Squats make my butt smaller!

Options
Hi my name is Alexis! I'm excited to join this community and to finally get fit! I'm transitioning from a sedentary lifestyle to a more active one- and I know it will be a long journey but it will be worth it!

So I do have a question though, has anyone had the issue of LOSING THEIR BUTT FROM SQUATS?

I used to have a sizable , plump butt but no muscle and started doing squats to make it bigger. I also run - and I've noticed its getting smaller??

I want it to either return to its old squishiness w/o having to stop exercising or to increase in volume.

I've heard that I should try eating more fatty foods to gain more fat in my butt again but how can I balance that out and stay trim everywhere else?

If anyone has conquered this problem please let me know because it's a serious issue for me.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    just as you can not spot reduce fat... you can not spot... add fat.

well you can, but it involves a plastic surgeon.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I lost fat in my butt. I do squats. Personally, I'm pretty happy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a deficit, expect to lose fat from all over your body.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing body weight squats? Because the muscle grows in size with progressive weight lifting and calorie surplus. So if you're not adding additional weight, it might be time to do so.

Eating fat won't do a thing about the appearance though. Just like you can't spot reduce in losing weight, you can dictate where the weight goes, nor does eating fat have anything to do with it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Have you two threads on same topic ...sure I just answered this
  • skwytt
    skwytt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You lost fat in that area.. keep squatting and soon enough your glutes will grow.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You lost fat in general because you were in a deficit, not because you were doing squats. Trust me...I'm in a surplus and doing squats and that thing is not getting smaller. If you want to gain it back, eat more and squat (but really include more glute isolation work). You will gain fat in other places as well though. You can spot add fat. You'll be gaining muscle as well if you're lifting heavy though.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Squats will grow/strengthen your glutes.

Eating at a deficit will cause you to lose fat (from everywhere including there).

In other words, your diet made your behind smaller. Not the squats.