Quitting Smoking Without Binge Eating?

2»

Replies

• ThermoDust
    ThermoDust Posts: 33 Member
    I am trying the same thing. First time I tried to quit I was SO angry the first few days and was going to visit my sister and kids that I just smoked again so I wouldn't take it out on them. Starting tomorrow I am going to try again, but this time I am going to start with the smoking portion not the nicotine part. I am replacing the cigarettes with nicotine toothpicks. Not 100% sure it will help but I know I cannot just go cold turkey without major problems.
  • GlitzyKismet
    GlitzyKismet Posts: 9 Member
    I quit cold turkey on my third attempt, roughly four years ago. Sounds silly, but the thing that saved me when trying to quit were drinking straws! They're about the same diameter as a cigarette, so I would cut the straws down to cigarette length and suck on those when I got a craving. It had the same "feel" in my hand as a cigarette, and you still got the "inhale/exhale" feeling. And because you're consciously slowing your breathing down to suck air through the straw, it provides a relaxation effect like a deep-breathing exercise would.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    Talk to your doctor about Zyban, it completely erases the craving & may help you along with a smoking cessation program.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. You smoke while you read it - by the end I was desperate to grind out my last cigarette. I had a brief relapse about 6 years in, but read the book again and it must be over 15 years altogether now. I was a 20 a day Rothmans/Embassy smoker...
  • iwatchthesunrise
    iwatchthesunrise Posts: 4 Member
    Yes! Help! I just completed 24 hours of smoking. However, I feel so queasy right now AND yesterday I found myself eating a lot. I tried to choose healthier foods to binge on, but anything that isn't in moderation is a bad thing anyway.
    I'm over smoking, though.
    I'm over being unhealthy, too.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    edited March 2016
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Vape. I smoked for over half my life and never once tried to quit. I started vaping in the summer and reducing the nicotine content in the juice slowly over a few months. I haven't had a cigarette since I started and now I reach for my vaporizer maybe once a day or twice on a stressful day.

It allows you to tone down the nicotine, but still lets you go through the motions of smoking.

It doesn't smell, you don't have to a finish a whole cigarette, you can just take a few puffs here and there, it doesn't cost a lot, it's easy and it really does help you quit smoking. If you lower the nicotine to zero but still enjoy the motions and feeling of vaping, you can do so with 0 nicotine.

I recommend to anyone having a hard time, me and my partner did it together and it saved us from murdering each other.

My husband's best friend did this, and it worked for him, but I've seen so many articles come out lately about how vaping has its own health risks. Maybe I could use it just for a transitional period...

They probably do have health risks, but they aren't nearly as bad as the risks of continuing smoking. I quit with them. I used them for 2.5 years before finally ditching them and nicotine all together. And when I did that, I still had a binge period. It's awful, but sugar cravings are a withdrawal symptom.

Vaping provides the nicotine in a more satisfying way to a smoker than gum or patches. I eventually realized I was no longer vaping because of the smoking habit. At that point it was all about the nicotine, and that's when I decided to go cold turkey.

If it weren't for vaping, I'm certain I would still be smoking. If no other method has worked for you, I highly recommend giving it a shot.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Wanted to give you all the update: I picked up a vaporizer and it's really been helpful. I do still have an occasional cigarette, but it's less than 2 a week, and I can string together multiple weeks without one.

I started vaping at 18mg, and I've made my way down to 6mg juice. I'm hoping I can cut it all the way down to 0 and then stop completely.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Wanted to give you all the update: I picked up a vaporizer and it's really been helpful. I do still have an occasional cigarette, but it's less than 2 a week, and I can string together multiple weeks without one.

I started vaping at 18mg, and I've made my way down to 6mg juice. I'm hoping I can cut it all the way down to 0 and then stop completely.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

That's awesome! I started smoking during my divorce a few years ago. It started out as a way to deal with stress, and as the stress increased, it became a habit. I was able to quit with vaping. I've almost quit vaping occasionally, but I still take it to bars and places where I'd be tempted to smoke. I keep one in the car too because I used to like smoking while I drive (I drive A LOT). A lot of people give vaping a hard time, but I know so many people it has helped stop smoking. I'm glad it's working for you!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    When I quit smoking I used all of the extra anxiousness to exercise more. I actually LOST weight from quitting.