!! Good find :)
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I will also vote for going to a running store and having someone there assist you in finding a shoe that fits your needs.

I used to just buy whatever shoe I liked from Nike, and then I moved to Houston, went to a running store and have never looked back. Getting fitted for a shoe that fits my needs has changed my running on so many levels, and now I only go to running shops when I replace them or need other equipment.
  • Badger6170
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everybody! Looks like a trip to a ruining store is in order for a proper analysis and fitting.
  • Badger6170
    Options
    Bwahaha, sometimes an auto correct is just too funny to edit. Ruining store!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said go to a running store to get fitted. When I started running I used to where Nike, Sketchers etc.. my feet were numb and constantly hurting I went to a running store got fitted had to go up a size to a 10.5 and it's been wonderful ever since. They are pricy but well worth the money
  • Hunter2224
    Hunter2224 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the adidas spring Blade? I am looking for a good running shoe and the reviews said they were really good. The sides of my feet and arches get really sore when I run ( I have size 11 super narrow flat feet )
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always go to New Balance and get fitted. I have narrow feet and high arches, and that is one of the few places I can actually get comfortable shoes that last - but I primarily walk, not run, so not sure how their running shoes perform.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Is a running store a place like Foot RX? I'm not sure what anyone means exactly by "Running Store"
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    alypri wrote: »

^^This - go to a running shop and talk to them. They'll watch you walk to see if you pronate or supinate and help you find shoes accordingly. Are you a trail runner? A road runner? etc. I'm currently rocking some Asics for pronaters and I LOVE them.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a narrow foot, and I like Newtons, but they aren't for everyone. They are great for me, they keep me at a mid-foot strike.