Help requested for thigh reduction.

Hello! What's the best advice for reducing thighs?? That's my trouble spot. I am a regular exerciser. I typically do intervals of working out with weights and running in the gym. Any advice.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Calorie deficit
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    You can't lose fat in a specific spot (spot reduction). All you can do is lose fat and let your body take it where it will.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    You can't spot reduce. The best you can do is keep a calorie deficit to lose fat all over.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce fat. We can work on strengthening and, with proper nutrition, building specific muscles. To lose fat on your thighs, eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. Keep in mind that if you are genetically programmed to have a certain body shape, you will not be able to change your overall genetics but you can optimize your shape/look/fitness level.
  • jennjenn760
    jennjenn760 Posts: 36 Member
    I tend to be bottom heavy, I gain muscle and fat very easily in my hips, thighs and butt. I noticed when I was able to thin them out I was in a deficit, had a no sugar diet, one cheat meal a week, and my trainer had me doing higher rep workouts with weights, 15-20 reps 4 rounds. A lot of super sets too to keep heart rate up. I ended up losing my butt basically, now I'm bulking doing heavier weight less reps and now most of my jeans don't fit my *kitten*. So I rather have some meat of my legs and butt then no butt. Good luck to you, I bet your legs are just fine, we are our own worst critics.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    There's no way to spot reduce .
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    As other people have said, there's no way to spot reduce--anyone who says otherwise is probably selling something. Fat loss happens all over the body. If you weight train to build lean muscle tissue in your legs, though, it will help your thighs look and feel firmer. Jennjenn760 is right, we are our own worst critics. Love your thighs for what they can do, for their strength and resilience!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well as they say you can't spot reduce but from my experience doing interval training, squats and lunges and walking many many miles over time I lost my thighs and got muscle. Also stair climbing!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Balanced diet, combined with cardio and weights will help you.
    You can target specific area, but exercises that are working your lower body will all help you.
    You need a well rounded exercise from waist down, that's the only way imo.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Embrace the thighs! Don't reduce them. Build those suckers.

What is your typical interval? Are you upping the weights periodically? Have you tried supersetting compound lifts? You may want to separate lifting days with cardio days.

I incorporated a 2-mile run at one point and found less improvement over time. I think it was because I wasn't progressing. I was maintaining. Then I found running bleachers or trails and progressed a bit.

Compound lifts are the best I have found for slimming. Try a program like SL5x5 for a few weeks and see if that helps you toward your goals.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    I feel like someone should tell you you can't spot reduce. That might be new information. Maybe someone will come along after me and let you know.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I wish I could say otherwise, but it's just about losing more weight (calories in calories out). Thighs are my trouble area too, and I didn't see a real difference in them until I started losing weight within my healthy BMI. I'm sure there were changes before that, but I didn't feel/notice them until then.