I started exercising and then swelled up and gained weight.

Options
Hi, I started exercising 2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 3 pounds, but now at the end of the 2nd week, Ive gained it back plus another 2! I feel like I'm bloated! Is this normal?

I'm exercising for 90-120 Minutes every other day, and I have not missed a day. Im doing 2 miles on the stationary bike, 1-2 miles at a fast walk on the treadmill, then strength training at Planet Fitness. I go down the line of all the machines. Usually 12-15 of them total. They vary from Rowing to Ab Crunches to leg presses.

I am drinking more water, which is not normal for me. I knew I would lose some water weight, but I didn't expect to gain it back and then some!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KymBerlyBarrera
    KymBerlyBarrera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you Niner! I was worried It was something I was doing wrong. If you happen to see this, does it sound like I'm working out enough to start building up endurance and losing weight?
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Completely normal when you first start working out. When you strength train, you put stress on your muscles creating tiny tears. To repair itself, the muscle will take in extra fluid (which is why muscles look fuller and more 'pumped' when they have been worked). So if you haven't been overestimating your workout calories, it's just water retention.
  • KymBerlyBarrera
    KymBerlyBarrera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My calories have been pretty stable for years. I have just been extremely sedentary for the last 5 years, because of a Injury to the tail end of my spinal cord. I was 40lbs overweight to start off with, and not being able to move well got me another 110lbs. I cut back on calories and started eating healthier and lost 25lbs and stabilized. And now its time to lose this weight and get back in fighting shape.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    The exercise is good for you but to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you use. CICO.

Enter your stats in MFP, put your goal to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week. 1.5 would be best if you now have less than 100 lbs to lose.

Eat the calories MFP gives you PLUS 50-75% of the calories from exercise.

If you don't have one use a digital food scale (liquid measuring cups and spoons too) for calorie accuracy.

Keep working out the water retention will sort itself out.

Cheers, h.