Wedding dress

Options
Hi yall :) my wedding is in 8 months, my dress is a size 12 and i am currently size 15. My calorie count is 1000 a day and my goal is to work out at least 3x a week. Usually i burn about 600 calories. Its hard bc im a stay at home mom. Do you guys think ill be able to lose about 50 pds by September? Thanks for the advice ahead of time :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You eat 1000 calories a day and burn 600 calories so essentially you are only getting 400 calories a day. This is a recipe for big time fail and complete burn out. Nope, not healthy at all.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose 50 lbs by September. It is safe to lose 2 lbs a week at the maximum. 1000 a day in calories is not enough. The minimum recommended by MFP is 1200 calories a week. If you were sedentary and not going to do any exercise while trying to lose 2 lbs a week I believe MFP gives you 1200 calories. You working out 3x a week on only 1000 a day is going to make you have some issues. Be safe :) Good Luck on your Journey!
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    I only started 1 weeks ago, iv only been to the gym once but i plan on starting a routine. What should my calorie intake be if im burning about 600 cals?? Im not trying to fail, trust me
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Set your goals up here, probably as sedentary and then log your gym workouts
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Set your goal on MFP, and eat the amount of calories it tells you, plus half to 75% of your exercise calories.

ETA: it may seem counterintuitive to eat back your workout calories, but MFP is set up to add those calories in and you have to fuel those burns correctly. MFP notoriously overestimates, so that's why it is recommended to eat 50-75% back.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I only started 1 weeks ago, iv only been to the gym once but i plan on starting a routine. What should my calorie intake be if im burning about 600 cals?? Im not trying to fail, trust me

I know you don't want to fail but you want to look awesome by your date. You need to fuel your workouts!! You can do this!! and congrats!!
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Thank you guys :)
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Omg that's scary buying a small wedding dress! But the best motivation ever!! You can do it :).
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Omg that's scary buying a small wedding dress! But the best motivation ever!! You can do it :).
    It really is scary lol
  • justynegil
    justynegil Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, my dress is a 14 and I am an 18, however, I am planning on getting my dress altered for a corset so hopefully if I miss my goal by a few lbs it will still work... we can do this!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've been there - my best advice is to work towards your goal in a healthy way and be HAPPY with the result. Remember, your wedding is a day, and it will be a great day no matter what. I lost 50 pounds total, but I lost the last 25 for the wedding and that took 9 months and I was quite aggressive. I also bought my dress at a size 10 or 12 (can't remember) and it ended up getting tailored to about a 4 (make sure if you are going to do this, you buy a dress that can be altered like this, most can't). DON'T buy a dress that is too small!!! Just alter it down, you will be happier for it and it will be much less scary.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You'll have to be very determined and on track all to time to achieve 50 lbs in 8 months. It took me 18 months to drop 50 lbs. To give you an idea: I workout 5-6 days a week, I do strenght training, yoga, pilates, I also run occasionally. I'm 5'1'', 28 yo, and I eat 1550 calories per day. I average a loss of 0,8 lbs per week.

Be carefull to eat enough. Eating too little will hinder your weightloss just as eating too much will. Start with 1200 calories per day, which is the minimum for an adult female. Then you can add your exercise calories (but only count the workouts, not the "cleaning" or "walking the dog" burned calories)

Then go read about macros. Get educated about nutrition. You'll have to adapt and modify your nutrition and knowledge is the best way to do it. Then do the same thing for exercise!

Good luck :)
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Thank you so much for being realistic, im a stay at home mom so getting to the gym atleast 4 days doing some cardio is a big step for me. Im also trying to eat healthy calories for dinner and snakes for now. I figure thats a good start to becoming healthy. Ill learn as i go :)
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Getting from a juniors 15 to a misses 12 is totally doable by september. But I agree with everyone else. 1000 calories is way to low, especially if you burn 600 a day. I work out for 30 mins everyday and burn around 250 cal and that's been working for me.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'll learn as i go :)

You will certainly learn as you go... and I assume you mean Shakes :) not snakes.

I'd say go to a website to calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) then subtract calories from that...
    Ex: my TDEE is 2800 IF I walk 10,000 steps a day and have 30 minutes of activity... so I can subtract 1000 calories from that and still eat 1800 and lose up to 2 lbs per week. If I need more calories I can change it to subtracting 500 calories and lose 1lb per week.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? You can workout at home and involve them. Kids are great weight-lifting tools. Body-weight strength like push-ups and squats are great ways to boost the bust and booty. Take them out for a walk or biking. Whatever way makes it easiest to keep on track. If they are involved they will hold you accountable to keep at it (if they enjoy it too).
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd like to recommend you to read the posts that are listed on the top posts in diet/fitness forum and success story forum. I find inspiration and motivation from those posts A LOT. There are people ahead of me who went through the journey and still are pursuing with determination. They are real people and true inspiration. :smile:
    Personally, I don't have much time to do anything really. So I try to move and wiggle more as much as I can around the house. I do weird stretching in the kitchen, lunges when I walk from one room to another, and just shake the booty on music when cleaning my apt. Without going to gym, by logging every single food as accurately as possible and recording walks and general house work (it's listed as "Misc tasks (light/moderate)" in the MapMyFitness app), I've lost 10 pounds during the first month. I try to eat at least my BMR (you can find the BMR calculator on the MyFitnessPal website, not the app, under the "Apps" menu) and move/exercise to make the net calorie of the day equal or lower than recommended calories. So, in my case, the recommended calories to lose weight is 1200, and my BMR is 1400. I normally eat between 1400 and 1700 then do house chore and/or home exercise to burn at least 300 to 600.
    Hope you the best. :wink:
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,158 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it. But as above do it healthy. That way it can become a way of life and you can maintain the new weight.

Be prepared to hit sticking points. When you do keep pushing. As be prepared to switch up your routine when that happens. Too much to text in one post to you lol.

But definitely get a workout routine, one that's not too demanding at first. Then as you see improvements and become more motivated you can add to it if desired. Along with cario and diet.

Good luck to you. I hope the help and motivation from everybody gets you where you want to be.

• rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Thank you!