Is two weeks too soon?

Options
Hey folks,

So I bought my food scale, I've been exercising and haven't gone over my calorie goal, and I've been pretty strict for two weeks. I haven't lost any weight, and I know that two weeks is really soon, but at what point should I change my calorie limit if I don't see any results?

I'm about 161, 5'7. Lightly active as I'm a teacher. 1570 cals a day. Eat back 50% of energy calories.

Thank you so much!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's rough, but you have to have patience. Give any change 4-6 weeks before assuming it's not working.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's too soon. If you recently began exercising, you're likely holding on to a bit of water to repair your muscles. Give it a few more weeks as auddii said, and if you haven't lost in that time, then it's time to reevaluate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, too soon.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Seconding @auddii here.

4-6 weeks, even up to 8, and use that food scale as much as possible.

I would also recommend doing your best to keep water and sodium intake consistent. You don't need to force down 3L daily if that's not your thing, but consistent amounts of fluids and sodium will help keep some water weight fluctuations at bay.

~Lyssa
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It might be worth giving a couple of weeks but there are a couple of things you can check as well with regard to the accuracy of the database entries you are using. Barcode scanning is a big one, that often takes you to inaccurate member entries, also check the nutritional data you see in the MFP entry against package information, again because it is often wrong. It can make a big difference
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    Start using a trending weight app (**see below for examples) and weighing yourself daily, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking.

You have a weight level, not a static weight. Your water weight changes faster than your fat level. Things such as hormones (think time of the month), exercise related water retention (think sore muscles and muscle repair), and sodium can all generate weight swings in the 5+lbs even range. Your whole monthly weight loss at 1lb a month might be 4lbs, so it is easy to lose the information with only a few data points.

Your activity level choice, implied 500Cal a day deficit choice, and eat back of exercise calories all seem eminently reasonable choices and I strongly strongly urge you not to cave in and change them as of yet.

Make sure you weigh your food and pick the correct database choices (raw weight for raw food, cooked option for cooked food, green check mark verified entries, entries double checked through the USDA database, or nutritiondata.self.com, your own entries if you have to.

**Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iPhone, www.trendweight.com, or www.weightgrapher.com on the web.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Might be soon. Weight fluctuates strangely- I can lose consistently and then not lose for 2-4 weeks, then suddenly be down 2-3 lbs on the 5th week.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it took about three weeks for it to show on the scale, then there was about a four-pound drop. So things are probably happening, but your body is keeping it a secret for now. Patience is your friend. Good luck.