convenient "go to" foods

Options
annied000
annied000 Posts: 39 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I'm heading out to the grocery store later and would like to stock up on some convenient, healthy, snacks. During the week I'm always running around... Whether it's drop off/ pick ups from two different schools or working as a speech therapist going from house to house, I'm always on the go. I need to stock up on convenient, but healthy snacks/ small meals that require little to no prep.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    apples
    string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    almonds
    SmartFood Delight Popcorn (my fave of the low cal ones)
    Quest bars
    Blake's frozen dinners + some frozen veg ...just watch the calorie counts
    Healthy Choice Steamers; I like Beef Teriyaki and Beef Merlot
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When i got tired of string cheese i picked up some Jenny-o's turkey breast snack sticks. . 3 or 4 different flavors and yummy.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love wholley guacamole 100 calorie packs (use carrots to dip)... Really good and no prep needed!
    Greek yogurt is also a favorite of mine.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just discovered snow peas and hummus. Delish.
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I cook, I like to make extra, then pack the extras into snack size portions. Then I can easily have a pre-constructed balanced snack with protein, healthy fat, and healthy carbs with fiber.
  • annied000
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for the suggestions!!! Keep em coming. On a side note, I better eat something before I go or I'll wind up buying out the whole store!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Do you eat in the car between visits? Then maybe sandwiches, veggies on the side (grape tomatoes, carrot & celery sticks, radishes, etc), grab & go fruit (apples, bananas, quarter & core pears, etc), cheese, snack bars (Fiber One, for example), nuts, a carefully measured portion (or half portion) of a favorite higher cal snack.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers - I eat em dipped in yellow mustard, no bun
    Vitalicious Vita Tops - they're kind of pricey but it's a sweet snack for about 100 calories and they're packed with fiber so they keep you full between meals. My favs are the double chocolate and the banana choco chip. If you can find the Vita Loafs, those are even better - mini banana nut bread loafs for 50 calories each.
    Pickled Green Beans! SO good.
    Turkey Sausage Links -- 35 cals apiece and packed with protein, and they only take 30 seconds in the microwave!
  • nch1993x
    nch1993x Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt
    bananas
    eggs (hardboil a load of them at once, keep them in the fridge for snacks)
    carrot sticks & hummus (can buy the carrot sticks pre-cut to minimise preparation)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Quest bars
    Apples
    String cheese
    Bananas
    Hardboiled eggs
    Raw almonds
    Raw veggies and hummus (sugar snap peas are my favorite)
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What others said and I'd like to add one of my new favorites - rice cakes. They taste like popcorn, they are crunchy and low - cal. Another one is a piece of whole grain bread with cottage cheese.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter. I get the Better Than Peanut Butter kind just because it's half calories of regular. I only use it for apples lol. 100 cal for 2 tbsp (weighed 32 g) and 100ish for an apple depending on size (I weigh it) and it's a nice sweet snack and somewhat filling.

You can get to go packs of jiffy pb but I'm not sure how much is in it and how many servings/calories. Maybe share it. I get the small little Rubbermaid to go reusable cups w/lids to put pb, etc in.

Also pickles fit in the snack size ziplocs. When I packed my kids lunches they were in the rotation. At first other kids looked a them funny and made comments but then they'd want pickles too lol.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Non fat milk - it's my go to when I want to get my protien up without fat.
  • mifii10
    mifii10 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Watermelon (i eat this everytime i want to eat something, even if I'm not really that hungry.. it is so low in calories it's amazing!!
    Oranges (another favourite)
    Apples
    Berries
    Low fat milk + strawberry milkshake
    Lays forno
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    nch1993x wrote: »
    eggs (hardboil a load of them at once, keep them in the fridge for snacks)

Since starting on this high protein/low carb change it is amazing how many eggs I have eaten, especially hard boiled.

After seeing them sold at work pre-shelled, this is the only way to go. So easy and convenient. I boil up a 8-10 of them and peel them right away and let them air dry on the counter. Then I bag them up in packs of 2 in the snack sized bags and put them in the fridge and they are ready to eat no matter where I am.

I drive forklift at work and rarely get off it to eat at breaks and such. I have a paper bag that has my eggs in it along with a protein bar (I like Pure Protein so far), some mixed nuts or peanuts, string cheese, sometimes beef jerky. Handy and easy to deal with.
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A new favorite is chocolate rice cakes plain or with peanut butter. Only problem is that my kids have decided they really like this too.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts. Microwave it with a can of veggies & you have a meal in a couple minutes.
  • annied000
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Do you eat in the car between visits? Then maybe sandwiches, veggies on the side (grape tomatoes, carrot & celery sticks, radishes, etc), grab & go fruit (apples, bananas, quarter & core pears, etc), cheese, snack bars (Fiber One, for example), nuts, a carefully measured portion (or half portion) of a favorite higher cal snack.

Yes, I pretty much live out of my car! Great suggestions!
  • annied000
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions... I definitely will be adding some of these to my rotation!
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you are at home, don't rule out cereal and milk with fresh berries and nuts as a snack or meal. I like Shredded Wheat, bran flakes or Cheerios with blueberries and slivered almonds, banana and walnuts, or dried cranberries and pecans. If you weigh your foods, you could weigh out the cereal portions ahead of time and put them in ziploc baggies then just add the fresh fruit as needed. Same tip with pasta noodles. If you are not a religious measurer then this would be really easy, just watch the portion on the nuts. I also like homemade snack mixes like Cheerios, raisins, nuts, pretzels premade in little containers ready to grab when you need one. Pretzels or crackers with a nut butter or hummus is quick as well as the carrots and veggies mentioned above. I like Greek yogurt, too, but I enjoy fresh fruit to mix in with it. Coconut flavor goes great with berries, cherries, or pineapple. Precooked frozen chicken breast strips are super quick to microwave and toss into a salad, pasta, or wrap...I always have them in my freezer.