I'm Sick of Starting Over Every Time

Options
I have gone from being in the best shape of my life to possible the worst shape of my life in only a few months. I cry once everyday and usually more, and I have no explanation. I have struggled with something that I can't call an eating disorder but I don't know what else to call it? I eat in secret and I eat too much throughout the day. Often I will binge when we have a cake or baked good in the house for no apparent reason. I have actually caught myself and spit whatever is in my mouth into the trash. While at school I found myself getting more distant from my peers and I made myself throw up a few times. I am a dance major so it isn't like no one notices an increase in your weight. I was eating well and then I let things slide towards the end of first semester. At this point I don't know what to do? Right now I am dealing with some really painful stomach problems (possibly allergies) and my second round of mono this year. I just need to know it gets better. I hate my body and I want to love it. I wonder sometimes if a vegan lifestyle or even a gluten free one would just force me to find healthier foods and would stop me from making poor choices? I don't really know what advice I'm asking for?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.
    See your therapist.

Red flags I see:
    random crying, for which you can't find a reason
    eating in secret
    bingeing
    eating mindlessly (catching yourself, spitting it out)
    throwing up on purpose
    dance major (often the unrealistic & unhealthy demands from instructors lead to health problems)
    "I hate my body"

And no, trying on an extremely restrictive "lifestyle" is not going to help.
    In fact, that's likely to make issues worse.
    Yes, try to lean more toward healthy foods & not so much unhealthy ones (80/20), but don't make
    anything off-limits, or you're giving it power over you.

The only way I can stop myself from eating unhealthy things is to not have them available.
    I find it much easier to say no to cookies in the store than if they're sitting in the kitchen. (If I want one,
    I'll stop in the bulk / bakery section & get it. But then I can only have that, not the whole package.)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

MyFitnessPal believes food should nourish and be enjoyed, however we acknowledge that relationships with food are not always so simple.

Eating behaviors are shaped by a number of factors, including biological, behavioral, emotional, psychological, interpersonal, and social influences that can have powerful effects on how we think about and connect with food. These factors can either influence eating behaviors in a healthy way or contribute to problematic, or disordered, eating behaviors. ​

Struggling with Food or Exercise Issues?

Take a free and confidential online eating disorder screening here or see the "Seeking Help" section below.

What Healthy Eating Looks Like

Eating a variety of foods
    Enjoying food without guilt or anxiety
    Eating when physically hungry
    Eating until satisfied, but not overly full
    Enjoying treats and comfort foods on occasion

Signs of Problematic Eating

Recurring episodes of under- or overeating
    Eating in response to emotions instead of hunger
    Eating to a point of physical discomfort
    Preoccupation or distress regarding weight and frequent comparison to others
    Inappropriate behaviors to compensate for eating such as self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, diuretics, enemas, fasting, or excessive exercise

Types of Eating Disorders & Symptoms

While eating disorders may first appear to be weight-focused, food can also become a coping mechanism for feelings or emotions that may otherwise seem overwhelming. Over time, these behaviors will damage an individual’s physical and emotional health, self-esteem, sense of confidence, and control.

Binge Eating Disorder (BED):
    Characterized by repetitive, uncontrolled eating of large amounts of food in a short period of time, without behaviors to prevent weight gain. People who suffer from BED may frequently experience feeling out of control when eating––they may eat when not hungry or in response to emotions, eat to the point of discomfort or eat alone out of shame for their behavior. Binge-eating is sometimes, but not always, associated with obesity. Learn more

Anorexia Nervosa (AN):
    Characterized by restrictive eating (such as fasting or extreme dieting) that leads to weight loss. Compulsive exercise routines and other persistent behaviors may also be taken to prevent weight gain or promote further weight loss. Those suffering from AN commonly exhibit an intense fear of weight gain and/or an obsession with weight. Some sufferers of AN may also exhibit an obsession with athletic performance and will engage in strenuous exercise and dieting to an unhealthy extent. Learn more

Bulimia Nervosa (BN):
    Characterized by frequent episodes of consuming large amounts of food, feeling a lack of control over eating and followed by behaviors to prevent weight gain. These behaviors include but are not limited to 1) self-induced vomiting, 2) abusing laxatives, diet pills, diuretics or enemas, 3) fasting and/or 4) compulsive exercising. People suffering from BN may also exhibit an intense fear of gaining weight. Learn more

Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS):
    Includes feeding or eating disorders that cause significant stress or impairment, but does not meet the criteria for the eating disorders explained above. Disordered eating presents in many different ways. Learn more

Seeking Help

Eating disorders affect people of every age, race, gender, culture, and socioeconomic status. Much like the individuals they affect, they are unique and complex, and may not fall into a clear category. If you are concerned about your own eating and exercise habits, or thoughts and emotions surrounding food, physical activity and body image, or if you’re concerned about a friend or loved one, we urge you to seek help. If you're seeking help outside of the US, see our Global Eating Disorder Support section. (Bottom of linked page.)

For Yourself:
    If you’re struggling to have a healthy relationship with food, body image or exercise, our partners, the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA), can help. If you’re not sure if you suffer from disordered eating or exercise habits, start by taking their free and confidential Eating Disorders Screening Tool. You can also seek help by calling the NEDA Helpline (From the US: 1-800-931-2237),
    chatting with a NEDA volunteer or by visiting their website for additional resources, including in Spanish.

For a Friend or Family Member:
    If you are concerned about the eating habits, weight, or body image of someone close to you, NEDA offers great resources for friends and family members, including a toolkit to help you understand how you can support a loved one with an eating disorder, and the Parent, Family & Friends Network.

Learn more.

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have an eating disorder even if you don't want to admit it. But what you are dealing with is not physically or emotionally healthy and going restrictive to vegan isn't necessarily the answer. Talk to a doctor, therapist and/or nutritionist. Good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't matter what this problem is. The first thing to do would be to find out why you aren't happy with yourself and that would cause me to look for professional help. What you describe is really out of our abilities to help with, not due to lack of wanting to help or caring in general.
  • myamg16
    myamg16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, i totally understand cause i was over 105kgs now im sitting on 76kgs and i feel at my best but put nutella in front of me it's all over,its my addiction
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Please seek some help from a doctor or therapist. You sound so unhappy & confused, it's important to get some professional help to get yourself on a better track. You deserve to be happy!