No Fast Food for the past 7 days! RECORD!

Options
Hi, my name is Marci and I'm a fast food addict. Things that I'm trying to change for the new year/new me included cutting down on my fast good intake. I typically, between home and job, eat meals from outside the home at least 14 times a week including all 3 meal times. I must say that I don't count salad from away from home fast food. I'm talking burgers, fries, chicken sandwiches, etc. You know, anything wrapped in a written on wrapper or shoved into a card board box.

This week I've bought a slow cooker, actually shopped for food food and have actually cooked all meals and taken my lunch to work. I've never, and I mean NEVER, done this before. AND it actually wasn't that hard at all. I'm quite proud of myself.

If I can do this, anyone can! My weigh in is tomorrow....I'm predicting 3 lbs. of loss....cannot wait to see how well I've done.

Good luck to one and all on this site. I'm pulling for you!

Marci

Replies

• mjsnee
    mjsnee Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, my name is Marci and I'm a fast food addict. Things that I'm trying to change for the new year/new me included cutting down on my fast good intake. I typically, between home and job, eat meals from outside the home at least 14 times a week including all 3 meal times. I must say that I don't count salad from away from home fast food. I'm talking burgers, fries, chicken sandwiches, etc. You know, anything wrapped in a written on wrapper or shoved into a card board box.

This week I've bought a slow cooker, actually shopped for food food and have actually cooked all meals and taken my lunch to work. I've never, and I mean NEVER, done this before. AND it actually wasn't that hard at all. I'm quite proud of myself.

If I can do this, anyone can! My weigh in is tomorrow....I'm predicting 3 lbs. of loss....cannot wait to see how well I've done.

Marci
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    That is a great step! There are some great healthy recipes out there. Its fun to try them all! Keep it up!!

:flowerforyou:
  • BadPoppi
    Options
    marci,

also think of the money you are saving

steve
  • mjsnee
    Options
    Thanks for the support DjBliss05! I guess most people on here are lurkers...so far 46 people have read this point and yet you're the only one who took the time out to congratulate me! Thanks for that.

Even if no one else cares to post, I'm still proud of myself. It's nice of you to show your support and I really do appreciate it! More than you can know. I'm in this by myself and need encouragement, thanks for that!

Marci
  • mjsnee
    Options
    Thanks Steve! I'm sure the money saving will start soon. I had no staples stocked in my cupboards so I had to buy the food PLUS all the seasonings and cookware and such. That was a pretty hefty bill to get all that done, but now as i stock up on things, it'll get more economical, I'm sure of it. I just hope good prices don't continue to go up.

Thanks for your support!

Marci
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    That is a hard habit to break good for you!!!! If you need recipes for your crock pot look online there are a ton and I have several cookbooks so if you are looking for anything in particular just ask me. I have a great recipe for crock pot chicken that you can use for several different meals just let me know if you'd like it.
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • mjsnee
    Options
    Thanks Amy! I would love that chicken recipe! I made roasted chicken tonight and it was great. My 3 children think some alien came down and snatched their mother! I've been quite a bad influence on their eating for their entire little lives, however, right now they are all blessed w/great metabolism and they are all thin. It's time to break the cycle! They've all agreed that my cooking beats McDonald's, Wendy's and Dairy Queen any day! Rachel Ray better watch it!

Marci
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It really is great!! And the more you pass by the easier it gets. I broke My addiction with Wendy's -Pizza Hut MWF and burger king -outback T TH S!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    good fpr you! i have only gone 3 days but it has been easy for me as well. i have been eating fast food for almost every meal for the last 2.5 years. i am completly sick of it and it has made me gain weight duh :cry:
    but i decided to change things. tonight i made THE BEST dinner. i didnt follow a recipe either. i am proud of my self and proud of you too!! :happy:
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great job mjsnee! It only gets easier!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Marci
    Way to Make Changes Marci!:flowerforyou: I'm sorry I didn't even see your thread or I most definitely would have jumped in on it if I had...quitting fast food is a HUGE accomplishment. :drinker: :heart: :drinker: I'm so proud of you!!:bigsmile:

Crockpots are so awesome, they help time wise, great recipes out there and wow, you get home or done for the day with the kids and poof, pretty much on the table.:drinker:

Here's to you and your very healthy decision to begin cooking at home and taking your lunch each day:drinker: :bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    congratz! thats awesome. I know what its like to eat nothing but fast food. I bet you feel better already :]

best of luck to you!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    That is a hard habit to break good for you!!!! If you need recipes for your crock pot look online there are a ton and I have several cookbooks so if you are looking for anything in particular just ask me. I have a great recipe for crock pot chicken that you can use for several different meals just let me know if you'd like it.
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
    oh post em girl, post em!! Lots of folks always asking about Crockpot recipes on MFP! :) Just add them to the recipe section under Community:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • onmyway2beingme
    Options
    Hi, Marci! I'm Marti, and I am an extreme fast food addict myself. It's nothing for me to eat that much fast food in a week too. Sometimes, I can just be going out to Wal-Mart or something, and just because I'll pass a fast food joint, the little voice starts in my head about needing french fries or a cheeseburger. You are an inspiration to all of us that aspire to kick this terrible habit. I've gone two days so far, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Also, on the money issue, there are several great coupon sites you can check out for printable coupons that will help save money. They are coupons.com and couponbug.com. Also, check your Sunday paper for some great ones too! Keep up the good work!

60994.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • mjsnee
    Options
    I'm on day 11 and still no burgers and fries! I'm so jones'n for McDonald's today....yet....not as bad as I thought I would. This is beatable. I bought Cooking Light magazine and a couple others yesterday at the local grocery store for some good recipes. I can do this. We all can do this.

Can you believe that my children, ages 13, 11 and 7 have not ONCE asked for a drive thru dinner. I'm proud of them, too.

Wouldn't it be great to put these places out of business. I know that will never happen....but one can only dream of place where we all learn to cook to feed ourselves.

Good luck to you all and I'm still watchin!

Marci
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    If you're tempted to try the fast food again, watch this on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI
  • mjsnee
    Options
    I watched the video on YouTube the other day. To be sure, fast food lasting that long is gross. That said, the amount of preservatives put into most of our foods these days, fast or not, does the same thing. It's not just the fast food industry that uses these super chemicals.

When I was young, a loaf of bread lasted maybe 1.5 days before growing mold. Shorter depending on what part of the country you lived in. These days a loaf of bread lasts a week without even refrigerating or freezing it.

Yes the video was poignant. However, it doesn't make me want fast food less. Preservatives are everywhere.

Thanks for the cool show, though.

Marci
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    keep up the good work!
    how many days has it been?
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Fast food is just so easy to get and it tastes good unfortunately! :grumble:

I have tried to give up the fast food too - doing pretty good at it. (and soda too - I can't believe it!!) It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. Something that really helped me? I got a printed sheet from McDonalds that gave all their foods and all nutritional values for everything on there. It about made me PUKE to see that! :sick: I could NOT believe what I used to eat several times a week! That helped me not want to eat that small french fry for like 12 grams of fat alone!

Tonight, for dinner, I threw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with some chicken stock and seasonings. Later I will shred it and add it to the Zatarains Red Beans and Rice boxed mix and it is delicious. (I used to eat this quite a bit when I WASN'T on a diet - it was THAT good!!) It's low in fat and low in calories. (but watch for the sodium - it's sky high!! And quite a few carbs, but hey we can't always have meals that are low-fat, low-calorie, low-sodium, low-carb, low-sugar ALL the time right??) :happy:

38910.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Fast food is just so easy to get and it tastes good unfortunately! :grumble:

I have tried to give up the fast food too - doing pretty good at it. (and soda too - I can't believe it!!) It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. Something that really helped me? I got a printed sheet from McDonalds that gave all their foods and all nutritional values for everything on there. It about made me PUKE to see that! :sick: I could NOT believe what I used to eat several times a week! That helped me not want to eat that small french fry for like 12 grams of fat alone!

Tonight, for dinner, I threw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with some chicken stock and seasonings. Later I will shred it and add it to the Zatarains Red Beans and Rice boxed mix and it is delicious. (I used to eat this quite a bit when I WASN'T on a diet - it was THAT good!!) It's low in fat and low in calories. (but watch for the sodium - it's sky high!! And quite a few carbs, but hey we can't always have meals that are low-fat, low-calorie, low-sodium, low-carb, low-sugar ALL the time right??) :happy:

38910.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Great! I'm going to try this! Thanks for the post.