New mom, fear staying at home will add pounds

I don't know if any other women or Stay at home dad's have this fear but I worry that having a brand new baby will keep me too busy from eating enough (I never eat unless I remember to or make time) or I'll turn into a lazy slob and only eat and stay on the couch. So I downloaded mfp and I hope it'll make me maintain my weight.

For the very first time in many years I look healthy thanks to my pregnancy. I was a twig before and added just enough pounds where I needed them. I'm back to my flat stomach at 1 month post-birth, but want to keep it that way.

Anyone with tips or advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    You've set your goal to maintenance so...just eat at maintenance.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    You can still do quite a few things with baby, like go for a walk while pushing baby carriage. There's even exercises where they use toddler as weight for lifts :smile: It really depends on what you want to do.
  • KR226
    KR226 Posts: 14 Member
    There are at home exercises you can do, like push ups, and all that. Scheduling those in the morning, usually works out for the best, and keeps you on track. You can always use Sundays for planning out meals for the week, and if you need to, set an alarm to remind yourself to eat.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I loved being home. I put on a baby backpack and went out every day for a long walk. I found new friends who were home - partly through Le Leche League, but other buddies too - and visited them. We exercised with the kids and exercised together. Some days my exercise was walking the grocery store or Lowes, but I went out every day. You will start noticing that there are other parents home with little ones too.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I was in decent shape pre-baby and had about 15lbs of extra baby weight after. We moved to a new state/city when our kid was 6 months old. I walked a lot with the stroller, going to local parks, play dates & errands. I lost all the baby weight and was back in pre-preg clothes. Then we bought a house in the suburbs and I walked less. Even with a gym membership I put on 10 lbs. even when I was back at pre-preg weight my body was different because pregnancy does that. I was flabbier. I started a progressive lifting program when my kid was 3. I've lost all the extra weight and then some. I'm 46, 5'2" and went from 137-118.8. I'm leaner than I've ever been in my life and I love it! Plus, I like to think I'm showing my daughter how to be healthy, how to love her body and that women are strong. You stay in shape but you will need a solid plan. Children make scheduling difficult. Get help from family or join a gym with child care. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    After my first baby, I got thin quickly. I don't know if I was too busy to snack, or if breastfeeding burned the calories, or what. I do know that I cooked healthy dinners often and walked around the neighborhood with a friend of mine. So maybe that was it. I didn't worry about calories or anything.

Unfortunately I have since gained weight but that is not due to "staying home".
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    From an exercise perspective, just remember you don't have to do everything at the same time. Try to make a few 5-10 minute intervals during the day...have a routine set up on different body parts or some quick aerobics...jump rope for 5 minutes, if you can :-). Key is to prevent getting in mind set to not do it because you don't have time ..translating into 1/2 or hour at a time. Baby will keep him/ herself amused for 5 minutes just watching you :-). Hey, and baby will like long walks outside as much as you !
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    I'm currently pregnant and will be home for about a year when baby is born. My plan is to go for a long walk everyday with the baby and run errands, get groceries etc. I really love weight lifting so I also hope to let my husband watch the baby 3x a week so I can get to the gym. You can do it!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    The hardest part is staying away from the kitchen and keeping busy so you don't want to snack all day.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    As long as you aren't overeating, you won't gain weight... that being said, don't be afraid to strap that baby into a carrier and go on adventures... My mom sprung for a hiker's style stroller when we were little, and we went pretty much everywhere.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Naw I'm a SAHM / homeschooler. I actually lost weight being a stay at home mom. The key for me is foisting all of the baked goods that I make (I love to bake) upon neighbors, coworkers and friends instead of eating them myself.

Other than that, don't keep trigger food in the house.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    See if there is a strollerstrides class near you, they are great! Also check out workout videos on youtube.