About oil

Options
Do you cook with oil? What is the best one? What is the difference between olive and sunflower oil?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is regarded as healthier as it has less omega-6 fats and more mono-unsaturated fats.

Different oils have different "smoke points" if you're frying, and obviously different tastes. I use several.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil all day long, clean taste and smells sooooo yummy when cooking x
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sunflower not good because of Omega 6's. Best are Coconut Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, and Avocado Oil.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cook with oil if you are not used to it. You can cook chicken in a bit of chicken broth. If you feel you must get oil in your diet a better way may be to put extra virgin oil on a salad with a bit of vinegar. Cooking evoo at high temperatures can kill it beneficial polythemols.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If your oil isn't smoking, it's fine. And I think you mean polyphenols. Overcooking or burning any food destroys some of the nutrients.

I use mostly olive oil. Plant fats are needed in one's diet. Not much reason to use 'extra virgin' in cooking, but most think it tastes better as a dressing.
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually use coconut oil or olive oil depending on what I'm cooking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I actually don't cook with oil. Since I use it so little, I'm fine with whatever olive oil I get.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil in cooking. I use canola oil for baking. And, I do use butter occasionally.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, or butter (or a combination) for most things and coconut oil when that particular taste would be good to add to a dish.