Marathon Training

Options
Hi my names Alex and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to train for a marathon I rub it in about 5 months I've been training for about 3 months now but was looking for others advice on what's successful for you and if there is anything I can do better or should be doing. Thanks for the help

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Run lots, google "free marathon training plan", don't eat too much, search some of the run threads in this section.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    xTrapp14 wrote: »
    Hi my names Alex and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to train for a marathon I rub it in about 5 months I've been training for about 3 months now but was looking for others advice on what's successful for you and if there is anything I can do better or should be doing. Thanks for the help

What's your current mileage? How many days per week do you train? How long have you been running?
  • xTrapp14
    xTrapp14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I run 4-5 times a week and right now I can run around 5 miles in 45-55 minutes but I really haven't pushed to see how much further I can go just because it's winter right now
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I run 4-5 times a week and right now I can run around 5 miles in 45-55 minutes but I really haven't pushed to see how much further I can go just because it's winter right now

I like the theory that Phil Maffetone has, running almost all training at a lower heart rate to prevent injury. This makes you faster at lower heart rates, and your able to run all day at a quick pace.

I'm looking to do a marathon, and a 160 mile bike ride, this year and have been training as he spells out on his website. But I'm also coming from a very high weight and am not looking for any specific time either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So most training plans are about 16 weeks long and seem to assume about 30 miles per week as an entry level. IT's just a question of finding a plan that works for you, for the moment.