How can I become a morning exercise person????

Options
Hi Everyone!

So because of the extreme heat in my area (high of 106 today), the best time for me to run is early in the morning. I am most definitely NOT a morning person, but if I want to run, I'm going to have to become one.

Any advice from fellow night owls who have to work out in the morning??? I'm new in town and people are not active here (there aren't even sidewalks!) so I can't just run with a friend.

Thanks!

Replies

• stephwats84
    stephwats84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too!! The weather where I live here in TX is too hot and I want to wake up early before work and get a run/walk in!
  • Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tell people you're going running at a certain time, then you'll be more likely to stick to it.
    It's horrible when people start saying "how did your run go this morning?" and you have to admit that you didn't get out of bed!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i so want to know the answer to this! I hate working out at night when my boyfriend is home because we only see each other a couple hours a day so i would love to work out in the morning but i just don't want to wake up. I workout in my apt or at the apt gym so there isn't anyone to say, hey wake up! to me either
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I have to do it for at least 5 minutes and if after 5 minutes I really don't feel like it or I am too tired then I can call it quits and go back to bed. Have never gotten 5 minutes in and turned around and gone back to bed and I work out at 5 am. Once you get in the groove it really isn't so bad.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am slowly getting there. The best thing that has worked for me is to be up for 10 to 15 minutes before I go run. If I try to bolt right out the door it doesn't go well! Strangely the best morning run I have had so far started with a short drive to the park. I think the drive woke me up quicker b/c I had to be alert to drive!
  • mckelven
    mckelven Posts: 2
    Options
    Another way to do it is go to bed an hour or two earlier. Most people train their body to sleep only a certain number of hours in a row. You may find yourself waking up earlier even without an alarm clock. Personally I changed the time on the clocks in my bedroom forward two hours, I not only got up earlier but started moving around and getting ready to go because I was too tired to remember I changed the clocks.
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you figure out how to do it, please let me know! I am soooo not a morning person. I do all my exercising at night right now.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Really, there's no trick. It's HARD at first, but set your alarm, drag yourself out of bed and just do it. I'll admit, there's still some mornings that I sleep in, and make up for it that night, but it is getting easier.
  • biggahoona
    biggahoona Posts: 10
    Options
    You could Google and see if your community has a running club? That's a GREAT way to find people to run with.

I'm not a morning person but once you START (which is the hardest part) and keep it going for a week, it becomes more of a habit. I'm not a morning workout person by nature, but I sure like getting it out of the way - and beating the heat. I find that if I stop and think about it, I'm more likely to talk myself out of it and just not do it. If I keep going through the motions, getting my running duds on, filling my water bottle, getting my watch set, etc., I don't give myself time to think about and before I know it I'm out the door and running.

Getting started tips:
    Lay all your workout stuff out the night before so there's no thinking involved. Just put the stuff on and go.
    Have someone give you a wake up call or text that reads: RUN, Damnit! :happy:
    I actually set my timed coffee pot up in my bedroom when I was struggling to get myself motivated to get out of bed.

I had a wonderful morning run today, the birds were singing, the sunlight was filtering thorugh and bruning off the haze that was hanging in the air and surrounding the trees, and every blade of grass was sparkling with dewdrops. Runs like that definitely motivate me for more!
  • frenchielover
    Options
    I lay all my workout clothes, including shoes, headphones, HRM, water, etc. right in front of me so when I get up its the first thing I see. Then.....immediately go to a mirror so you see how hot you look in the morning (imo, you always look best in the morning...tightest! LOL). Then remind yourself what it takes to keep that look going.....and run right out your front door and don't look back.
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a morning person either. I work out at 7:30 am. I found that setting my clothes out the night before helped. I also find it great to get my workout over with in the am because then the evening hours are mine to do what I want...which is when most of my friends are awake anyways. I also feel like I am less likely to eat bad the rest of the day because I started my day on theright foot. Try it. I was totally not a morning person when I started but I am getting used to it.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    that would be awesome to know...

i thankfully have a treadmill in my house, so i run later in the evening. i would like to go out and run at some point though...
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is all about habbit. Once you get use to it it becomes easier....especially if you go to bed earlier. And put your alarm clock where you can't reach it from the bed then you have to get up to shut it off and you will be more likely to stay up. And I agree I lay out all my clothes, water, etc before I go to bed.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Start setting your alarm clock 5-10 minutes earlier each day so that in about a week you hit your "new" wake up time. During the week it's ok to hit snooze or just get up and be groggy. But, pick a day, say next Friday, that you MUST start working out when your alarm goes off. This will give your body some time to adjust to the transition.
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have been working out first thing in the morning for about 3 months now and absolutely love it. The hardest part is making yourself get out of bed. I do it to get exercise out of the way. i dont have to sit at my desk all day and think I have to exercise when I get off. Its done!! I also live in Texas so at 5:00 pm its HOT!! Just recently I have added a short evening workout, along with my morning workout. And feel great! You just have to make yourself get up!! Good luck!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Motivation to get up at say 0500 and run is very difficult to come by. It isnt easy, you hate the alarm clock, you dont want to leave the comfort of your blankets, so much easier to sleep some more...reset the alarm...you can work out later in the day, you'll make the time ..later....on.........
    Sound familiar? Now the benefits of it:
    Your testing your willpower every morning and winning when you take that first stride. The moment you feel the cool air on your face, your destination in mind, you take off....just you and the road. Early morning runs have their own aura, its a whole different world in the mornings, not the busy world we deal with, natures abundunt around you, it's like the air is fresher, you hear everything around you.Inadvertently you motivate others to work out later on in their busy day as they see you running that early, passing you by in their cars on their way to work. They envy your dedication which your completely oblivious to, your just running and feeling good. The rest of your day you find an abundance of energy as your body rewards you for your efforts. Your happy with yourself after your shower, you didnt realize how good you would feel afterwards, but it feels great! Pretty soon you wont struggle getting up to run, the only struggle will be how much farther or faster you will run this morning.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with those that say just do it and make it a habit. It is hard and takes adjusting to. I never thought I could get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out, but now I can't see not doing that!! It only took me a couple or 3 weeks to get into the habit. I love having my workout completed before the day has even started! No time to think up excuses not to workout!!

Good luck. Make a pact with friends or MFP friends to hold you accountable.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    With having to watch the grand kids early in the day all day and then it being hot out. I decided the best time for me to get my walk was early in the morning. I try to get up about ten after 5. and then I get dressed and grab me a quick drink and my walkman and head out the door. It is nice and cool and it is pretty light out though the sun has not quite gotten over the mountain yet. I have found other walkers/joggers have their morning routine also. It is so nice out and by the times I get back to the house, I get to see the morning sun rise. It also makes me feel good that I got it done and I do not have that worry on my shoulders all day that I am not going to be able to get my exercise in. Gets my feel good endorphins going to start the day off on a positive note.
    Enjoy your mornings!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5 of switch to morning workouts. My experience is consistent with other comments. Just do it. I also have it in my calendar now and do a 1 time per week early morning appointment with a trainer which I will not miss (a class could do the same thing)... I did start by going to bed earlier and doing it 2 days a week - I'm up to 6 now. Another mental trick is to get other things scheduled in the evenings so you have conflicts with your previous workout times! I'm to the point now, where I'm awake before the alarm goes off.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is the secret, now everybody pay close attention,,,,,,,, are you paying attention,,,,,, because this is top secret stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure if I should even be divulging this or not, I learned this from some world class morning people, and might be putting my life in danger if they find out I put this on a public forum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but what the hey, I feel I’m doing the world a favor, and mankind will be better off. So here goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, come real close now,,,,,,,, GO TO BED EARLY, AND SET YOUR ALARM TO GET UP EARLY. There now that it’s out there, feel free to pass it along to others you know that can’t figure out how to become a morning person.