Joining a running club

Options
I'm just after people's thoughts/experiences regarding running clubs/groups. I'm considering joining one (there are about 3 or 4 that operate in my local area, which are open to everyone and all meet for runs which are located within reasonable driving distance in my town). I've never been part of one before, but I'm thinking about joining for two reasons: none of my friends like running, and I'd like to meet some people who do so I have a bit of company on long runs. I regularly do my local parkrun and that's a very social and welcoming thing, but I feel a bit shy about joining a running club! I also think I would push myself more training with other people, as sometimes I let myself slack off a bit when I'm out on my lonesome.
Is anyone, or has anyone been in the past, part of a running club? Did you enjoy it? Was there anything you really didn't like? I'm really interested in both positive and negative comments.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually joined a running club (but may be shortly for the half marathon coaching - I want to break 2 hrs this year). I suspect the biggest thing to watch for is that your goals are compatible with the clubs purpose.....I'd never join a competitive club (well, they probably wouldn't let me in anyway..) as I'm an over-the-hill recreational runner.

Typically I train alone but understand what you mean about a group helping you take it to the next level.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very informal one!

One of the local running stores (about 10 minutes from my house) does a group run every Tuesday. We meet at the store and run 3-5 miles. With it being winter, attendance is lower (generally 2-3 people, plus someone from the store to lead us) but when the weather is good, we've had up to 10 people of varying paces.

I found it's a lot of fun, and it's made me more consistent with getting my runs in as I do go just about every Tuesday. I'll skip if the weather/roads are bad (after a major snow storm, or when it's 1 degree outside and windy).

I say try one out for a week or two and see what you think. If you're not entirely comfortable, try one of the others :)

~Lyssa
  • PunkRockChris
    PunkRockChris Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes! Do it! I've had an absolutely awesome experience with my running club. But it depends on the club you are joining. I think in my area there are some really competitive run clubs and some social running clubs. I joined one of the social clubs in September of last year. We meet at a bar every Wednesday. Runners gather and mingle in the outdoor until about 15 minutes after the start time when we step off. The group leaves the bar and runs either a 5K route or 10K route - the routes are simple and the same every week so everyone is very familiar. After we finish there are high fives all around and then runners drift back into the bar for celebration beers and food. At this point it becomes more of a social club but even if you're new everyone has something in common - you're all runners!

Run Clubs are great motivation to get you out there running. Every week I have at least one day that I look forward to seeing my friends and running. Plus during the run you can feel at little motivation in knowing there is an ice cold beer at the end! :smile:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    As you mention parkrun, I'm assuming you're in the UK. There's no real disadvantage to joining a club, but have a think about what you want from it:
    - Most clubs (even competitive ones) will have runners of all abilities, but if they've got a junior section and coached track nights etc. which you are not necessarily interested in, the membership fees are likely to be more expensive to cover the costs associated with that.
    - But it doesn't follow that small less 'serious' clubs are always the best option either - I used to belong to one of those and we just didn't have enough people to be able to welcome runners of all abilities. That wasn't because we were horrible, just that there weren't enough of us who could guarantee that we'd be out for a run every club night to have different pace groups or 'easier' runs for new runners etc. So ideally you'd want a club with enough runners around your level doing similar distances. You can get in touch with all the local clubs and let them know how much you're currently running and what pace, and they will tell you what they can offer.
    - Most clubs will welcome you to at least a couple of their training sessions or group runs before they ask you to join. So you can try them all out if you want.
    - Most local clubs will also have people doing your parkrun, so you should be able to chat to them there too.
    Have fun!
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a good idea. It really can help the miles fly by! Strongly encourage it
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am in two very informal "clubs." One is a group run that meets Thursdays that is organized by a local running shop, and the other is a big group of local rec runners. I love those runs because it's very social, low-pressure, and everyone is very supportive. It's nice to get around other people who run and don't think I'm nuts for running as much as I do! I'd highly recommend finding an informal club or group that doesn't focus on competition.

ETA: I do my mid-length runs with the group. I almost always do my longest marathon training runs solo. I find that I just cannot keep up conversation for 3 hours, plus I think doing my longest runs by myself is good mental training for race day. Other than that, I'm always down for running with a buddy, a group, or even a herd ;)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice! It seems most of the feedback has been positive, and you've given me a few things to consider as well.

All the clubs I'm looking at are free to enter, and open to anyone who turns up with their health check form. 1 of the clubs offer different group runs - everyone meets on a Wednesday night and there is a choice of 4 groups: 3 miles, 5 miles, 5 miles if you average below a 9 minute mile, and an 8 mile. I like that they cater for people with different goals. A different one, which meets closest to my house, is smaller and more laid-back/recreational. I think I will try both and see how I get on.

Just feel a bit of trepidation about turning up on that first night and being the awkward new person! Obviously there's only one way to get over that.