To Lift or Not To Lift?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosema1268
    rosema1268 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lifting is my favorite right now I'll take it any day over cardio.. Superset, or not love it.. I love danc e type cardio too but the rest boring. I do it for transforming my body, fat loss, muscle gains as you get older you lose muscle trying to stay young and fit
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Weight loss makes you look good in clothes. Weight lifting makes you look good without them!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love lifting for the complete buzz I get from it. The way I can push myself and set challenges and meet them. I love the strength I get from lifting, knowing what I've done to get here, and knowing this is just the beginning.
    Even when I have a crap day in the weight room I know I've achieved more than what I could do even 6 weeks ago.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love lifting for the complete buzz I get from it. The way I can push myself and set challenges and meet them. I love the strength I get from lifting, knowing what I've done to get here, and knowing this is just the beginning.
    Even when I have a crap day in the weight room I know I've achieved more than what I could do even 6 weeks ago.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lift if you want to and it gets you towards your goals. Don't if you don't and it doesn't.

Simple.

Strength IS important in a well balanced approach towards general health and fitness, but that doesn't necessarily have to be gained using a barbell. Those of us who are into the iron game and are obsessed with it would do well to reflect that a well put together general calisthenics program would be sufficient to help 90% of the population stay healthy and happy.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! At 52, I have friends that say I am crazy for lifting. I love my weights days!!!
    Thanks all for posting!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To lift!
    I lift because I love seeing how much stronger I get, and because if I don't lift I have the upper body strength of a 5 year old.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I lift, because I can't comprehend any goal (including just living life to the fullest) where being stronger wouldn't help.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    @arditarose Body and Soul. YES!

And here's to pouring milk from a carton and opening my own doors to the gym at 99!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    HOW do you lift properly? I'm confused and keep trying to learn..
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    HOW do you lift properly? I'm confused and keep trying to learn..

Practice, practice, practice.

I learned a lot from the forums and YouTube. You can try googling a particular exercise "how to" as well. I suggest downloading the StrongLifts 5x5 app. This app can help you develop in the five main compound lifts--Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Row and Deadlift. If the Olympic bar is too heavy, you can begin with dumb bells. <--Form first.

I also bought these books--> Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

You can film yourself and post your video on the forum for a critique or hire a personal trainer to help get you in sync.

There are lots of cues that you can learn to help your lift like "push through the heels" and "squeeze the glutes".
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Lift if you want to and it gets you towards your goals. Don't if you don't and it doesn't.

Simple.

Strength IS important in a well balanced approach towards general health and fitness, but that doesn't necessarily have to be gained using a barbell. Those of us who are into the iron game and are obsessed with it would do well to reflect that a well put together general calisthenics program would be sufficient to help 90% of the population stay healthy and happy.

As someone who rotates both lifting and bodyweight depending on what sounds more interesting each year, amen :) I have found very few people who accept that the "other" way of training is also efficient.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes your body look good, that's why I lift
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've always been a typical pear shape. Cardio got me fit but I became scrawny up top yet remained heavy below... Making me look very out of proportion, and at my lightest I looked a little odd....

With lifting, my top half has filled out a little and my bottom half is firmer. I look far more in proportion, and although over 2 stone heavier than I was at my "fittest", I look slimmer than I did before because there is not that screaming difference in shirt and skirt sizes!

I'm not quite "hourglass".... Yet.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I lift to help keep my strength and muscle density up as I get older and help control my blood sugars. They stay much lower when I include lifting 3 days a week in my normal routine.
  • bbassard
    bbassard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lift.

Mobility, Endurance and health.

And of course I love how it transforms your body.

I do a mixture of mma, weightlifting, backpacking, rock climbing and also want to incorporate rock climbing and light gymnastics. I just want to be the best possible human I can be for the longest amount of time.

@JBassard such a cool thread.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lifting rocks! I have really been concentrating on it for around 6 months now rather than cardio and I'm really seeing noticeable and positive changes...plus I love feeling strong :smile:

and I'm doing it so my bones/muscles are healthy/strong which will stand me in good stead for getting older.