Hypothyroidism

Options
I am counting all the calories and exercising at least 30 mins a day, but just can't seem to loose more than 4 lbs. Help. I have underactive thyroid, any suggestions

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What did the doctor tell you to do? Did you know that a multivitamin has iodine which can help with that? It will also include vitamin d, selenium, vit b, zinc, that can help.
  • msammunition
    msammunition Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too, I haven't had any problems loosing weight, are you on meds and do you get your levels checked every 6 months if you don't that could be the problem, your dosage may need to be changed. I take one a day active metabolism multivitamin but it am on synthroid and have been for 9 years. My doctor checks every 6 months to see if he needs to increase or decrease my dosage. Hope this helps.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication for it?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you know you are on the right meds and both TSH and T4 are well into normal levels, then I would look for other reasons (inaccurate logging usually being the problem) or give it more time.
    If you are not sure about your levels or did not have a test for a while, discuss this with your dr.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you know you are on the right meds and both TSH and T4 are well into normal levels, then I would look for other reasons (inaccurate logging usually being the problem) or give it more time.
    If you are not sure about your levels or did not have a test for a while, discuss this with your dr.

TSH is worthless - it can be totally normal when your have impaired thyroid functioning. Measuring T4 is better, but you also need to have T3 and rT3 checked. With a normally functioning thyroid it converts T4 to T3 (the happy enzyme - as my doctor says). That's why doctors start out prescribing T4 - if your thyroid does what it is supposed to do, it's all good.

If it is not functioning normally, though, it converts some of the T4 to rT3 (one of the sad enzymes - according to my doctor). If that is happening, you should ask your doctor to consider prescribing a lower dose of T4 plus a small dose of T3.
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    it's an ongoing battle- some weeks you have a better loss than others. Just keep pushing through and taking your meds- your effort will soon payoff.
  • bandpwise
    bandpwise Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I am on medication, however, I am also allergic to yeast. My doctor has suggested I do a yeast free, gluten free, and dairy free diet. I have done this in the past and it works. I lost 27 lbs the first time around. Unfortunately, because I got off my meds and stopped eating properly, I gained it all back. I started back on everything and have lost 4 lbs. since Monday. For information go to http://www.hotzevitamins.com/

Hope that helps you. I know it is a difficult struggle.