Discouraged By Weight Fluctuations

Options
Hi All! I think I just need to vent at this weight loss beast!

I have been faithfully logging my intake for the past 33 days. After 3 weeks, I was down about 5 lbs and feeling great. Meeting my deficit each day.

I got a Fitbit HR, and based on reading the group, changed my activity level to sedentary, and then only ate back a portion of the adjusted calories. My activity level also dramatically increased. All in all, things awesome.

Then, stepped on the scale....and I gained back all but 1 lb. Total discouragement. Attempted to be positive and think about water weight etc. But still, huge blow.

Did measurements. They haven't budged. Only thing that has moved, is my %body fat, according to my Fitbit Aria scale has gone down 2%.

Ironically...I just feel fatter than ever!

This has really kicked my butt. For the past 4 days, I've been eating more than I should (ok, not too crazy, at just around maintenance level....but still).

Guess I just need the kick in the butt to get over this hurdle...and to hear from others that this does get easier!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Start logging your weight on an app that allows for running averages. It will give you a graph that accounts for fluctuations, and allow you to see your overall progress, rather than the daily/weekly changes that can seem drastic and discouraging. Also, unless you're quite small, you probably won't see measurement changes until you've lost a good bit more weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you've got a fitbit set up a trendweight.com and get trends

And just keep going at least you know it's water weight fluctuations
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have fluctuated every week since I started 19 months ago. I usually fluctuate for 7-14 days before the next drop. It is a fact of life. I just make it a game every morning guessing if the scale will be up, down, or the same. So don't stress about it. Get used to it. Accept it. You cannot change it. (That's my loving kick. )
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg

Weight fluctuations are perfectly normal even if you're in a calorie deficit.

This is my October, charted in Happy Scale (iPhone). It did not worry me at all.

878C3ED6-22D4-44A6-8466-685189D77ED7.png_zpsc614zbc9.jpeg

Water, hormones, sodium, glycogen stores - all of these can hide your fat loss for a short while... but not forever! Kind regards and don't worry.
  • lexey85
    lexey85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feeling using mfp a year ago weight dropped off me every week was a 5-3lbs loss and I've started it back up and nothing I actually gained 3lbs of the 4 I lost!

I feel more bloated than ever and it's pissing me off in all honesty!! I'm still determined to continue tho... Keep us posted
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I have fluctuated every week since I started 19 months ago. I usually fluctuate for 7-14 days before the next drop. It is a fact of life. I just make it a game every morning guessing if the scale will be up, down, or the same. So don't stress about it. Get used to it. Accept it. You cannot change it. (That's my loving kick. )

Yup...i seem to only lose weight in the second half of my cycle.

So i fluctuate up 3-5lbs from my period to ovulation...then usually see a drop to a new low arount 5 days after i ovulate. Then once my period arrives i fluctuate 3-5lbs from my new low. Im averaging 5# a month still though!
  • Razzyirt
    Razzyirt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

This has been helpful...I think sometimes this is a harder psychological game than physical (at least for me!) I get the mind set that what does it matter anymore...which is not so good.

I have to look at the positives, and the good changes I have been making. And look at long term more than short term.

I did fall off the wagon a little, so to speak. But I'm picking myself right back up, and I'm going to keep going!

It was a rough week for me, and when this has happened in the past, I have turned to food to cope. So, I'm working on changing those habits, slowly but surely.

Thanks for the support y'all :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Razzyirt wrote: »
    Hi All! I think I just need to vent at this weight loss beast!

I have been faithfully logging my intake for the past 33 days. After 3 weeks, I was down about 5 lbs and feeling great. Meeting my deficit each day.

I got a Fitbit HR, and based on reading the group, changed my activity level to sedentary, and then only ate back a portion of the adjusted calories. My activity level also dramatically increased. All in all, things awesome.

Then, stepped on the scale....and I gained back all but 1 lb. Total discouragement. Attempted to be positive and think about water weight etc. But still, huge blow.

Did measurements. They haven't budged. Only thing that has moved, is my % body fat, according to my Fitbit Aria scale has gone down 2%.

Ironically...I just feel fatter than ever!

This has really kicked my butt. For the past 4 days, I've been eating more than I should (ok, not too crazy, at just around maintenance level....but still).

Guess I just need the kick in the butt to get over this hurdle...and to hear from others that this does get easier!

Thanks guys!

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I spike up both at ovulation and before menstruation. My appetite goes up before menstruation too, and I eat at maintenance levels for a few days.