New Runner Calf Pain - Help!

Options
I started running on a treadmill in January - starting with a modified Couch to 5K program, walk/run, walk/run...
I overdid it and hurt my knee. Ended up having to take a month off because I could barely walk.

So, by late March I started up again. Now I am having pain in my calves, on the inside, stemming from my inner ankle up. I have tried rest, just plain continuing with walking to build strength, stretching, and have started yoga. Tuesday I started jogging (after warming up) and couldn't make it more than 30 seconds. It hurts when I run, when my foot hits the treadmill/street.

Does anyone have any advice? I wanted to run a 5K but at this rate I will be walking one!

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    It took me having to just walk for about a month and a half to build the strength in my calves. They sound like shin splints. The best thing to do is ice them down, only walk daily or every other day. Then start the the c25k program again in about a month, if they still hurt hold off a couple more weeks. Don't try to work through the pain, it will only make it worse. Mine almost felt like I had a stress fracture. :cry:
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be shin splints but I'm not sure. It could just be sore muscles in your calf too.
  • mmd382
    mmd382 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should try to get some new running shoes. You would be shocked how much of a difference they make. And definitely go to a store and by running only shoes. Also not sure if you're working with inclines but try to remove them from your workouts until you're completely heeled. They really exacerbate shin splints. Hope that helps!
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started C25K as well and into the 2nd week I couldn't step on my right leg due to pain in my shin. My doctor said it was the tendon in the calf area that I keep pulling. I thought, Great, I wanted to do running in hopes to kick out of my plateau and change things up, but now I pull a tendon in my leg and also have plantar fascititis (which is I rip the tendon in the heel of my foot if I don't wear my shoe inserts and stretch each morning before getting out of bed). He told me to really do a TON of stretching before and after and I should only do short spurts of running, but keep walking to build up tolerance in my muscles and to see if I can change the outcome eventually.

Here is a list of stretches I found while surfing: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Good luck!
  • DeanDowney
    DeanDowney Posts: 22
    Options
    I had similar issues and used a cream called "Deep freeze", http://www.boots.com/en/Deep-Freeze-Cold-Gel-100g_6727/
    Apply 30 - 60 minutes before running, worked a treat. I still use the treadmill but no longer need the cream. :happy:
  • AMHA32
    AMHA32 Posts: 23
    Options
    Ice and Rest! I did this same thing earlier this year when I pushed myself too much too fast. I also bought one of those disposable ankle heat wraps after going for a run and coming back in much pain. It helped a lot! The pain was significantly less after using it once.

It really does take about a month for the pain to go away. I also was wearing heels to work everyday and I think that added to the injury. I was always one of those "run through the pain" people, but, now I don't think that is the best idea :)
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill in January - starting with a modified Couch to 5K program, walk/run, walk/run...
    I overdid it and hurt my knee. Ended up having to take a month off because I could barely walk.

So, by late March I started up again. Now I am having pain in my calves, on the inside, stemming from my inner ankle up. I have tried rest, just plain continuing with walking to build strength, stretching, and have started yoga. Tuesday I started jogging (after warming up) and couldn't make it more than 30 seconds. It hurts when I run, when my foot hits the treadmill/street.

Does anyone have any advice? I wanted to run a 5K but at this rate I will be walking one!

Sounds like maybe acute posteromedial shin splints? Hard to tell just based upon a description You may have pes planus ( flat feet) in which your foot overpronates. Most of the time you will get pain when standing on your toes or inverting your ankle when you have posteromedial shin splints. Anterolateral shin splints hurt when your heel strikes. Change your shoes and get a good shoe that supports your medial arch. Also try cryomassage. Get a dixie cup/ styrofoam cup and fill 1/2 way with water....freeze it then tear the bottom of the cup off...smooth any rough edges off and massage the ice directly onto your leg but avoid lingering over bony prominences. Do this about 5-7 minutes to gate the pain. You need to rest and stretch. If you ice more than once per day you need to allow your skin to get back to normal temp before reapplying (about 45min) Definitely go try to confirm a diagnosis by seeing a doctor and physical therapist so they can see what it is. Sometimes it could be a stress fracture. A physical therapist may be able to assess your gait to help you with shoe or orthotic choices if that is an issue.
  • Elodie104
    Elodie104 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!

I knew I needed a different perspective! I guess I thought shin splints were just in the very front of the leg (along the shin...).

I did some research on "acute posteromedial shin splints" and this sounds exactly like what I have. I do have new shoes, but I think my form is incorrect, overpronating, like was mentioned. When I run, I come down on the balls of my feet (I used to due a lot of ballet, maybe that's why?). I looked up running form, and found you're supposed to come down between the heel and midfoot. Thought I'd share in case someone else was having similar difficulties.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked! You have given me new hope that I can continue running. I was beginning to give up!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!

I knew I needed a different perspective! I guess I thought shin splints were just in the very front of the leg (along the shin...).

I did some research on "acute posteromedial shin splints" and this sounds exactly like what I have. I do have new shoes, but I think my form is incorrect, overpronating, like was mentioned. When I run, I come down on the balls of my feet (I used to due a lot of ballet, maybe that's why?). I looked up running form, and found you're supposed to come down between the heel and midfoot. Thought I'd share in case someone else was having similar difficulties.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked! You have given me new hope that I can continue running. I was beginning to give up!
    Don't run on your heels or your problems will get worse. Landing on the balls of your feet directly under your center of mass (directly under your body) is the best form. After your foot lands on the forefoot you should allow the heel to briefly and lightly touch the ground befor lifting your foot for the next step. This allows the arch of the foot to compress to absorb shock and store energy for the next step.

Take off your shoes and run barefoot for a short distance. The way your feet land naturally when not encased in several inches of foam padding is the way they should land all the time.
  • Elodie104
    Elodie104 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Scottb81 - That's what I originally thought... Thank you.

I will pay more attention when I try to run again.