Night Eating...

I have decided my biggest issue is eating after 7pm. I walk through the kitchen and automatically think i need a "snack"! I'm not even hungry!!! How do I quit this horrible habit??

I made it without doing it last night...but WOW was it rough!! lol

Replies

• tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    I don't have any suggestions. That is my BIGGEST problem also. My husband works 330 - 1130pm so I am home alone at night and it IS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    There is no reason you can't eat after 7pm. You just have to work it into your calories for the day!
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    I was a terrible late night snacker and it was really hard to break the habit. Try reaching for a stick of sugar free gum, or a sugar free hard candy. It will stay a while in your mouth, and you won't be tempted to raid the refrigerator.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I have that same problem! In order to resist the temptation, I have forced myself not to go into the kitchen once I've put my toddler to bed and I go to bed earlier so that I don't think about eating again. Other times, I have saved my extra calories for the evening so that I can enjoy a snack like popcorn or a Weight Watchers ice cream treat. Unfortunately, it is a habit just like anything else...smoking, gambling, etc. So, it is going to take a conscious effort to resist the temptation for 21 days (that is the estimated time it takes to form a habit) in our case it will mean "breaking" that habit.

Good luck!
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    I think as long as you plan for it, it's ok! I am a total evening snacker (the cals I eat at night are double my daily meals) but I just make sure that there's room for it in my calories and then I don't feel too bad and still see results!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    I'm exactly the same!
    I try and have my main meal as close to 7pm as possible to keep me full enough before I go to bed but it never works! I'm always rummaging around in the fridge about 8.30pm!
    So I try and take my mind off it by going for a bath and getting ready for bed instead :happy:
    I'm usually in bed by 10pm anyway as I have to get up early but if I'm upstairs where there is no food I'm safe :laugh:
    Px
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Me too!

I used to think if I just didn't eat as much during the day, like kinda 'save up' my calories for the night time, that might work.
    But it's very hard to do.

Last night, while I was watching TV in bed, I ate some chocolate my husband brought home. This morning I was SO mad at myself. I asked my husband if he wanted the rest of the chocolate he said 'no' so I tossed it all in the garbage. Now I feel guilty because I could have asked my neighbor if she wanted it before I threw perfectly good chocolate in the garbage. oh well. At least it won't be in my stomach.

But I am curious to see if anybody had this problem and solved it somehow. But I am pretty sure it's just all a matter of will power and getting rid of all the crap so I won't eat it.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    There is no reason you can't eat after 7pm. You just have to work it into your calories for the day!

Agreed. I do it all the time. Some yogurt, or a big apple, a few slices of watermelon. If it was a good workout day, a 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters and a slice of wheat bread (90 calories!) Good luck
  • addenafit
    addenafit Posts: 8 Member
    Perfect advise. Saving the calories especially (because things come up) if you go to a movie (popcorn)
    or if someone pops over you can have a small healthy snack if you've saved the calories . Like some one
    else on the forum said, I avoid the kitchen. I take a bottle of water upstairs (or wherever I'm hanging out) so
    I don't have 'the excuse' to vist the kitchen. It is too tempting.
    Another thing if you have to eat something. Make it some celery, or a small salad, or some carrots.
    If you're still hungry. ... you're right. "Go to bed"! :laugh:
  • I've decided that if I'm going to snack at night, it's going to be something that's pure protein. Who wants to binge on baked chicken or plain fat-free greek yogurt?
  • addenafit
    addenafit Posts: 8 Member
    Throwing it away is the best thing. Saving it for the neighbour can back-fire cause if you don't see them right away,
    the chocolate could end up in your tummy. (trust me) :smile: .
    Keep working on you goal, and .... Good luck.
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Hey---so why not just have some watermelon or grapes as an evening snack? It might be a few extra calories but they're good calories.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    I always, always have strawberries and apples in my fridge, so whenever I get cravings like that or whenever I walk by the fridge and want something to eat, I have fresh fruit at my fingertips! Denying yourself will only make you more likely to make less healthy decisions!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    We eat late in my house (typically around 8:30). Time of day does not matter, it's just the quality of food that you eat (and log every bite of course). I also eat after the gym and that works out well for me. One of my gym-mates said we eat like Europeans. That I think was the best compliment! :)

So if you're looking for healthy snacks to have at night (to help you meet your daily calorie goals) check out www.snackgirl.com
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    This topic is my nightmare. I eat so well till right before bed.
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    I've decided that if I'm going to snack at night, it's going to be something that's pure protein. Who wants to binge on baked chicken or plain fat-free greek yogurt?

thats how I am too. string cheese baby!! lol I just am always craving CARBS at night or sweets (no bueno). I just drink lemon water and eat cheese haha.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    P.S. Next time bring the chocolate in to work and share with your co-workers. Don't throw away good food--share it. You will feel much better about the whole thing. Also, if it's pure dark chocolate it actually holds great health benefits. Steer clear of the milk chocolate with all the extra fat, sugar and additives and you'll be okay!
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    I am a carb LOVER...I always have fruit in my house and veggies...but late night it is so much more tempting to grab chips or a bowl of cereal....or ice cream. Much rather find a way to not eat again until morning...

Don't get me wrong if there is a special event like going to the movies I'll have popcorn or something...
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    I find a cup of tea with a sweetener helps my post 7pm "got to eat" cravings! It doesn't matter how much I'veeaten during the day or how big my evening meal was. I did make the mistake once of drinking 2 cans of diet pepsi during the evening - never had a sugar/caffeine hit before then and had the most rubbish nights sleep ever!

B x
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I am a carb LOVER...I always have fruit in my house and veggies...but late night it is so much more tempting to grab chips or a bowl of cereal....or ice cream. Much rather find a way to not eat again until morning...

Don't get me wrong if there is a special event like going to the movies I'll have popcorn or something...

Snacking late is one of my BIGGEST issues. I've learned to get over the insane desire to eat late by telling myself I can have a GREAT breakfast. After eating late I feel sooooo crappy in the morning because I get bloated super easily.

A helpful thing for me if waking up not bloated isn't motivating enough, I find something fun to do. Like watching The Office, or I'll hang out with my boyfriend. It keeps my mind off the snacking =].

Last tip I'd give is drink something yummy. I know soda isn't good for you but one diet coke won't hurt, I normally have ice tea sweetened with splenda and lemon.

Hope this helps =]