What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    first 6 weeks you are only burning sugar. It takes about 6 weeks to start loosing fat.

I've never seen this information presented in any scientific setting. Do you have sources to back this up?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    2. Could be 6 weeks to stop burning sugar and start burning fat!
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm.
    5. Eating fat does not make insulin.
    FAT:
    Avocado. Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring.

AVOID!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad. Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Stahp.

Disregard all of this.

Cosigned. All woo, not supported by evidence-based research.

Not supported by evidence-based research.... unless you of course consider The Art and Science of Low Carb.

But as long as you guys say it's BS, it's probably BS.

Also no surprise that the top of the page has a big "buy our books now" advert
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    if you're eating back your exercise calories from walking, stop for awhile. Even fitbit tends to overestimate calories burned from exercise. You're probably eating more than you thought from that. It could also be water weight, or you arent logging some things/ log some things incorrectly.

This

Hang in there. You'll lose weight. Stick with counting and give it time.

• JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    You have to win the award for the amount of random posts you can fit your pro keto approach into today

Sooooo...... what you're saying is I get an award and you'll start doing Keto?

Sounds like the ultimate win-win-win!
  • bondybird007
    bondybird007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you're eating back your exercise calories from walking, stop for awhile. Even fitbit tends to overestimate calories burned from exercise. You're probably eating more than you thought from that. It could also be water weight, or you arent logging some things/ log some things incorrectly.

I'm trying not to eat them back, as it doesn't really feel like proper exercise until heart rate gets into fat burning zone, and the dog is running to keep up!, but I will go back over the diary entries and see if first week loss was better due to sticking closer to the 1200. At least I'd have an answer then.

• ChrisM8971
    Options
    You have to win the award for the amount of random posts you can fit your pro keto approach into today

Sooooo...... what you're saying is I get an award and you'll start doing Keto?

Sounds like the ultimate win-win-win!

No what it means is your posts are starting to make you look like zealot that believes that they have found the one true way that everyone else must follow or they are doomed to eternal damnation. Start reasoning your arguments and perhaps people will listen to you and have a discussion

In the meantime I will continue with my personal preference of a Mediterranean style diet, fairly carb heavy but with many many years of research behind its health benefits until the evidence convinces me otherwise :)
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are only 8 weeks after pretty major change for your body, your hormones are still adjusting. Keep that in mind and be gentle with yourself! I might have missed if you are breastfeeding, but if you are, you should eat for that-not for weight loss. Also, 1200 is quite low number IMO.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sugar stole my job AND my wife! If only I had listened :(

Seriously though, sugar is delicious.
  • bondybird007
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    You are only 8 weeks after pretty major change for your body, your hormones are still adjusting. Keep that in mind and be gentle with yourself! I might have missed if you are breastfeeding, but if you are, you should eat for that-not for weight loss. Also, 1200 is quite low number IMO.

Not breastfeeding anymore as I was back to work 5 weeks after. 1200 is MFP suggestion for 2lb a week loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    FAT:

AVOID!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad. Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Stahp.

Disregard all of this.

Cosigned. All woo, not supported by evidence-based research.

Not supported by evidence-based research.... unless you of course consider The Art and Science of Low Carb.

But as long as you guys say it's BS, it's probably BS.

Also no surprise that the top of the page has a big "buy our books now" advert

I won't even bother to click the link. I've done my research on keto. Did keto for a while. Know what it's about and understand the evidence-based (note the emphasis) science behind it. It's a valid way of eating for those who are into it, but there's nothing magical about it over any other way of eating.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

Not breastfeeding anymore as I was back to work 5 weeks after. 1200 is MFP suggestion for 2lb a week loss.

Are you willing to open up your diary to scrutiny for others to offer advice on anything you may have missed? Also how much do you have to lose because 2 lb per week is a pretty aggressive goal?
  • smis92103
    Options

Right, makes sense. Most likely you are not doing anything wrong. I had 2 sections and they do make major impact on your body. You might be still retaining water too. I am not a doctor but I think you might want to consider up your calories for little longer. Even if MFP suggested 1200, I would never go bellow 1500-no way ( I am 5"9"). I think it is also about WHAT you eat-not just the calories. I see a lot of people getting attached to the number alone but the macro split and the specific food sources will make a great impact on your body composition.

I hope this helps. Most importantly-dont beat yourself up!

• bondybird007
    Options

Right, makes sense. Most likely you are not doing anything wrong. I had 2 sections and they do make major impact on your body. You might be still retaining water too. I am not a doctor but I think you might want to consider up your calories for little longer. Even if MFP suggested 1200, I would never go bellow 1500-no way ( I am 5"9"). I think it is also about WHAT you eat-not just the calories. I see a lot of people getting attached to the number alone but the macro split and the specific food sources will make a great impact on your body composition.

I hope this helps. Most importantly-dont beat yourself up!

[/quote]

Thanks. This is my second section too. I am only 5"1" and need to loose a stone and a half to get back to healthy weight. I think it's best to leave it at least another 4 weeks until I go back to my usual form of exercise, insanity workouts. I'll take all advice on board and try to give it a few more weeks to try to get things right. At the moment looking back through my diary entries my intake is within 100 over of 1200 goal thinking I'm using the exercise increase of calories. This week I have been trying to get to grips with the macros a bit more. I have fruit smoothie for breakfast each day (just home blended fruit) and slowly trying to swap it for a green one.... Hopefully that might help. Thank you
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First of, welcome to MFP and congratulations on your little bundle of joy!
    As long as you are eating balanced diet, watch over your calories and do some exercise you will start losing weight. It may stop sometimes, but will pick up later as long as you keep up with your plan.
    Also if you are doing weights as well you will be building more muscles, but burning fat, so your scale will not move but your body will be getting toned.
    Sometimes scale is not the best measure of progress. Try checking it by how your clothes fit.
    Don't give up! Good luck :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    First of, welcome to MFP and congratulations on your little bundle of joy!
    As long as you are eating balanced diet, watch over your calories and do some exercise you will start losing weight. It may stop sometimes, but will pick up later as long as you keep up with your plan.
    Also if you are doing weights as well you will be building more muscles, but burning fat, so your scale will not move but your body will be getting toned.
    Sometimes scale is not the best measure of progress. Try checking it by how your clothes fit.
    Don't give up! Good luck :)

She won't be building muscle on 1200 calories, or in any sort of deficit for the most part.

OP, with that little to lose, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a goal. Set your goal to .5-1 pound per week, log everything as accurately as possible, be patient, and take good care of both your little one and yourself.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is early to get a real view of what's going on in normal situations. Add on post-pregnancy changing hormones and a major operation, and you might have weight fluctuations much longer than 3 weeks. But don't worry --the deficit is still working if it's working! It's just being masked by other things for now. You'll see the weight drop off later, then :) That's assuming accuracy, of course, but I feel like people know whether they are really accurate or not if they already weigh food.

I think 1200 is too low, too, but you can always bump it up if you feel it's causing any problems.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lots of fluid shifts in the post-partum period. Don't get discouraged. If you eat sensibly and gradually increase your activity, you'll get there...Stay the course!!!!
  • smis92103
    Options
    Loving the posts above, great advice! It is so nice to see.
  • akmomdog
    akmomdog Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There is a very simple answer. Eat less, move more. Do try to make what you eat nutritious, but if you are excercising, I promise you half a candy bar. or an occasional twinkie or fruit at midnight is NOT going to mess up your weight loss. In fact it will help you to stay on track when you don't have a set of do this, don't do that that is so complicated that you don't want to do it. Eat less. Make it good food. Move more. Low impact aerobics, walking outside. Riding a bicycle. Swimming. You don't have to do hundreds of hours a week. Just start from where you are and work towards sensible better. And be patient! You will not get thin and fit overnight and sometimes, you will even have a higher number on the scales occasionally. Look for the long haul trend downward. And understand that you will have to consider this a new lifestyle-NOT a diet. You can do the same things to stay fit and leaner for the rest of your life. But it's like the old question: How do you eat an elephant-one bite at a time. After you have been eating healthy food and learned ways to prepare it so it tastes good too-the old junk and crap and garbage will not be very appealing anymore except in small occasional amounts. Best of luck to you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options

3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    FAT:

AVOID!

Yeah no. Another keto advertisement that disregards some basic facts on physiology and over exaggerates how the endocrine system works in conjunction with physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png