Exercise and bad knees...suggestions?

Options
Hi all,
I started my weight loss challenge only yesterday. However, I have an old injury to my knee, and the extra weight I'm carrying really isn't helping.
My question to you lovely lot is, does anyone have any exercise suggestions for someone with bad knees? What kind of cardio can I do that doesn't involve my legs?! I'm 33 and looking to lose 3 stone.
Thanks in advance everyone! Xxx

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation and lost >60lb (4 stone) using an elliptical and swimming. Once I lost the excess weight I took it easy and gradually incorporated jogging to running. I worked with a physical therapist after a knee injury 20 yrs ago and he gave me several strength exercises to focus on to avoid/delay surgery.

Can you comfortably do elliptical?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you can, swim or do water aerobics. Biking is easier on the knees than anything requiring you to be on your feet, and working on the elliptical is easier on the knees than walking, but can be more difficult in other ways.
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a knee injury and doing light weights exercises exercises at the gym for my legs has helped slowly make pain go away because the other muscles support my knee
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you can, swim or do water aerobics. Biking is easier on the knees than anything requiring you to be on your feet, and working on the elliptical is easier on the knees than walking, but can be more difficult in other ways.

I would also advise you this. Swimming is amazing, as is any aerobic activity in the water. Not sure for biking tho, but elliptical is great if you want to do something in the gym.
    If all of these are too hard for you to start, do walking first. Make sure to have good shoes that will support your foot properly and lower any impact as much as possible.
    Once you start losing weight you should do exercises to strenghten your knee, but you should advise your doctor first which ones, as it depends on your type of injury.
    Good luck!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    After my knee surgery the first thing I was allowed to do was cycling. It is amazing for knees...
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis and my Dr told me that swimming is the best cardio for people with joint/bone problems. It's not exactly easy to find places to swim during the winter, though. At least not where I live. You could try biking?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lose the 3 stone and really think if you intend living the rest of your life doing nothing energetic with your legs!
    (Surgery not an option?)

Cycling is great for most people, controlled ROM, no impact and as challenging as you want it to be. Great for quad strength which really helps with knee stability.
    I've had three major and two more minor knee injuries and can't run any great distance but can cycle all day to a reasonable standard.

BTW - be cautious with swimming, breast stroke kick isn't great for damaged knees.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    controlled ROM

ROM - Range Of Motion. Yes?
  • vansnyder
    vansnyder Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have developed knee problems from aging and trying to do what I did when younger, I found I can not use a treadmill anymore, (it hurts my knees), I cannot walk far (especially when it is cold out). But I can use the elliptical machine and do leg extensions and curls with my bowflex. So I sold my treadmill and purchased a used elliptical and am able to excercise with those. I also found if I use my elliptical it strengthens and helps support my knees with more muscle so I can walk much further without problems. If in doubt, go to a sports store and try their elliptical for a few minutes and see how it affects your knees.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had knee problems for years, ACL surgery in 1996. For me cardio machines or running is not enough. I have to keep up with strenghth training, and keep all the leg muscles strong (not just quads). Personal trainers can be good, but they can also be hit or miss in terms of quality. Can you work with a doctor for physical therapy referral? W when my knees stay hurting I go back to those exercises, they help me the best.
  • HughesC82
    HughesC82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys it's really helpful! I think when I lose some of the weight my knees will improve a lot but it was knowing what to do that will help me reach my goal without doing myself an injury in the meantime!
    A few of you have mentioned the elliptical so I'm going to get on google and do some homework on it!
    Cheers!
  • pam_spears
    pam_spears Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I had an ACL repair, the physical therapist recommended the elliptical as my first cardio-type exercise, since provides a controlled situation. I have knee pain now just from being older and overweight, but walking is really helping, both the knees and the weight loss.
  • rlovell456
    rlovell456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of the best things for relieving knee pain is to strengthen the muscles around them, so you definitely want to get the legs involved in your exercise routine. Start with low impact cardio like cycling, but include some strength / flexibility exercises as well. There'll be pain at first (been there), but it gets better and better if you stay with it.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike as you have a controlled range of motion and you don't have your body weight to factor. Second choice would be elliptical. At the same time, weight training to increase the strength of the quads and hamstrings to provide more support.

This is what I have started back on...after almost 2 months no knee issues...I have had crappy knees since HS when I had a tear of my posterior cruciate...throw a few other issues and now age...I am very careful.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have knee problems too I had ACL done in 93 and then last month I had my meniscus and some other small injuries fixed slowly trying to start exercising again anybody have any suggestions for strength exercises for leg squats do not work for me.