Already a Struggle

Options
Hello everyone.....I just recently joined MFP and love the tracking system. I have a problem with exercising....I HATE IT!!!!!!!! Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Replies

• prtykekedd
    prtykekedd Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 day shred, its 20 minutes a day for 30 days. Since you don't like to exercise its quick and I'm not gonna lie its a little challenging but its stuff you've seen before. Try it out and let me know what you think.
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    Try different exercises and see if you can find something you actually do enjoy :smile: You can also get creative (ie just going for a brisk walk around the neighborhood or going to the mall and brisk walking) and most of all, don't think of it as exercise!! Think of it as activity that is changing your life :happy: That would be my suggestion.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It took awhile to find something I truly enjoyed doing. Try as much stuff as possible until you find your nitch. A lot of people like zumba. I prefer jogging or biking :)
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred now & if you hate exercising I don't think this is where u should start. Start off slow & gradually work ur way up. Try walking- the Leslie Sansone series is great, it's something u can do at home in the living room. You can lose the weight on diet alone but you'll look alot better if you add exercise. Good Luck & Welcome to MFP!
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the 30 day shred after reading a lot of really positive reviews and, since I find myself making excuses, I am going to try to just do the video since it's only 30 minutes.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Try walking. Also look through the database and see the different activities that can count as exercise. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you can count! You will also find the more you do, the more you'll enjoy. Trust me, I hated exercise too and still not in love with it but as the weight comes off you'll feel like doing it! Good luck!!
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercising either, but I do it - 5 days a week. Cardio is the easiest for me - I get on a treadmill and read, or watch TV, or listen to good music - so try those things. I'm just starting strength training, and I get easily distracted and bored. I use the YMCA, and have hired a trainer to help me on my strength training days - he's someone I feel accountable to.

Find someone who will hold you accountable, and then just do what you have to.

I've been doing this since April 1st, and now I don't dread going to the gym. I put myself in situations where I have to (when I plan out my calorie intake for the day, I plan in where I MUST go and get more calories by working out or else I'll be over).

You just have to find what motivates you (for me, being able to eat a little more, or have a little treat here and there is what keeps me going).

Good luck!!!
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    I say start out with walking with music. After time move on to power walking then try the couch to 5k.. u can google it. In no time you will be like heyyy I can't wait to get outdoors! good luck
  • McButterfly68
    Options
    HI!

I really dislike exercise also, it is hard for me as I suffer from post exertional fatigue and pain afterwards due to an illness I have; but, I try to do something at least three times per week. Yesterday I walked with my dog for 30 minutes, and recently we got a gym membership on a scholarship (I am unemployed), so I go swimming with my kids and walk the treadmill or cycle. I also have Wii Fit that I use too, when I don't want to go out.

I have a friend who lives in a place where she cannot walk regularly, so she walks around her house and does basic exercise like toning calf muscles by standing on a step 1/2 way, and raising up, then down. She uses a large can of food (soup or something that weighs a couple of lbs) and reaches behind her head to tone her triceps so she doesn't have flappy arms...LOL!

Even if all you do is walk at a brisk pace, you will still get the benefit of cardiovascular exercise which will help you lose lbs.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Debora
  • EdilyB12
    EdilyB12 Posts: 42
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise! Start off walking at your own pace for 1 mile. Then increase your speed as you walk to power walking. You will feel the burn and you will notice that you are sweating but its still easy on your heart and not like running. You can do this around a track or just walk a mile each day around your neighborhood. It will feel great once you increase your walking speed. Hope this works!
  • cam14117
    cam14117 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of exercise either but I do like to be active. I make it into a game to see how many calories I can add to my day with a goal to have at LEAST 500 calories left over at the end of the day that will add to my weight loss. I'm not very competitive withother people but I'm VERY competitive with myself so this game works for me.
    The database has lots of ordinary activities like walking and gardening which fits into my normal day very well. I also wear a pedometer to measure steps and at the end of the day, I take the number of steps and divide by 2300 (MY average steps per mile) and assume 1/2 hour for every mile and take credit for that too.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I was already active before I joined, but I found adding a lunchtime walk made all the difference, plus I've discovered a load of new places to go and get healthy lunches from!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.....I just recently joined MFP and love the tracking system. I have a problem with exercising....I HATE IT!!!!!!!! Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

If you are new to exercise, start slowly and build from there. Go for a nice long walk or a bike ride. Build your endurance and eventually you will WANT to add more challenges as the weight starts to drop.
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I thought that was me, I was the overweight kid in school that came last and was chosen last but as I was near 40 a friend of mine wanted to join a gym so we did. We'd do the elliptical and then weights, even got a 30 minute workout with a trainer once. after 4 months of that it got old but we were seeing results, we got brave enough to join classes, OMGoodness, Love Zumba, Crazy Cardio, body sculpting and even pilates is not that bad. I'm addicted now and it is so rewarding to know that I can and do and keep up as well as all the skinny ladies do (Which I've learned to respect them because they actually have to work to look that way - something I thought they were born with - NOT!!) I encourage to do this for yourself, there has to be something you like whether it is dancing, boxing, there is something to win your heart over!!! Good luck, Norma - btw I've a total weight loss of 135 (Yeah, a whole person)
  • Disinte_GratioN
    Options
    Do the things you like but look at every activity as a workout........and do it often!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of exercising for exercisings sake. Never got the point of going to the gym and running on a running machine, or using an exercise bike and not actually getting anywhere... it just seems like rather a futile activity. I'm lucky enough to live at the beach, so for me the ideal workout is cycling to work (30 mins ish each way along the sea front). It's a great start to the day when the sun is shining, and I always feel a bit smug about saving the petrol money! I tend to listen to loud cheesey music on my ipod while I cycle, and I find the time flies.

The other option is to make exercise a bit social - I do exercise classes with friends and we take it in turns to cook for each other afterwards, or take walks with people. It really is less dull if you have someone to chat to.

Good luck xxx
  • pmusholt
    pmusholt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    well don't think of exercise think that you have to go swimming,or camping or your going to the mall and walk around and shop or your just going to see what they have.GO to the water park and take your kids or go to the beach. There's all kinds of way's to get around the exercise thing
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! I really don't do much exercising. I try to stick to the calories My Fitness Pal set for me and I just walk for about 20 minutes a few times a week. If you just do walking, just try to walk a different route each day to keep it different. Just that little bit of walking seems to be working so far for me. :smile:
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The wii fit is exercise but its fun
  • peytjalmom
    peytjalmom Posts: 76
    Options
    Dance! Put on your favorite music and boogie! It really is great exercise.