Going on Vacation...how do i keep my diet?!

Options
I'll be heading to NOLA in a couple of weeks and I am kinda dreading the messing up my diet part. I'm excited to see the city, attend Mardi Gras and just experience it but one of the main reasons I used to want to go before was for the food! How do I experience all the great food and not completely RUIN my diet?!

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Going to Jamaica in 2 weeks. I'm going to skip all the bread/carb-y breakfasts and stick with eggs and meats. I don't drink alcohol but usually go for all the fresh fruit juices, which I will limit. I'm going to participate in the aqua aerobics that they offer, swim and walk.
    For NOLA, you can make breakfasts and lunches healthy, and carry healthy snacks, and eat a special dinner. You will definitely be walking a lot there and maybe your hotel has a gym? Just do your best and enjoy.
  • yazmizzie8
    yazmizzie8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Going to Jamaica in 2 weeks. I'm going to skip all the bread/carb-y breakfasts and stick with eggs and meats. I don't drink alcohol but usually go for all the fresh fruit juices, which I will limit. I'm going to participate in the aqua aerobics that they offer, swim and walk.
    For NOLA, you can make breakfasts and lunches healthy, and carry healthy snacks, and eat a special dinner. You will definitely be walking a lot there and maybe your hotel has a gym? Just do your best and enjoy.

Breakfasts are for sure the easiest part for me. Lunches I can see how I can possibly make healthy but the alcohol is my problem honestly. I just know that's where i'll be tested, because I do enjoy to socially drink. You're right though being big all my life I never actually used the hotel gym.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Vacations are tough. You certainly don't want to miss out on that awesome food, but you don't have to eat it all. Do your best, walk a lot, drink a water for every drink. See if friends will split entrees or order appetizer sizes of the richest dishes or desserts. And since you know you are going to over indulge, acknowledge it and come back ready to get back at it. Work a bit harder these next few weeks. Maybe you'll see some progress and not want to go hog wild. Have fun!!
  • yazmizzie8
    yazmizzie8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Vacations are tough. You certainly don't want to miss out on that awesome food, but you don't have to eat it all. Do your best, walk a lot, drink a water for every drink. See if friends will split entrees or order appetizer sizes of the richest dishes or desserts. And since you know you are going to over indulge, acknowledge it and come back ready to get back at it. Work a bit harder these next few weeks. Maybe you'll see some progress and not want to go hog wild. Have fun!!

Thank you, the best part is my BFF is also on a weight loss journey and we are going together. So sharing smaller sizes of food would be a good idea!! I will for sure work hard until then!!!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    New Orleans has some great Vietnamese food, which is not terribly high in calorie. Get some spring rolls and pho.

Stay active while on vacation! If you're touring around you will probably be walking quite a bit. That'll help you to earn more calories.

I was stressing myself out about going on vacation because I thought it would be hard to stay on track. I actually ended up losing weight on vacation because I stayed so active, and sometimes got too busy to have a proper meal.

Most importantly be sure to enjoy yourself! Don't stress, have fun and indulge a little. You'll be fine.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Work extra hard on weight loss working up to the date. That way, if you gain back a couple pounds, no biggie. Drink lots of water and save yourself for those 'must have' foods. If you deprive yourself of foods you love throughout your weight loss journey, you'll feel like you're dieting and usually you get derailed.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.Enjoy the food and the company.
    I know that I will get some extra pounds when visiting family so I try to decrease my body weight 3 months in advance to my vacation.
    If not feasible, just go back to your nutrition plan, as soon as you can and start eating at a deficit again.
    Safe travel
  • kelsquast
    kelsquast Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be in NOLA for Mardi Gras as well and as I went to LSU I know the food is one of the best parts of the city. I'm planning on eating as close to maintenance as possible, like I did over Christmas. That way I won't be expecting to have seen the usual amount come off the scale when I get back! I also sit down and have a serious "talk" with myself and remind myself that a couple of extra pounds is worth the experience and feeling of being able to take advantage of my trip! 2 or 3 pounds won't derail your whole journey, have some beignets girl!!
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump your calories to maintenance for the week. Look up any farmer markets, or health food restaurants to add to your experience in advance, you may start to find you like them. Make a concerted effort to find active pursuits and activities to spend your free time. Consider strategically planning for some meals and snacks from packed items or a quick grocery store run while out to make room for the restaurant splurges at other times. If I check baggage high fiber cereal and almond milk single serve (no refrigeration required) or kashi granola bars if carry on are standbys, if driving... I've started taking my electric crockpot. Lol
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    have a plan. we are taking a family vacation in a few months. and i already have the menu planned. of course i have a couple of eat out meals planned, and for them i will refrain from over indulging. besides the car ride there and back there should be plenty of walking and swimming so i will not feel bad when we do order out those couple of times.

also i second the above the crock pot is a life saver, mine will be coming with us.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    its VACATION. go. enjoy. dont worry about it.

i take a couple of vacations a year and eat whatever the heck i want, and have never gained more than 3 pounds, most of that from sodium, and within 2 weeks it falls off again.

NOLA has soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much good food. go. ENJOY. eat all the things!!!!