Day 14 and I feel bigger

Options
samiadg
samiadg Posts: 18 Member
Gosh I've been working out, eating right, not eating anything after 6:00 p.m. quit coffee, drink tons of water, weighed myself today and I got 0 traction and my clothes feel tighter. Anyone experience this? Any tips?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you just added more exercise, you could be retaining water. This is very common. But you say you are "eating right". What does that mean? Are you in a calorie deficit? Using a food scale?

Also meal timing does not matter when it comes to weight loss.
  • samiadg
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I am doing 1200 calories a day. and yeah, using food scale.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes a loss can take a couple weeks. But you really should see something this week coming. Would you want to open your diary?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    When you eat your food has no bearing on weight loss. Just something to keep in mind for the future.
    Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks or so for your body to adjust to the changes you make and it retains water for awhile. Give it time. It'll start to happen soon.
    Also, keep an eye out on your sodium levels. That will cause water retention as well.
  • samiadg
    Options
    Paytra, yes, thats true. I didnt expect to see changes within the first month or two, but I certainly didnt expect to gain. You are right, it may be the water. Arditarose, I dont know what you mean about opening a diary. Thank you ladies for your response :).
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Under your profile there's an option to open your diary to the public so that other members can take a look at your exercise and food diary. It's easier to help with what may be going wrong if we can see how you're recording intake.

My bet is that it's water and/or muscle gain. You don't say what exercise you're doing, but if you're weight training at all, that can cause water expansion the first few weeks. Also if you're body isn't used to limited calories, it can rebel, and cling to water. Give it a few weeks, and try taking your measurements as well as stepping on the scale. The scale sees everything, the measuring tape only sees what's there. :)
  • samiadg
    Options
    Oh, I didnt realize thats what 'open diary' meant. thanks Elizabeth! Yeah I am weight training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times within the same week. I didn't really measure myself, but the common theme i'm hearing is to just give it time. It's only week 2 after all :smile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If you're weight training, your muscles are growing. They'll expand a bit before they start to shrink. That's why your clothes are feeling snug. Keep at it, you'll do amazingly if you still with it :smiley: :
  • samiadg
    Options
    Thanks sabified. I forgot to mention to everyone i am also recovering from a car accident so my workouts arent as intense as they sound and that the last couple of weeks have been super tough. after almost 2 years, i'm attempting to get on track. having said that, i had no idea that the muscles expand before they shrink, good to know Thanks again Sabified. and everyone else on here who replied.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym, and watching what I eat I actually gained some weight. I was frustrated at first but then realized it happens to a lot of people. It will go back down soon, as long as you're sticking with your plan!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Also don't forget about water weight gain & bloat from having your TOM. I typically gain 5 pounds of water weight & 1 inch around my waist.
  • samiadg
    Options
    Wow. Thanks guys. Now I know Im not crazy. That's great re assurance. Thank you
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago now. I was eating 1,200 calories a day, and weighed just over 140 pounds. Had a paunchy belly that I hated, and virtually no muscle mass. After much trial and error, I actually found I did better when I dropped the cardio and just focused on heavy lifting, and increased my calories to 1,400, then 1,600, then 1,800/day. My profile picture is me about 2 weeks into a bulk. I only weigh 5 pounds less than I did when I had my paunch belly, but I've put inches *on* in all the right places.

Everyone works differently, so take advice as it is. MFP can be a great resource to getting answers to the questions you have, so long as you're open-minded. Remember to have patience, because these things take time. (Lots and lots and lots of it). But if you're dedicated, the results are worth it. I agree with Steph in regards to getting a food scale, because you really don't know how much you're eating unless you're weighing it. We can always look into your diary too and point you in the right direction in that regard.

Best of luck to you on your journey-- keep us updated! :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    sabified wrote: »
    If you're weight training, your muscles are growing. They'll expand a bit before they start to shrink. That's why your clothes are feeling snug. Keep at it, you'll do amazingly if you still with it :smiley: :

If she's truly in a deficit then muscle growth is extremely difficult, close to impossible. Strength training during a deficit is meant to help retain muscle, but wont build it. What does happen is that muscles will hold onto water to help repair any damage caused during exercise and that can cause water weight gain and bloating.
  • samiadg
    Options
    Wow, how enlightening. brb_2013. that makes so much sense. Nekonemeow: you look great. hope my flabby arms looks as amazing as yours at some point. Thank you both for the encouragement. God bless!