Have you ever tripped and fallen when running? Embarrassing

Options
Last summer we were at the beach and I was running the boardwalk....sometimes the boards can be uneven but I wasnt thinking of that....just enjoying the smell of the salt air and the view of the beautiful ocean with the wind flying through my hair and splat..........i trip right in front of all the runners and walkers on the early morning boardwalk.......I have never jumped up so fast in my life...didnt even look around just kept on running.....wanted to die of embarrassment:0) But then I realized hey I dont know anybody here and will never see them again....so that did help my hurt pride....LOL

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep when I was running hurdles in a track meet on a pavement track....not a pretty site especially in front of both schools *sigh*
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen completely, but definitely had a good stumble... luckily no one was around, only people that may have seen are if people were watching out their windows :)

The good thing is u got up and kept running :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I fell during Warrior Dash, but I think that's expected. I've tripped and stumbled sometimes while running on normal terrain, but luckily stayed upright. I'd much rather fall in the woods than on concrete!

During a normal 5k, my brother fell and lost a shoe in the mud, had to go back to get it, and went on to finish with a personal record!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ouch!

can't say I personally have fallen over in public like that but then that's possibly because I don't have the guts to go out and run in public lol although I have fallen off the treadmill before and off the X-trainer - how I managed that I don't know!!!!
    but like you said I didn't know anyone at the gym so it was just a bit of a red face moment and then carry on :)
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh ya while running, walkng & biking! Outside & on treadmills!
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    Oh yeah! its happened to me....Im new to this town but this is where my new hubby is from...Its a small country and nosey town, not very many people excersicing around town....so people know who's wife I am because Im the only one out there running.....
    Anywho, I was coming to the end of my 5 miles and the sidewalks are all broken up so I usually run on the street but I hopped back on the side walk due to traffice....WELL.....the Bus stop was packed with looky loo's waiting for the bus..and Im thinking in my head....yeah I knowyour watching me...Yeah Im so and so's wife from out of state....Yeah Im.....SPLAT!!! Feel and skidded forward took the skin clean off my palms....jumped up quickly shook my head and kept running.....Got to the house ran up stairs and acted like a big baby my hand was dripping blood (hubby mended me up and gently warned honey youve got to be more careful)....humiliated and humbled from my arrogance I went to take my shower thats when I realized I was also missing a big chunk of me from my knee....ouch!!!
    I lost 3 lbs that week but I think that was because I left some skin on the side walk.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Worse than embarrassing, I seriously injured myself! While training for last year's London Marathon, I ran through all the snow and ice, gingerly stepping over icy spots, and adding miles to my route to keep going. After the thaw, I thought I could run with abandon. What I didn't realise that the frost had opened up giant potholes in the road and pavement!

Just two miles from home on one of my longer training runs - a 16 miler I think it was - I was keeping my eyes on the prize - but not the pavement. I stuck my foot down a sunken water inspection point and flew forward. I landed on both forearms, belly and legs. After I got my breath back, I got up and found I was bleeding. A lot. From my forearms, shins, knees and the heels of my hands.

Someone rushed out from a nearby house with a first aid kit, bless them, and I used the antiseptic wipes to clean up the worst of it.. As I walked home, my shoulder started stiffening up. Turned out I'd ripped the ligaments in it.

I started a new job the next day and couldn't even lift my hand from my side to shake hands or open a door. I had to use my left hand to move it from the keyboard to the mouse and back! I couldn't move it properly for a year afterwards and still have some of the scars from the "road rash".

I had to finish my training wearing a sling and missed out on the two longest runs. Needless to say I didn't get round the marathon in the time I'd hoped for - in fact it was 7 hours 10, worse than I could have walked it in!

The moral of this story is, as they used to say on Hill Street Blues, let's be careful out there.
  • kshaw09
    kshaw09 Posts: 48
    Options
    Yep I have, the first time I was actaully going to try to run outside, took my dog with me (bad idea from the start) she crossed over infront of me and down I went with her. Got up quicker then I every thought was possible and went right back home, no serious injuries just a skinned leg and some bruising.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Here's my story...

I was at a local park, jogging on the path that circles a soccer field. Two guys were kicking a soccer ball around and it rolled near the path. I thought I would be polite and kick the ball to them. What I didn't realize (I had my headphones on) was a little girl (maybe 10 years old) was riding her bike, and she was going to pass me on the grass. As I drifted off the path to kick the soccer ball to the guys, we literally collided! She and her bike fell down, and I landed on top of her! I felt so bad! We quickly got up and I tried to assess the damage. I asked her if she was o.k., she said, "yes." I think she wanted to disappear as much as I did. :embarassed: Fortunately, we went down on grass, so there were no scrapes. She hopped on her bike and rode away, while I'm saying, "Are you sure you're o.k.?" Meanwhile, the two guys are standing there, not doing anything. I kicked the @#$% ball to them and started back on the path. :angry: :grumble: Then the pain in my ankle started to kick in. :frown: No major damage, just a bruise on my ankle and hip. I continued my run like I had planned. The next lap, when I came around the soccer field, their ball rolled near the path again. I thought to myself, "You can get your own @#$%^& ball!!" :grumble:

I can laugh about it now, but it was no fun at the time. I still have a little lump on my ankle. :ohwell: But I have gotten much better at glancing over my shoulder before I change direction when I'm jogging. Need to check my blind spots!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    When I was finally able to go further than a 5k distance back in late November/early December, I was running along a street I hadn't been on before, changing up my route. I wasn't paying attention, and tripped on a piece of uprooted sidewalk, and scraped up both my knees and one of my hands. I finally got up and was walking back toward home (I was about 1-2 miles away from home), stopped at a gas station bathroom to clean up.

I started to feel a bit better, so I tried to work back up to a run again. 1-2 minutes into it I FELL AGAIN! So yeah, I've been afraid to run around that area for a while now because of the bad quality of the sidewalks, but one thing's for sure. I definitely watch where I'm going now.

2gyc8qp.jpg
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    Yes, but luckily nothing that's hurt more than my ego haha.

@ BerryH - I really feel for you, that's awful.

I tend to be a windmiller. I lack balance...partly due to knee problems and partly i'm just a klutz haha. So i can trip just walking and wobble around for a while before catching my balance, keeping my eyes firmly on the floor (mostly so i don't have to look at other people)

When i was younger i was on holiday with my parents and slipped by the pool. OMG i jumped up immediately, brushed off anyone trying to help with "I'm fine" and went to our poolside appartment. Once safe, i abruptly burst into tears, lol. Not the pain...the embarrassment! I was pretty surprised at the damage i'd done actually, but i was so humiliated i didn't even feel the pain.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I haven't fallen yet but I always worry about it. I'm not even worried getting scraped up... I'm more worried about if people would SEE me fall!! I'm sure it will happen soon.
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    A woman at the gym stepped wrong on the treadmill, flew off the back and hit the mirrors behind her.

The poor love, i think the pain and shock overwhelmed her embarrassment.

Luckily everyone around her, were really decent people and jumped off to help straight away, as well as the gym instructors.

She was ok.

I also have a friend that tripped during an aerobics class and embarrassed the hell out of herself. Hopped up, brushed herself off and went home to lick her wounds. It still hurt the next day so she went to A&E and it turned out she'd broken her ankle :noway:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I's bound to happen at some point to anyone who is pounding the pavement....or in my case trails. I've gone down multiple times because of tree roots and loose rocks. I've been lucky enough to have only ended up with scrapes and bruises and nothing serious yet. Which is good...because I'm almost always by myself on the trails, lol.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    A woman at the gym stepped wrong on the treadmill, flew off the back and hit the mirrors behind her.

The poor love, i think the pain and shock overwhelmed her embarrassment.

Luckily everyone around her, were really decent people and jumped off to help straight away, as well as the gym instructors.

OMG, that POOR woman!!! So glad people were quick to help her... and that she wasn't hurt!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I HS I caught a spike and did a header into the second to last hurdle, on a cinder track,,,,,, can you say road rash?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I trip over my dog once in a while, he's normally very good on runs until he sees another dog and sometimes cuts in front of me. I usually just laugh it off and I have mastered the tuck and roll technique.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Only once! What's funny is that when I run it's so early I rarely see other runners. Except this one day. I have always kept my iPod in a case, but heck I never drop the thing so I took it off. I'm running and hopping up to a different part of the sidewalk and see another runner (again, extremely rare!). My foot hits something and I go flying! My iPod comes out of my pockets and whacks the concrete. I was perfectly fine. It was just embarrassing. Plus I chipped the edge of the glass on the iPod. A few weeks later I dropped it in a full urinal and killed it (ewwww!) and had to get a new one. I have kept the case on it. By the way, Square Trade warranties rock. That's how I got the iPod replacement. :)
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I trip over my dog once in a while, he's normally very good on runs until he sees another dog and sometimes cuts in front of me. I usually just laugh it off and I have mastered the tuck and roll technique.

LOL!!! I have also mastered that technique...however, its much more difficult in show shoes and cross country skiis!

I am gauranteed to fall off a treadmill. I don't know what it is, but I am running along at a nice pace and then BAM! I stepped off to the side, moved forward right into the front, and before I know it I have fallen off the back! This has happened more times than I know which is why I always try to run outside!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about breaking my collar bone again than wounding my pride.