How many days ahead do you meal prep?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how far out I can meal prep. The most I've done is 5 days.

Replies

• pamsolomon
    pamsolomon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've always planned my meals a week before cause I cook every night & especially eating healthier this helps, I try to keep it the meals different so I don't get bored
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    One or two days, depending. I never know what I'll feel like.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I prelog the next day and prepare my lunches depending on the size of the recipe. This week's recipe was divided into ten servings.

My next recipe will only be five servings.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I prep a months worth of dinners and freeze them. Saves tons of time! If I had a bigger freezer, I'd probably try for even longer and or do lunches as well.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make a weeks worth of lunches and prelog the rest of my meals but cook them freshly on the day
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I pre-make my breakfasts, lunches, dinners & snacks for the week on Sundays. I label everything with the brand and weight/servings so I can log accurately each day. I don't pre-log or pre-plan what I'm going to eat each day, I just make enough food and grab a meal out of the fridge or freezer. I make a list of 15 meals & 15 snacks and cross it off as I eat it so I know what I have left. This is working really well for me and keeping me out of the drive-thru.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've got my meals planned a month out. But for actual prepping, it depends on what I'm cooking. I generally prep several days of snacks out so we can grab them whenever we want (and our calories allow) and I can grab when I organize lunches for the workweek.
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    About 3 days ahead based on using up fresh produce in the order it will still be good. I hate food wastage!
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually prep for the whole week. I make two different meals to alternate as lunches and dinners depending on which one I feel like.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1 week if I'm home cooking for my family, 2 weeks if I'm at my university cuz I eat a lot of leftovers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1 day, usually none. I like freshly prepared food, but I guess I'd eat 3 days old leftovers.
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I prep 6 days worth of lunch and dinner on Sundays. It gets boring but I find it's more convenient than having to cook every other night which I used to do.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    2-3 days at most. Otherwise the food are not fresh anymore, or worse become bad. Not sure how people here can prepare months ahead..
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Two weeks . Freeze a lot.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    2-3 days at most. Otherwise the food are not fresh anymore, or worse become bad. Not sure how people here can prepare months ahead..
    Well, I don't prepare my food for the month, but I've had a cooked lunch in the freezer for over a month. I've never had any issue with it.

I also cook beans, lentils, 6 hard boiled eggs, and some kind of grain once a week. I only keep three days worth of beans and grains out of the freezer. I've had lentils go bad by four days. :s

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I cook, bag and freeze my meals. I separate my meal components - a bag each for meat, veg, carb of choice etc.

It means I only have to prep whatever I'm low on and I can mix and match my choices. I haven't noticed any drop in quality of food and it's so easy for me.